Small, family-owned vegan Vietnamese restaurant. Emphasis is on food made with heirloom red rice including pancakes, noodles, teas, desserts, and crackers. No added sugar or MSG. Also sells macrobiotic packaged food and books. Has wi-fi. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, Vietnamese, Macrobiotic, Take-out
157 Dien Bien Phu Street, F15, Q Bin Tanh
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
OPEN NOW

Mon-Sun 6:00am-9:00pm

First Review by InnesPark
Kimxula
Kimxula

One of my favourites in HCMC :-)

Posted on 08 / 21 / 2014

Khai Minh is a godsend for vegans and coeliacs in HCMC - just pure, wholesome, great food. Was so refreshing to be able to take my coeliac mom somewhere to eat where she didn't have to worry about gluten lurking everywhere as the menu, as far as I'm aware, doesn't have any mock meat dishes. I love that all the food is made with brown rice (even the banh xeo and banh beo)and it's the only place where I've had brown rice noodles, which really makes such a difference. The noodle soup with turmeric is also absolutely delicious and I'd highly recommend it :-)

It's not got the cosiest of atmospheres and the staff don't speak English, but the menu is in English and whatever you choose, it's guaranteed to be of excellent quality. Morever, the food here is cheap, and I mean CHEAP. They don't skimp on portion sizes and I think the most expensive thing on the menu is 40,000 VND.

I've taken family and friends here and they have all said it's probably the best veg place I've taken them to, in terms of price and quality of food :-)

Pros: Pure, wholesome, good quality food, Sooo cheap!
Cons: A bit out of the way (nr. Saigon Zoo)
Sejhmet
Sejhmet

Nice food!

Posted on 07 / 05 / 2014

So happy that I discovered this place. The food is so cheap and delicious! One of the things that caught my attention was the menu says:
"This menu is strictly vegan. This menu follows a macrobiotic diet. It only use natural ingredients. No sugar, no MSG, no additives whatsoer.
It is designed to bring the best nutritionalvalue to your body"

This words made me feel confident about the food I was eating. In vietnam, specially the Chay (vegetarian) restaurants use a lot of white sugar and MSG to mask the real flavor of the food, which is not very healthy at all...

Delicious food, the menu is in vietnamese and english both, but the waiter does not speak english.

They do sell some products as well... it would be interesting that the label of the products would be in english to know what it is...

Pros: Delicious food, NO MSG and sugar added, Cheap prices
Cons: They dont speak english (but engl menu)
EkaniLe
EkaniLe

nourishing Food and passionate owners

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2014

I've traveled 9 months in south east asia. I'm limited in what I can eat due to the" MSG," and GLUTEN used in most dishes and sauce. I love this restaurant because of the purity in their menu. The couple who runs this restaurant are passionate and caring. Very delicious meals. Plus you feel vital and happy that the meal is animal free.
I went to this place not expecting to make friends from France and Australia, we would meet up every other day to have lunch. What a great time that was.
They have the best brown rice noodles, banh xeo,soup, and tasty entrées.
This place made my stay in Vietnam extra special.

jdoyle221
jdoyle221

A True Healthy Restaurant

Posted on 04 / 30 / 2014

I come here often for many reasons. The food here is truly healthy for you and the owners are happy to tell you why. One of the few places in Saigon that I have found that uses brown rice. But the fact that it is healthy does not mean it doesn't taste good. Just the opposite, the food is fantastic and I just try anything on the menu and it is all good. The people that run the restaurant are so friendly and I often have them choose my food and they never disappoint. A couple times they will just bring out extra food for me to try, really nice and genuine people. After eating here I feel healthier, they make food the right way. Finally the price is very low especially for the incredible quality of food. This is certainly worth a visit while you are in Saigon

Pros: Healthy & Delicious Food, People who own the Restaurant, Price
georgieboy
georgieboy

A real cut above any vegan restaurant in Saigon

Posted on 04 / 27 / 2014

Quan Luc Khai Minh knows what hollistic means.

I came there for food, I left with a smile, a new philosophy and a new family.

Delicious.
Super healthy, food as a medicine.
No sugar/MSG/additives.
100% organic food.
Super friendly.
Family-run, homemade.
Cheap. (1-2$/meal, 0.5$ for tea kettle of cereal milk (worth a try)).

There's simply no other places like it that I can think of in Vietnam. Come and try the macrobiotic diet. We are what we eat !

Pros: Super friendly family, Organic food, natural ingredients, Super cheap
Cons: You'll be sad to leave :-), English is being improved, It does not look like a 3* restauant
JOHN125
JOHN125

Khai Minh 1 Update

Posted on 03 / 10 / 2014

Phone 0989678129 not 09396...
157 Dien Bien Pho - over Saigon River from District 1
Taxi cost about 60 - 100K Dong from Ben Than Market.
Meal 120K Dong with many courses and takeaway (for 1)
No English menu and some difficulty communicating but great help from Vietnamese customers (don't expect to see Westerner)
But they know "Happy Cow" and guessed where I had heard of them.
I left it up to them to bring whatever they thought
Cu Hu Dual (coconut plant in "hot pot") was highlight
Went well with Com Pham (plain red rice), but other customers had sushi with red rice etc.
With me the right food triggers a little prayer of thanksgiving with each mouthful - these two dishes had that effect.
Updated from previous review on Monday March 10, 2014

Pros: Food from , Non-Tourist experience, Interaction with other customers
Cons: Costs more to get there than meal, No Enlish menu
senseofvietnam
senseofvietnam

Surprise Lunch

Posted on 02 / 12 / 2014

After reading the review of fellow members, I went to try out this restaurant. Is further from the city center but not too far. by the time I went in, it was pass 2pm so not many people. I thought maybe is a mistake. I look at their simple menu and order the banh xeo, and banh beo. Although nobody it took a little time before my lunch came. Is 5 or 6 pieces of pancake like omelet not look like the normal vietnamese banh xeo. That is big and yellow , the one Khai Minh serve is small, soft and brownish. No side vegetable and sauce. but as I dig into it, wow so natural flavor. Not much or no oil, it is soft and delicately delicious. No wonder it take so long, as I think the cook really make it with love. I am so surprise of the healthy food that I order a banh beo to go. Absolutely good and must come back for other dishes.

Pros: healthy, inexpensive, free tea
Cons: further from city center
WasKreatives
WasKreatives

good food

Posted on 02 / 02 / 2014

We had been there twice and it was very tasty. They brought us food for free to try out. There are pictures on the wall and a small Vietnamese menue.
Tee is for free.
They use red rice which we didn't know before.

Pros: cheap, tasty, nice staff
Cons: small menue, no English menue
little.thu
little.thu

Special restaurant

Posted on 12 / 17 / 2013

Khai Minh is a gem in HCMC. So far there's no eatery for macrobiotic fan (no GMS, no sugar, no pes, less oil). This family is the pioneer. Food is simple, but they make it with heart, so it's delicious, healthy and balanced. Try their pancake (banh xeo), tiny pancake (banh khot or banh beo). The whole grain drink is also a must try. If you want to totally take out the oil in the meal, you can also request them in advance.

Pros: cheap, delicious, healthy
Cons: time-consuming because the food will, be prepared when you order., not so many choices
InnesPark
InnesPark
  • raw

HCMC's healthy macrobiotic option

Posted on 12 / 09 / 2013

I have been coming to Khai Minh for lunch and dinner for several weeks and everyday the 'Com Phan' or dishes of the day are different every time, tasty and healthy. Some type of heirloom red rice is at the basis of most dishes.
Amazing value for $ and friendly service. Some English is spoken and there are pictures on the walls you can order from. An English menu is being developed.
Expect a lot of vegetables you might not even have seen before if you are not Vietnamese. A real find and a cut above the other restaurants in HCMC in terms of the healthy macrobiotic nature of the cuisine.
Three different sizes of mini-pancakes! And plenty of dried snacks, rice and menu items to take away..
Whilst you are eating they will surprise you with various foods to try that you haven't ordered :)

Pros: All macrobiotic, Great value. High quality. V cheap., Friendly atmosphere
Cons: No English menu., On a busy road

Dear Owner and Manager of Khai Minh 1: