Vegan and gluten-free bakery opened in December 2012 by the owner and conscious chef & baker of Kindfood (now Lettuce Love Cafe). Makes cakes, brownies, cookies, other vegan baked treats that's organic, soy-free, nut-free, and nutritional dense. Awarded 1st prize and best-in-show at the Toronto Vegan Bake-Off sponsored by the Toronto Vegetarian Association. Also offers Balsac's coffee, coconut milk latte, and other beverages. more-less
401 Brant St (downtown)
Burlington, Ontario L7R 2E9
905-333-1400

Open Tue-Fri 10am-7pm, Sat 9am-7pm, Sun 11am-5pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by stephlovesbowen
Lynzie13
Lynzie13

Love this bakeshop so much!

5 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2013

It's not always easy to find vegan AND gluten-free baked goods that are, well, good! Often it's one or the other but not both. Kelly's has figured it out! Their cupcakes are absolutely to die for, you'll find yourself thinkging "these are vegan and gluten-free?? no way!" The "Skinny Cookies" are my favourite, they are so delicious and satisfying and happily also guilt-free since they have no flour or refined sugar. It's so awesome that a place like this exists because it means veganism (and gluten-free diets)never mean deprivation, we CAN have it all. Delicious sweets that are free of unhealthy and cruel animal ingredients! I'll be ordering all of my birthday cakes from Kelly's from now on. The staff are all very friendly too. Just go, you'll be amazed!
Updated from previous review on Saturday August 17, 2013

Pros: vegan, gluten-free, delicious
  • PeterShaw PeterShaw

Excellent dessert place. We had the vanilla and chocolate combo soft serve ice cream (not). It was delicious. Thanks very much Kelly as you hired great staff members.

CanadianConnoisseur
CanadianConnoisseur

Black Magic, Lemon, Red Velvet. World Peace.

5 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2013

Have some non-vegan skeptics? Hit them with a bite of the Mile-High brownie and they'll be converted. The brownie is moist, but the real kicker is the Ganache drizzled on top.

I'm a sucker for anything with their decadent ganache, so naturally I love their black magic cupcake - rich chocolate cake filled with ganache.

But they're not all about rich, chocolately decadence. Some of their cupcakes that rival the Black Magic & Mile High brownie are most definitely the Lemon cupcake & Red Velvet.

The Lemon is perfect - so light, flavorful but not overpowering, and has, in my opinion, the best icing on top (also slightly lemon). Just a perfect, light, treat. The Red Velvet is unbelievable - and the most flavorful cake base for sure. I'd say avoid the Vanilla and Cookies and Cream - they don't stand up to the others.

And their cookies - I wasn't blown away by their chocolate cookie, but others have sworn by it. For me - it's all about their World Peace Cookie. I could eat a dozen in one go. They're the perfect oat cookie. Even if you're not a fan of oats, I guarantee you will love this one. Kelly has posted the recipe on her blog which I encourage everyone to try for themselves - it really is one of the best oatmeal cookie recipes out there :)

ErinJanus
ErinJanus

The Moral and Nutritional Evolution of Baked Goods

5 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2013

Healthiest cupcakes, brownies and cookies you are going to find in Burlington. And very yummy. And organic. And soy-free. And gluten-free. (And cruelty-free!) Damn!

I've heard a few complaints that the cupcakes were dry or not very good... well, I bought two cupcakes the other day and they were moist and tasted incredible.

To be honest, the first time I tried the mile-high brownie at Kelly's, it wasn't that great. But the second, and third, and (yes, fourth) time I had it? FANTASTIC. Perhaps the person who baked your dry cupcake was new, or in a slump... or had a break up. Or had to pee and left the oven on too long. Who knows.

If you thought the cupcakes were dry the first time you tried them, I say give it another chance. Or, you know... just go back to the animal/chemical-based frankencakes with preservatives and such.

Kelly's Bake Shoppe is part of the moral and nutritional evolution of baked goods.
Updated from previous review on Friday April 05, 2013

Pros: Vegan, Organic, Soy-free
Cons: Corn used in some of their products

DangerGirl
DangerGirl

Amazing!!

4 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2013

Love this place! Went in for the first time to get a cupcake for my daughters first birthday and was blown away by the lovely atmosphere and friendly service. I ended up getting more cupcakes then I intended and wasn't disappointed! My daughter loved her vanilla bean birthday cupcake :)

Pros: Vegan, Fresh, Delicious!!
stephlovesbowen
stephlovesbowen

Excellent

5 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2013

We are so fortunate to have a vegan, gluten free Bakery right here in our neighbourhood. We knew that the Bakery would be awesome because the original cafe called Kind Food has been established for sometime and is also a treasure. The baked goods are incredible. The bakery is gorgeous!

• Chia Chia

Wow, those cake and cookie photos look amazing. I'd like to go there.

Dear Owner and Manager of Kelly's Bake Shoppe:

Thank you for being a Premium FRIEND supporter.

There's another way to promote your business on HappyCow:

Advertise your large, custom banner on the Burlington page, or any other regional page.

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/08/05