Kensington Natural Bakery...

Bakery and cafeteria style restaurant. Assortment of fresh baked goods made with dairy and eggs but also has vegan desserts. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Asian, Vietnamese, Bakery, Juice bar, Take-out
460 Bloor St W (near Bathurst TTC subway station)
Toronto, Ontario M5S1X9
416-534-1294

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by philjdomm
christineelena
christineelena

Large selection of subpar food.

2 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2014

I was really excited when I came in here, because they have a large, great selection of food, both desserts and otherwise. I browsed for a while, a bit overwhelmed by my options. I ended up ordering an empanada (the vegan pate) and a cookie (spelt oatmeal chocolate chip). Unfortunately, I was entirely underwhelmed with the quality. They both had pretty much zero flavor, and the empanada was very dry. The cookie was not sweet at all, which is totally fine if you don't have a huge sweet tooth, but don't bite into a cookie expecting for it to taste like a typical cookie. The redeeming quality is that it's very cheap, so if you're disappointed, it's not like you dropped $5-10 on these alternative foods.

heuschrecke
heuschrecke

Not recommendable

2 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2013

The place doesn't have any atmosphere, the staff was not very motivated and the pumpkin pie tasted of nothing. I would never go there again.

vtraveller
vtraveller

great wheat - gluten-free options

5 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2012

This place is devoted to allergy sensitive items and it seems that many customers come here just to find sweets & treats they can't get elsewhere. Everything is baked on premise and the owner/baker has been doing this for many years.
It was awesome to find some baked goods (scones, cookies, rolls) which were not overly sweet and also free of wheat and gluten. Good stuff!

Pros: gluten-free options, inexpensive

maulydaft
maulydaft

a landmark riot

3 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2012

I've been eating here since the mid 90's. The food is mediocre but cheap. You can come in and stay for a long while. They have bakery goods (some have honey) and suspicious "fresh juice" (it's taken from jugs in the fridge and often is SUPER SWEET) and one time I ordered a veggie dog and they served me a veggie burger. The hot food sits under hot lights all day. My favourite faux pas was (is?) a Banana Cupcake where the "icing" had like NO sugar!
STILL I EAT HERE once in a blue moon. It's cheap and quick and they have a good selection of gluten and white sugar free baked goods. They were the first doing this in Toronto. You can buy cakes and pies by slices or wholes. It's has quite the variety of things to munch on and despite its riotous downfalls I'm glad it's still around.

Pros: cheap, quick, location
Cons: hot lamped food, croissants have butter - no!!!, some stuff has honey
Ken4057
Ken4057

Mecca for healthy baked goods

4 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2010

The owner of KNB&C has an amazing story. He was a refugee from Vietnam who almost died, he struggled through further hardship once he got to Canada, and now he along with his family run this successful bakery.

You don't see many customers in here, and might think the place would go under. You would be wrong. KNB&C have contracts with hospitals and prepare massive amounts of healthy baked goods including vegan, gluten-free and sugar-free offerings.

I come here to buy freshly made spelt pie shells for my famous vegan spinach & faux chicken quiche. I also get the vegan danish, yum, and the pecan maple cookies, yum.

I've only tried the entrees once, and it wasn't so memorable. They don't look very appetizing (as another reviewer pointed out), but one of these days I will try again.

Pros: cheap, healthy, family owned
Cons: dirty
khb
khb

Excellent place for a cheap meal

4 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2008

They have about 14 vegetarian dishes on hand, and all or almost all of them are vegan. I had the "special" - portions of any three dishes, plus a bowl of soup, for $6 including tax. It is hard to find a cheaper meal in Toronto. It is true that the portions are not large, but if you want more food, it looks like you can get individual portions of any dish for $1.75 for 100g. Or pay another $6 to have the special all over again, and you'll still be doing pretty well.

It's not without its drawbacks, though. The food is kept refrigerated and is microwaved for you upon request - and mine ended up not being heated all the way through. And the dishes seem to be a little heavy on the cheap ingredients: Two of my dishes were supposed to contain "sosoya" (a sort of TVP-like fake meat), but I think there was only about one piece of sosoya between them. But even without the sosoya, the food tasted very good - it was all seasoned and cooked just right.

For dessert, we decided to try some of the pastries. A "blueberry square" (a tart-like thing) seemed to be mostly cornstarch, with very little blueberry at all. The apple square was much better.

Pros: inexpensive, tasty food, vegan desserts
Cons: microwaved, cheap ingredients
philjdomm
philjdomm

Small Portion

3 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2008

But it's healther to east smaller portion. However, no freedom to doggy bag for later meal.

• maulydaft maulydaft

In terms of the "hot food" - the portions are not that small. You get three or four different items and a soup - all for $5! So you can't complain about the portions :)

Dear Owner and Manager of Kensington Natural Bakery and Cafe: