CLOSED: Katta

Indian vegetarian restaurant offering many vegan dishes, each at around $8+. Operates a booth at Saturday Adelaide Hills Farmers Market in Mt. Barker 9-1pm, and Sunday Adelaide Show Grounds Farmers Market 9-1pm. FEB 2014 REPORTED SHUT DOWN. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian

First Review by gypsynat
megescc
megescc

The best Indian food we've ever had!!!

5 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2013

We went here on recommendation from friends, and it was wonderful! The owner/chef/waiter greeted us with a beautiful smile and seated us. The cafe is clean & tidy with the kitchen on full display. The most friendly service I've ever had, and the food is incredible! So fresh, healthy, and delicious. Large portion sizes! I would recommend to all Vegetarians, vegans, and meat eater. This is a taste sensation. No menus here either, just whatever amazing food the chef is cooking on the night. The best!

Pros: Incredible service, Fresh healthy food, Excellent value
HarshBhatt
HarshBhatt

Nice place.

3 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2013

Mr.Kale and myself come from the same town in India. I appreciate his efforts and like the food. India has so much to offer that no restaurant in the world can offer all delicacies and cuisines of India. But Katta does come pretty close. Would recommend to all.

AdelaideVeggieChick
AdelaideVeggieChick

Amazing & authentic food

5 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2013

Katta is a hidden gem. Authentic & tasty Indian food. Haven't had food this good outside of India. Fresh, beautiful flavours and very friendly host. Highly recommended. Very reasonably priced.

amaikaorii
amaikaorii

Delicious!

4 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2013

My family and I are new recruits to Adelaide from NZ and on one of those super hot days, the last thing we wanted to do was cook dinner. As new vegans we were a little despairing of what we might be able to have delivered and then thanks to the Happy Cow, we found Katta!

The food was exceptional! Really delicious and delivered in good time by a very friendly staff member. At first we thought the portions seemed small, but we were stuffed afterwards. Will definitely be going back there and as the restaurant is not far from us, next time we'll be eating in. :)

Pros: yummy, great vegan selection, fast and friendly delivery
Kiki17
Kiki17

10 / 10! Superb food

5 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2013

My first experience at Katta was amazing. Firstly, let's be frank here - the cafe doesn't offer much in the way of ambience. It's a very basic cafe, it almost feels like you are eating at someone's home (which kind of adds to the charm). However, once you taste that first mouthful you realise this place is something special. The food is unlike any other Indian restaurant I have eaten at. The tastes were 10/10, I can't even find a fitting word to show how good it was! It is superbly fresh (don't let the other poster put you off with the comments that it all comes out of containers - Indian food takes time to prepare, if anyone believes it is made from scratch when the chef gets an order - wake up!) I have been to several Indian restaurants where the food was most definitely NOT fresh and it is pretty easy to tell the difference. You actually feel like you've done your body a favour with eating this food, it feels very healthy!

Anand, the chef/waiter/owner is the most delightful man. He cooks the food with love, and I believe that is why it tastes so good! He explained the 'no menu' system to us when we came in ($24 per person all included, with drinks etc) and he told us what we would be eating (the food is always changing, so next time will be different). He also said that we should eat until we are full - he would bring more until we had had enough!

If you love Indian food, you will love Katta :)

Pros: Amazing food!!!, Superb service!, Something different!

BenJ88
BenJ88

• non-vegetarian

A Truly Traditional Indian Dining Experience!

5 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2013

If you think you've tried 'real' Indian food in Adelaide but haven't yet eaten at Anand's restaurant 'Katta'... you are missing out on the real deal!

I recently had lunch with a friend at Katta (important to note that neither of us are vegetarian)and admittedly both of us were a little unsure about what to expect on the menu. Anand is very passionate about the dishes he prepares and we now understand why!

Each dish was very different from the next (no butter chicken here folks) but all were hearty and full of flavour. We enjoyed a brief history of each dish and the region of India it originated from, which added to our dining experience.

The servings were generous and despite the fact we were both stuffed, Anand was still trying to serve us more!

The food and service received by restaurant owner Anand is sensational, try it... You'll love it!

Pros: Excellent food, Fantastic service , Affordable
Grantley77
Grantley77

• non-vegetarian

Do not have to be a vegetarian to enjoy this gem

5 Posted on 01 / 22 / 2013

After recently meeting the owner and chef, Anand, a colleague and I decided to check out his restaurant. As a non-vegetarian I was not sure what to expect but knowing how passionate Anand is about food I was excited to try something new and different, and he did not disappoint! Do not expect your average westernised, curry driven Indian food, but experience the amazing flavours of authentic Indian cuisine. In addition to the excellent food and service, Anand was happy to explain and give background to every dish. Once finished I was full but not bloated and uncomfortable as I normally feel after Indian food. A unique experience which I will be recommending and definitely returning for more...Thank you Anand!

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff, Great Value
ailuj16
ailuj16

Simply Perfect!

5 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2013

My friends and I have a curry night every week. We visit a different Indian restaurant each time and this week we visited Katta. After 6 months of Indian dining we feel we have found the best Indian in Adelaide! The atmosphere was lovely and homely. Our host was obviously incredibly passionate about good food and it was indeed very, very good food! Large portions of amazingly yummy food that while very filling was also refreshingly light. The dessert was mouth-watering! No menus here, just sit down and prepare to be amazed and inspired. A truly unique and wonderful dining experience! I will be coming back and bringing all my friends too!

Pros: Excellent food, Great value, Inspiring Staff
ClaireBirbeck
ClaireBirbeck

FANTASTIC!!

5 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2013

My vegetarian friend and I went here and we loved it! The food was just superb and we loved the passion and pride that the owner displayed.
Don't be fooled by the casual set up. The food is worth every dollar and every minute that you wait for it.
I would recommend booking in first so that the owner knows you are coming etc. It is a very small operation but no slack on the quality of the food. Get the $24 banquet.

Pros: Friendly, Good value, Delicious
Cons: Ambiance
castadrift
castadrift

Tasty but overpriced

3 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2012

Food was delicious but unreasonably expensive, and the owner did not openly explain our options at all since it turned out there was no menu. They seated us (very friendly), asked if we were vegans then left. We waited for the menus for a while, there was no explanation of how the restaurant worked until we finally asked what was happening. Turned out he just assumed we were there for the fixed meal at $24 per head! There was no menu but he said dishes are all around $8 and we could look in the fridge. They had already started making the mango lassis and we felt bad so we agreed to have them. $4 for half a standard glass. He then suggested we have an eggplant & lentil curry ($8) and tamarind rice ($8). Food was delicious but rice was cold for some reason (maybe that's how they are served traditionally?). Serving sizes were tiny. Neither my boyfriend nor I are big eaters, but we ate the plates clean and were still pretty hungry. At that point we had already exceeded the budget at $24 so decided not to order more, even though they pressured us to try the dessert. The dishes were all pre-cooked and stored in the fridge in small plastic containers, and heated up when ordered. Owner explained after we had finished eating that dishes were $5 for takeaway, extra charge was for serving and warming up. Find it difficult to believe their markups considering their running costs cannot be that high given the location, casual set up, and not even having to cook to order. The rice wasn't even heated up at all, and I mean, it was rice with some spices and peanuts! How can it be the same price as a curry? Despite the tasty food, left very dissatisfied and disappointed for the amount we paid, but mostly annoyed by the lack of communication about our options. Do not agree this restaurant should be in the inexpensive category.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff
Cons: Poor value, No menu, Small portions
Aliej
Aliej

Wonderful meal

5 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2012

A delighful experience to have sound Indian cuisine cooked freshly by the most welcoming and friendly restaurant owner, Mr Kale. The food was varied and very tasty. Different dishes are cooked each day. Vegan's are well catered for and if you telephone in advance, vegan puddings can be prepared. Highly reccomended.

sunnyboy
sunnyboy

Yum, yum and double yum

5 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2012

Dining at Katta is a unique, delicious and personalised experience.

The food is freshly prepared by a passionate, friendly chef who clearly loves what he does.

The flavours are really delicate and vegan food was easily accommodated.

Its like a chef hosted meal. With not a menu in site.

Katta is an awesome one of a kind indian restuarant not to be missed. Can't wait to go back.

Earthling08
Earthling08

Indian Vegetarian at its best!

5 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2012

We decided to try this restaurant after reading the reviews and it has exceeded our already high expectations. The chef who is also the owner and the waiter produces good flavour without meat. The food was very light and healthy and each dish had a unique flavour and texture. The interior of the restaurant is sparse yet clean and cosy with an open and immaculately presented kitchen. The chef shared his knowledge and welcomed us back to teach us how to cook his dishes! Great value for money. Highly recommended!
We will definitely return to experience these beautiful flavours soon!

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
wanderer_au
wanderer_au

wonderful eating experience

5 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2012

Delicious healthy fresh food, unique and very personal way to dine. Very simple, small, basic cafe but the chef makes it a very personal experience by cooking several dishes that he recommends for you, and explaining the dishes as he does so-it's like being a guest in someone's home and at an amazing price. Quite different to the usual Indian food in Australia

Pros: excellent food, wonderful chef, amazing value
fearless
fearless

Delicious, unique and friendly

5 Posted on 05 / 15 / 2012

It was a great experience to eat at Katta last night. The chef (who was also doubling as waiter!) is one of the kindest people I have ever met. All of the food was made from scratch and the dishes were delicious. The flavours were quite different than the regular vegetarian dishes you get from non-vegetarian Indian restaurants. It was a unique experience for the taste buds and one that both of us thoroughly enjoyed. Definitely try it out if you get an opportunity!

Pros: Beautiful food, Unique Indian food, Friendly
Britt87
Britt87

Amazing food!

5 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2012

I found this cosy little place through recommendations on happy cow and decided to go and try it.

I agree with Both of the previous reviews, this place is incredible. The food is fresh and delicate and you'll find many dishes that aren't commonly served in Indian restaurants in Adelaide.

The owner is a lovely man who seems to genuinely want to share his knowledge and experience with all his customers. It's best to just sit back and let him put together amazing combinations of food for you to enjoy.

Veg and vegan friendly.

Pros: Fresh, delightful food, Excellent value , Friendly staff
Quamox
Quamox

Best Indian food I've ever had

5 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2012

The food here was unlike any other Indian food that I've eaten. The chef used ingredients and spices that I've never had before. You won't find the usual stodgy over-spiced Indian dishes here but rather you'll find exciting dishes with subtle flavours and unique textures.

The restaurant might not look like much from outside but check it out and do yourself a favour and listen to the chef's recommendations.

Pros: Inexpensive, Unique food, Great service
gypsynat
gypsynat

Best Indian food you'll ever eat

5 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2011

The food is mind blowing! It's not the usual heavy Indian food one might think of. It tastes home cooked, healthy and like the spices have been picked and grounded 2 minutes before cooking. The flavours are like I've never tasted before, and all these amazing textures run around in your mouth. Seriously, my friend and I had a food orgasm!
The chef is so friendly and willing to make you anything. He loves what he does and this is really reflected in the food and service.
Be prepared to wait a little longer than you might expect in another restaurant but it's worth the wait because the chef is lovingly preparing the best vegan Indian meal you'll ever eat!

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly staff, Inexpensive

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Katta: