Restaurant serving vegetarian Indian food and featuring Indian wine. Seats 85. Has an English menu and lift access. Specializes in South Indian cuisine, North Indian, and continental cuisine. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, International, Buffet, Beer/Wine, Take-out
1st Floor, Dannies House, 20 Luard Rd, Wanchai (Wan Chai MTR Exit C or A1, O'Brien Rd to Jaffe Rd entrance)
Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
852-2520-5308

Open Mon-Fri 12-3pm, 6-11pm, Sat-Sun 12-11pm.

First Review by kajaljewel
sfvoyage
sfvoyage

Lunch Buffet A Big Disappointment!

2 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2014

Usually, I go to my favorite Indian lunch buffet at Bombay Dreams (in Central district) whenever I'm in Hong Kong. Bombay Dreams is not vegetarian, but more than half of their items are vegetarian. I was keen to try Khana Khazana for the first time because it's 100% vegetarian and well-reviewed on here, so I went there today, but unfortunately it was a disappointing experience.

First and foremost, the food is quite standard and unexciting, and the selection - though every dish is vegetarian - is limited, with only about 10 items in the line-up. Plus just one dessert and one fresh fruit item. The lunch buffet includes one soft drink, but yogurt-based drinks are excluded. The ambiance is null; it is noisy; and the service is perfunctory.

By comparison, at Bombay Dreams, you can get a delicious mango lassi, and their vegetarian food selection is quite varied, extensive, delicious, and of much higher quality in taste and presentation. The decor is upscale, and the service is excellent. (I didn't mean to review Bombay Dreams, but that is my frame of reference and baseline for comparison, and Khana Khazana just pales in comparison in all respects.)

Finally, at about HKD97 per person for the lunch buffet, Khana Khazana does not represent value for money. At least now I know.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday September 17, 2014

Pros: 100% Vegetarian
Cons: Boring food; poor quality & variety, Bad decor, ambiance, noisy, Sub-standard service
mrrfrost
mrrfrost

Excellent Indian vegetarian

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2014

The food here is always excellent and is the best spot for Indian food in Hong Kong Island.

Particular favourites include the tandoori platter which is a sizzling plate of several items good enough for 2 to share.

The samosas are a good size and a portion consists of 3.

The daal makhani is also a very tasty dish. They serve poppadoms and a few sauces to start. The only extra thing I would like would be a sweet naan but apart from that it's perfect.

Service is fine and prices reasonable with most dishes around 60-80HKD.

Highly recommended.

Pros: Great food, Easy to get in, Good location
Cons: No sweet naan
Stevie
Stevie

Khana Khazana, Hong Kong

5 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2014

I had dinner here last night. Its authentic Indian (rather than Bangladeshi or the like labelled as Indian). I asked what was vegan and was directed to some things on the menu. I ended up plumping for the dosa which was the biggest that I personally have ever seen, the pancake was as wide as the table. Having said, the contents inside didn't extend anywhere near the full length of the pancake so it was still manageable in terms eating it all. It was served with sambar and coconut chutney. It tasted fine.

Its located one floor up in the lift.

Obviously there's terrific Chinese food to be had in HK. This though was a welcome change.

Update - I've eaten here a couple of times now. The second time I had a tomato soup followed by a mixed dahl with what I was assured was egg and dairy free nan bread. Its fabulous food they do here. I am upgrading my rating to a 5.
Updated from previous review on Sunday March 02, 2014

Pros: Vegan friendly, Terrific food

vagabond baker
vagabond baker

Go For The Lunch Buffet!

4 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2014

Delicious all you can eat veggie lunch buffet, lots of options. South and north Indian.
Was popular with business lunches.
Not sure how vegan everything was, you would need to inquire.
Not bad value for what you could have.

Pros: A Feast, Choice
Benvolio_32
Benvolio_32
  • non-vegetarian

Excellent food, nice atmosphere,attentive service

5 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2013

Went there on a friday night with my family. The range of available dishes is amazing, Southern Indian dishes (which are hard to get in many Indian restaurants in Europe) are well-represented. Portions are well-sized and the food is really tasty. The marinated and tandoor-roasted paneer is outstanding. I also recommend the masala papadum and the South Indian platter. The bhel puri is a huge in size, but quite spicy. Among the desserts, I missed barfi, but they have a very tasty, cardamom-spiced firni (creamy milk rice). We paid 812 HKD for five persons, including drinks. Many Indian guests. The atmosphere is nice and quiet, the waiting staff was very helpful and friendly. Highly recommendable.

Pros: excellent food, attentive service, nice atmosphere
bigcheezjd
bigcheezjd
  • non-vegetarian

Very good

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2010

Very tasty Indian vegetarian. Nice service. Clean. Has a perfect sampler plate for individual diners.

htenbos
htenbos

Excellent Indian vegetarian restaurant

5 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2010

Excellent Vegetarian Indian restaurant. The buffet luch that is available on weekdays is really recommended: various delicious dishes for a ok price: 80 HKD. Quality food, nice place.

Pros: Buffet, Food
sglcklch
sglcklch

Another great eatery for Indian food lovers

5 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2010

Came here on a Sunday looking to try their lunch buffet, only to find out that it's not available on weekends. So we ordered a la carte, and it did not disappoint at all. The food was wonderful, and much less greasy than many other Indian restaurants that I've eaten at. Waiting staff were attentive, the place was spotless. I wouldn't say it's cheap compared to other similar restaurants, but it was well worth every cent. Definitely recommended!

Pros: Food, Service, Cleanliness
Guest
Guest

Good

4 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2009

I love Indian food, and I was not disappointed with Khana Khazana. Although you can get vegetarian dishes at most South Asian restaurants in Hong Kong, there is something reassuring about the idea that there at Khan Khazana is no meat surreptitiously making its way into your supposedly vegetarian Chana Masala or what not. I encourage lacto-ovo vegetarians to try some of the other not-exclusively vegetarian South Asian places in HK as well (some of which are better value than Khana Khazana), but do give Khana Khazana a try.

Pros: good food, location
Powerbex
Powerbex

Favourite Indian Restaurant

4 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2009

Love this place! Owner and waiters are always happy to make dishes vegan upon request. Mushroom mutter and dahl are my favourites.

JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible
  • herbivore

It is the best "Indian" now in Hong Kong

4 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2008

Yes - I fully agree with the previous Reviewer.

I really enjoy my meals in Khana Khazana now.

The restaurant looks to be doing good business.

On my last visit it was busy with Indian family groups & business people dining.

The lunch-time buffet was very good with several vegan dishes & 2 simple salads.

Freshly cooked Indian breads are brought to your table.

The table waiting team are knowledgeable about the food & are very helpful.

Good value for the area - remember that Wan Chai is a high-rent district.

I wish them continued success!

kajaljewel
kajaljewel

Best Place for Veg food in Hong Kong

5 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2008

very good & tasty food, after change of ownership the concept of food & higine is also changed.. ours is first preference or you can say whenever we are in Hong Kong in evening it is the place we will be there without fail for all the days

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, good value

Dear Owner and Manager of Khana Khazana: