A vegan restaurant that serves 3 soups and 1 main dish each day. With a Finnish student card you get an inexpensive meal consisting of salad, soup, bread, water, coffee or tea, dessert. For one not owning a Finnish student card, the food will cost around 6-8 euro. Free refill on soup. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Finnish, European

First Review by ffflame
Merryaurora
Merryaurora

Every students favorite

4 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2013

I love Katriina and used to visit the place almost every day when I studied for my high school's final exams at the university's library.

The place has an interesting and cozy decor, which makes you feel comfortable. The system is simple and quick, you get your food immediately after payment. Soup includes a side-saland that usually was sprouts, which is a huge plus, in my opinion! There were normally at least 3 different sorts of soups, all amazing (e.g. beetroot-coconut, lentil-curry, Mexican beans...). You could top your soup with peanuts and have the delicious, legendary fresh buns!

To finish the meal, have a coffee/tea or a cupful of some dessert they have to offer.

Pros: Delicious soups, Many absolutely amazing option, Fresh, self-made bread!!
Cons: Busy during lunch hours, Only open during the lunch, Awkwardly small tables
VegTim
VegTim

Not fully vegan, busy student canteen

2 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2012

I agree, it is rather a canteen than a restaurant. Busy and a bit chaotic during lunch hours, when I happened to go there too. Service is ok, not friendly though.
And in my opinion you should not call a restaurant vegan if you serve dairy product. I see it as dishonest. Non vegan items are not marked, only Finnish customer recognize them.
Going there was a bit unpleasant experience for me so I chose rather going to some omnivore but vegan friendly places after the first time.

Pros: cheap, convenient location
Cons: only casual food, no gourmet, dishonest, they are not full vegan, busy and chaotic
SimonaSignorelli
SimonaSignorelli

nice and cheap self-service veggie restaurant

4 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2011

a meal here can be very cheap ( compared with finland prices!): 6 euro for 3 soups, salad, tea or coffee, dessert, bread; 7 euro for the same menu but a hot veg plate instead of the soups, 9 euro for both soups and hot plae ( and with student card even cheaper ) I tried pepper, tomato and olive soups and a beet main course, as dessert there was apple soup. everything was very tasted and everything vegan except butter to spread and milk to drink. yhere is also a small children game corner.

Pros: good, cheap, good choice
ffflame
ffflame

Lunch canteen filled with students

3 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2011

Small, canteen-like lunch restaurant in the city center. Discount with a valid national student card, (I guess with ISIC also). Open only for lunch Mon-Fri. Several choices for soups and main dishes. I tried the curry-coconut soup, which was tasty, although a bit too salty. My companion ate main dish with cabbage and seitan, and he told me it tasted like something his Granny cooked (a positive remark).

Pros: moderate prices, student discount
Cons: open only for lunch, not so cozy decor

Dear Owner and Manager of Katriina: