CLOSED: Kate's Cafe

Opened in August 2012, an allergy-friendly vegan restaurant that offers breakfast and lunch, Blue Bottle brand coffee. Gluten-free, nut-free, dairy-free, and soy-free available. SHUT DOWN IN SEPT 2013, CONFIRMED. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, American
27 Broadway Ave
Mystic, Connecticut 06355
860-245-5832

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Deeply Rooted
veganjess86
veganjess86

disappointing

Posted on 06 / 21 / 2013

I found this place overpriced and disappointing, though service was great. The raw ravioli was delicious but a really small portion, however we found a hair in it. The tacos said they had daiya but didn't, and the tortilla was weird being somewhere between overlooked and raw. Their coffee was good!

Pros: coffee, service
Cons: price, quality
TzamFam
TzamFam

Could be better

Posted on 04 / 18 / 2013

I'm guessing that when my 2 children and I went to Kate's Cafe, it was the lunch rush. We stood around for 15 minutes to wait for an empty table. The waitress was VERY friendly. We chatted for a bit while waiting.

I found the menu NOT to be very kid friendly. I ordered a daily special - Eggplant, my children ordered a FBLT and a portabella burger. The portabella burger didn't go over well - the focaccia bread was too big for my daughter's mouth. The food was good and it was filling. We also shared a piece of apple raspberry cake - which was very good.

We did find a hair in the FBLT and the portabella burger. I found a hair in the to go box.

We will still go back & try breakfast :)

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff, Great atmosphere
Cons: Very limited seating area, Meals NOT kid friendly
RickWalker
RickWalker

Great to have this Cafe here

Posted on 12 / 27 / 2012

We stumbled on it with an offer in the local Newspaper, TheDay, Bought some half price coupons. Used them up and bought more. My, this place is great and they even cater to you personally. I love it and can't wait to get back there.

Pros: Excellent food, Excellent preparations, Summer under the umbrellas
Cons: Small place

mark m braunstein
mark m braunstein

SE CT's 1st all veg eatery in 30 years

Posted on 12 / 23 / 2012

The words VEGAN and VEGETARIAN are blazoned across its signage (nice!), which risks alienating carnivore customers, but Kate says she wishes to "tell it like it is." Though a small cafe open only until 4pm (kitchen closes 3:30, after which some prepared foods are available for take-out), the menu still offers much variety, especially for breakfast from 7 to 11am. The breakfast menu is more diverse than that for lunch, which is mostly salads and sandwiches and soup. I ate here once for lunch (good) and once for breakfast (even better), both times soon after the cafe's debut in early August 2012. (As of December 2012, Saturday dinners are planned, for which reservations are required.) The grains and breads are whole grain, and whole food tempeh largely displaces junk food tofu, hurray!

Seating is cramped, six comfortably, eight squeezed, so don't plan to engage in meaningful discourse or intimate conversation here with your meal mate. When the weather and season smile upon us, you can sit outside at two shaded tables and upon several lounge chairs, though only steps from busy street traffic. Due to its cramped seating indoors and bustling traffic outdoors, Kate's clientele likely will be mostly take-out, for which ample parking is provided next door in the pharmacy lot. To drive here you fortunately can bypass the traffic congestion of downtown Mystic by taking Exit 90 for the Seaport and Aquarium. While I am not likely to make a special trip just to dine here and thereby add to Mystic's traffic congestion, I do look forward to eating here the next time I am in Mystic before 3:30pm. Let's hope local Mystic folks keep this cafe humming with business, so that the next time we out-of-towner vegheads are in Mystic we can patronize Ms Kate's Cafe

Pros: all vegetarian, nearly all vegan, its breakfast menu
Cons: cramped, breakfast menu only to 11am, Mystic traffic congestion
Lindsay13Rose
Lindsay13Rose

Amazing Veg Food

Posted on 11 / 08 / 2012

My boyfriend and I have made our Kate's lunch visit a weekly vigil. As vegans with few local restaurant options, we have taken to the delicious food, tight-knit atmosphere and sweet waitstaff at Kate's. Lindsey and Steph are great waitresses! Food is definitely reasonably priced for its high quality and, so importantly, you never have to ask, "Is this vegan?" Always a relief for those of us trying to stick to a strict plant-based diet. I ty to fight it, but usually end up getting dessert, too :) Delicious muffins and chocolate cake. Loved the peppermint chocolate berry muffin! The daily specials make the experience new each time and we always look forward to our next meal at Kate's. They also have delicious Blue Bottle (fair trade and organic) coffee. My dad has joined us at Kate's and loved it, and my mom talks about visiting to join us for a Kate's lunch - neither of them are vegetarian. Definitely a great place to eat healthy, great-tasting food! Try the open face taco sandwich!

Pros: daily specials, all vegan, raw options
pisceschic
pisceschic

Delicious vegan food

Posted on 10 / 09 / 2012

I went for lunch with another person and we sat outside. I had the curried chickpea salad which came with a side of broccoli with almonds. My friend got the portabello burger with roasted root veggies. They were both great. The staff was nice, there are a lot of delicious-sounding options, it's in cute downtown Mystic, there's outside seating and parking, and the prices are appropriate.

Pros: Mostly vegan, Affordable, Outside eating
Deeply Rooted
Deeply Rooted

Kate's Cafe

Posted on 08 / 16 / 2012

I was visiting my grandparents over the weekend and was very happy to discover this new vegan cafe in downtown Mystic. I ate lunch their twice and both times everything was delicious. There's a grab-and-go case for sandwiches and drinks, or you can sit down and order breakfast or lunch (not open for dinner). The have simple, but good food and great coffee. I had the BBQ tempeh wrap and curried chickpea wrap and my boyfriend had the open-faced taco. We wanted to try the waffle panini, but didn't indulge... Next time!

Pros: Nut and soy-free options, Good location, All organic
Cons: Small sitting area

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Kate's Cafe: