Kechara Oasis - Petaling Jaya

New Age Vegetarian Cuisine, Kechara Oasis provides modern vegetarian cuisine in a fine dining atmosphere. Offers a la carte menu. Vegans to specify. Caters banquets and functions. Dim sum is offered at their Kuala Lumpur restaurant but not at this location. Kitchen breaks from 3-6pm. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Chinese, Malaysian, Southeast Asian, Take-out, Delivery
Unit 19-LG1, Level B1, Block D Jaya One (72A Jalan University)
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia 46200
6-03-79681818

Mon-Sun 11:30am-10:00pm

First Review by suac
AndyT
AndyT

Vegetarian restaurant,could be more vegan friendly

3 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2014

I have been to Kechara Oasis now twice, and I find it ok, but not exceptionally special (which I consider a shame, as I really want to like it given the activities they do for humans and nonhumans).

The first time I was there, I had the set lunch, and frankly, I was not convinced. It was chicken/vegetable/rice, the price was fine at RM 8,90 including a drink (that is hawker stall price level), but unfortunately the food was a little bland and comparable to many other vegetarian mixed rice dishes that you can get at many hawker stalls (many of which taste better).

The second time I was there, I went for the a la carte options, and was disappointed by the few vegan options. I had selected some options, only to hear from the waiter that they were not vegan. The signature dishes (e.g. momos as starters - similar to jiaozii - unfortunately they contain cheese .... the mixed vegetable curry - unfortunately this contains dairy and some more). I had the vegetarian spring rolls which were very nice and the Tom Yam soup which was also good.

So my suggestion to the restaurant would be to consider mentioning specifically in the menu which dishes are vegan, and to consider veganizing some. Really ... vegetable curry with dairy ... many omnivorous Thai places do offer vegetarian green curry with only coconut milk inside.

If I compare this restaurant with Organic Express, which is not too far away, my personal opinion is that Organic Express provides a better experience for the money and time spent (sometimes you have to queue up there).

Updated from previous review on Friday March 21, 2014

Pros: Many vegetarian options, Price ok
Cons: Vegan dishes not marked, More dishes could be veganized
sattvalover
sattvalover

Nice place

3 Posted on 04 / 25 / 2013

The other day when I walked in for my 1st year anniversary to this restaurant, to my utter horror I found this place closed for renovation, OUCH.

However, this place offers good service. And nice atmosphere. I would recommend this place to others. Try their green curry spaghetti fusion if you like Thai.

Pros: Good atmosphere and service, Above average food.

Cons: Pricey; It is time they became creative with the menu with more varieties!!!!

BrianCsl
BrianCsl

Went on 25th Nov 2012

4 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2012

Went twice over that weekend. Nice, clean and cosy resturant. (base Singaporean standard).
Family friendly restoran. The staff are well manner and friendly.
Food is excellent and alot of varies. ordered their Chef recommendation, it was good. The Fried Mee Hoon is nice, not oily and is tasty.

For Singaporean, remember the location, is at "second Flr" above the main road. Park multi-storey carpark above if is a bad weather. (a 20 cents different, $2.20. Open Air carpark at $2).

Cons, careful...spotted mosquito. :)

freeprincebandar
freeprincebandar

Nice atmosphere

3 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2012

Chinese restaurant with surprising Tibetan options--i say surprising b/c not sure why they would go out of their way to include them. Food is fair. Staff speaks good English and can advise on vegan options. Can get here via #12 bus

suac
suac

my 2 cents

2 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2012

After seeing some pics on the net, I guess my expectations were high. When we got there, we were disappointed at the location - within a parking lot and accessed through the parking lot. Not my idea of a fine restaurant. I expected a mmuch bigger place but not so. As a vegetarian, I found this place to be nothing more than a glorified veg. restaurant that was way overpriced. The green curry noodle was ok but noodles too soft. The fried rice was rather bland. The other dishes were nothing special except the presentation was better than other basic veg. restaurants. Told them we didn't want the peanuts as we sat down but they charged us for it anyways. Overall, unsatisfactory for our taste.

Cons: location, pricey

Dear Owner and Manager of Kechara Oasis - Petaling Jaya: