Serves meat, veg options available. Kaxapa is a Venezuelan corn cake or tortilla made with fresh corn, instead of masa. It is served with a filling of your choice like a taco. Also offers arepa and patacones. Owners knows what vegan means. Try the Kaxapa la vegana, veggie arepa, and the patacones with grilled veggies. Has wi-fi. Easily missed so look at every building while walking between 10th and 15th on Constituyentes. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Venezuelan, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by erised
Subi
Subi

Healthy Options

4 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2014

When I arrived with my family of 4, there were no tables available, but the friendly and helpful waitress managed to accommodate us. Having lived in Venezuela for several years, I can attest that the food and drinks are authentic. The cachapas were good, though a bit salty, and my custom-made empanada was delicious. However, the best part of the meal may have been the fresh juices which are hard to find outside Venezuela! Overall, a good option if you are looking for healthier vegan food and a change from resort buffets.

Pros: friendly staff
Cons: small space
LynnGilmartin
LynnGilmartin

Hole in the Wall Awesomeness

4 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2014

Owned by a Venezuelan family, this local favourite has loads of veggie and vegan options. They are big on supporting local farmers, using only local ingredients. After receiving huge recommendations, I thought “WTF?” when I saw the place, but the experience and the food is amazing. The family who owns it are the ones who serve you and they shower you with welcoming love. They play reggae tunes and even provide free samples of their unique Venezuelan juices as soon as you arrive. It’s a must-try.

Pros: Cheap, Delicious, Friendly

BriggitteJ
BriggitteJ

Lovely Staff, Amazing Food

4 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2013

I have to admit I haven't had much Venezuelan food in my life so I wasn't sure what to expect but having heard so many wonderful things we decided to venture off the beaten path and give it a try. The owner was lovely, and upon hearing we had just been married in Xcaret gave us free dessert with our meal. My husband who is an omnivore and me a vegan both throughly enjoyed our meals. We left stuffed without having to spend an arm and a leg on amazing food. I also highly recommend their fresh juice!

Pros: Great Food, Unique, Friendly Staff
Cons: not much indoor seating
MaiaS
MaiaS
  • non-vegetarian

Amazing food and great service

4 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2012

This family owned Venezuelan restaurant is a welcome addition to the Playa dining scene. My BF is gluten free, but even if we had no dietary restrictions this place would be in our top five in Playa del Carmen. The food is fresh, lovingly prepared and so tasty. We only regret not finding it sooner. Lots of vegetarian options and everything is gluten free. We had an amazing appetizer of corn pancakes with chicken and beef, and for entree we each had an empanada. I've never in my life had such a tasty, sweet and savory empanada. We will be back, many times.

Pros: Great value, Friendly staff, Amazing food
Cons: Limited seating
Julezy
Julezy

The best vegan food in Playa del carmen

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2012

A great family owned and run restaurant. The customer service is outstanding, they welcome you like you are a family member!
We had the Kaxapa vegana, Veggie arepa, and a salad. All were very fresh, tasty, and wholesome. The arepa said it had cheese in it so we asked for 'sin queso' and 'sin lácteos'
Could do with some more vegan options although they were more than happy to make adjustments to suit us.
Excellent value and atmosphere!

Pros: Excellent value, Fresh and wholesome, Excellent customer service
Cons: Could do with more vegan options
erised
erised

Simple Lunch

4 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2012

The food here is delicious and completely acceptable for vegans! They have tofu and vegetables for most of the dishes and it is very cheap. Probably one of the few places in Playa that recognizes the definition of vegan. I would go here for lunch as it is close to the beach and has more of a casual setting, but the food is so great so I would still come for dinner. Try the traditional Venezuelan drink, made with cane sugar (so it isn't processed with bone char like refined sugar). Everything is delicious and the service is extremely friendly!

Pros: Delicious, Cheap, Friendly

Dear Owner and Manager of Kaxapa Factory: