Serves meat, veg options available. Offers a separate vegetarian menu where most dishes on it are vegan. Entrees come with steamed white, brown, or black rice. Protein choice include tofu and mock duck. Dessert includes vegan coconut ice cream. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Thai, Take-out, Delivery, Non-veg

RFerrero
RFerrero

Something Always Goes Wrong

Posted on 05 / 16 / 2015

I have dined in at Khun Kay and ordered out twice and every time there has been an issue. The problems are not so much with the food, which is adequate but not exceptional, but more with the service.

The staff does not seem to be very familiar with what items on their menu are or are not vegan. Both times I've dined in I was told at the register that an item on the menu was vegan only to have it delivered with fish or egg in/on it. Likewise, the staff at the registers are not entirely friendly or patient and have become short and snappy with me and my questions. I understand that being bombarded with questions is frustrating, but treating a customer rudely is not the best response.

The first time I ordered out my order was wrong and the second time they forgot about me and left me waiting for over 45 minutes! After my food was finally made I was not offered a refund or any compensation for the mistake which was frustrating.

I will probably come to Khun Kay again because it is close and quick, but there are definitely other sit down places I would rather be at.

Cons: unprofessional staff, not much clarity on what is/isn't vegan on the men
ParendiTirazBirdie
ParendiTirazBirdie

Wonderful vegan options!

Posted on 02 / 01 / 2015

Tasty place with mock duck and tons of veg options!

BobR
BobR

Good vegan options, but not well labeled

Posted on 10 / 24 / 2014

There are plenty of good options here, but the "vegetarian" versus "vegan" options are poorly labeled on their menu and the people working here do not seem well versed in knowing what items have dairy in them. For example, apparently all but one of their curries are made using cow milk/dairy. There was a bit of confusion when I initially asked about this, since most of the other curries are listed on the menu as having coconut milk. After clarifying with the manager, I was told all but the panang curry have both coconut milk AND COW MILK in them. This is nowhere labeled on the menu, so be careful if you're vegan, and ask twice about the items you order (and also urge them to better label their vegan menu items to avoid confusion).

Pros: Good vegan options (but not well labeled), Casual, friendly environment
Cons: Poorly labeled vegan versus vegetarian, Help not well versed in what's vegan

saveur
saveur

Love this gem

Posted on 04 / 28 / 2014

Nice Thai resto with lots of vegan option to appeal to many tastes. Can specify the heat of the dishes, so it can be as little or as much heat as you like. The mock duck was fun to try. I like that everything was fresh and filled with vegetables. The coconut sticky rice with mango (and coconut ice cream) was delicious, too.

Dear Owner and Manager of Khun Kay Thai Cafe: