Karyn's Fresh Corner

Menu is all vegan except for honey (this location only, others are all vegan). Slogan is "conscious comfort food." This is also the location of Karyn's Raw Vegan Gourmet Restaurant that's open 11am-3pm and 5:30-10pm, Sunday brunch 11:30am-3:30pm. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Raw, Take-out

carolv
carolv

LOVE IT!

Posted on 10 / 25 / 2014

I have only been to Karyn's 3 times over the past 6 years but each time has been wonderful! The selection of raw foods, supplements and other products is great. The first time I went I ate from the salad bar which was delicious. The other 2 times I splurged and ate at the adjoining restaurant. OMG! FABULOUS food. I went with family each time and we tasted or shared each others food. I wish I could live next door so I could go and eat there everyday.

Pros: Fabulous Food, Great variety of items in the store, Small parking lot available
Erejimbo
Erejimbo

great vegan food!

Posted on 04 / 27 / 2014

Love Karyn's. Our favorite location is Karyn's on Green near Greek town in Chicago!

panyvinito
panyvinito

Empanadas & Tamales were amazing

Posted on 11 / 22 / 2013

OMG!! It had been years since I had an empanada or tamale that was vegan and RAW! Food was amazing, I hate Chicago and had to go there for work (blah!!!) but going to Karyn's made it all worth it.
Best empanada and tamale in the country for sure!!!

SarahBaker
SarahBaker

Just What We Wanted

Posted on 11 / 17 / 2013

Me and my boyfriend have been to Karyn's a handful of times. We love it.
This time we ate at the restaurant. We split an appetizer and two entrees. The appetizer was raw crackers and four different kinds of raw cheeses. The entrees were the Wild Rice Medley and the Salmon Roll. I liked the Salmon Roll the best. It was like a sushi roll and I thought the flavors went well together. The rice dish was a little on the small side.
Any qualms I have I am fully ok with. Yeah, it costs more money. They have honey. Some portions are small. But the good definitely outweighs all that.
Lots of samples on the deli side!
I tried raw pizza, raw cheddar, raw pad thai AND raw soft serve! Strawberry and vanilla. Super yummy.
They have a lot of healthy stuff. A raw salad bar, too.
And kombucha.

If you are into raw food you should definitely go. Or are looking for a way to try all kinds of healthy food.

There's juice and smoothies.

Wow.

Pros: Healthy, Raw, Samples
Cons: Honey
lucerne07
lucerne07

Delicious & fresh raw fare!

Posted on 11 / 25 / 2012

When we arrived at Karyn's Fresh Corner & Raw Cafe, which has recently re-opened in the Lincoln Park area after a fire, we discovered that in addition to having a small gourmet restaurant, they also have a little specialty grocery store with food bar. We slipped into the dining area, which was cozy and cleanly decorated.

We were the only ones there at the time, and a server came to our table right away with menus and water for the table. The water had been infused with cucumber slices, which was refreshing and always makes me feel like I'm sitting at a spa. The featured drink option of the day was coconut water, fresh from a young coconut and served in a wine glass.

For an appetizer, we ordered the cheese plate, which includes a variety of nut-based cheeses in different flavors alongside dehydrated crackers, dried fruit and nuts. We took turns sampling the different cheeses and then pressing them into the various toppings. We each attempted to pick our favorite, but that kept changing with each bite - sometimes it was the one with a prominent flavor of basil, then it would be the garlicky one, then the more spicy one... They gave a generous amount of each of the cheeses, and I had to remind myself that I still had a main course coming.

For the main course, I ordered the Pad Thai. I generally see kelp noodles or spiralized zucchini in raw noodle dishes, but for this entrée coconut meat was used. They cut the inner meat from a young coconut into long strips and tossed it in a creamy curry sauce with bean sprouts, peas, scallions, carrots, and marinated mushrooms. The sauce definitely had a spicy kick, and I liked the crunch of the bean sprouts against the softness of the coconut meat noodles.

My friend ordered the empanadas, which were made with flax and corn masa pastry dough and then stuffed with chorizo and served with raw chocolate mole and salsa verde. I stopped myself from reaching across with a fork to sample one of his empanadas, which he was clearly enjoying. Instead I asked if he'd have raw food again sometime, to which he said, "Well, if raw food is like this then I would."

If I lived in Chicago, all of Karyn's restaurants would definitely be in my regular rotation, including her raw cafe where I'd love to make it my mission to sample the menu from top to bottom (leaving out the menu items with honey, of course).

Pros: fresh, inventive, creative
Missjosierose
Missjosierose

cafe

Posted on 08 / 11 / 2012

Only tried juice at the cafe. Found my juice to be more sweet fruit then green veggies a little disappointing but I am more sensitive to sugar than most. Still pleased. Would love to try the sit down portion

vegannomad2
vegannomad2

One of the best vegan restaurants in Chicago city

Posted on 06 / 07 / 2012

Food is very good, all vegan, creative cuisine. Large selection of vegan deserts. Moderate prices, seasonal outdoor seating, Service can be spotty at times depending upon the tenure of the wait staff, but generally good. Limited seating, recommend make reservations. Serves vegan brunch on weekends. Medium size restaurant, can be noisy when full. American and select ethnic menu. Serves wine and beer and juices.

Pros: All vegan, tasty , Good size servings
Cons: noisy when full
veganmiss
veganmiss

Karyn's Fresh Corner

Posted on 12 / 20 / 2011

Karyn's Fresh Corner is where Karyn's Raw is located as well as the holistic wellness center, and a small market with a juice bar. The market has raw and organic products plus some of Karyn's food to-go. If you need some rather obscure raw items that you can't find at Whole Foods, this is the place to go (ex: detox items). They also have a raw salad bar and a juice/smoothie bar. It's a nice place to stop by for a quick pick-up lunch and an organic juice. The salad bar is $7.99 a pound or $12.95 for all-you-can-eat. I got the raw salad bar and a BLT sandwich (be warned, some of the breads the sandwiches are made of have honey in them, but they are marked). I have to say, I think I'm not a fan of raw sandwiches. I've had them from raw before and now from Karyn's and both times I have found them too acidic and just off tasting. I much preferred the raw salad and the juice. The juice was a lovely pick-me-up. I had the summer cooler, though the employee recommended the peaceful warrior.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2011/12/vegan-chicago-restaurant-review-of_05.html

Nelson
Nelson
  • raw

unfortunately one of the few raw options in chi

Posted on 05 / 12 / 2011

The raw buffet is generally a decent option given the lack of alternatives in Chicago, but it is limited in selection, generally repetitive, and many dishes are too vinegary or over-salted. And it's expensive. The prepared dishes available from the refrigerated display include some nicer options, but they are more expensive and generally not very filling. In addition to being a cafe, tbis is also a store for super-foods and health and beauty products -- almost all of them plastered with Karyn's name and with the price hiked up in comparison to the same product in a good health food store. The walls are plastered with everything that's ever been put in print about Karyn Calabrese -- she is constantly promoting herself -- which adds to the overall distastefulness of the place for me. Given few raw options in Chicago, I nevertheless find myself there fairly regularly when in Chicago, which is the most pathetic thing of all! What has made me permanently suspicious of Karyn's, however, is that she sells raw chocolate bars with her name on them that have sugar in them. I find that extremely offensive and misleading.

Pros: one of few raw food options
Cons: exploitatively expensive, obnoxiously self-promoting, food is nothing special
  • JohnnySensible JohnnySensible

This is not a review. It is an exremely unpleasant view of your psychological problems Nelson. Delete it & check the expiry date of your medication.

jill_1011
jill_1011

Sunday Brunch

Posted on 12 / 28 / 2010

I went for brunch on December 26, 2010.

My date and i were not given a menu, indication of price or how the restaurant operated. We finally guessed it was an open food bar. However, when we arrived to the buffet, a stuffy server appeared out of no where and handled the food himself (with tongs) onto our plates. This is a new technique for me and quite frankly, i don't like people, other than chefs, touching my food. This is was a turn off also because i have food sensitivities and I really only wanted a few items, not a bit of everything. I felt uncomfortable declining the dishes--was it allowed to take seconds of one course and not another? i was never told.

our plates were cleared and we were presented with a $60 bill for 2. That was for the buffet --if you can call it that--alone. no drinks were ordered.

Pros: creative food
Cons: expensive
Morgan Manock
Morgan Manock

Great!

Posted on 07 / 04 / 2010

I just recently joined the vegetarian lifestyle and this was the first place I went. If you are as strict as a vegan or even just don't care for meat, this is the place for you. Wide menu, great area to eat outside if its nice, and helpful staff.

SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Best Vegan Raw in Chicago

Posted on 10 / 18 / 2009

I refused to go to Kayrn's Raw for the longest time due to my first experience there. I had the ravioli and I didn't care for it - the sauce comes cold (room temperature would have been better) and has too many olives in it, but the nut paste within the ravioli was really good though. So I gave it another try a year later, but this time I got the pasta primavera...WOW! It's made with zucchini noodles (wow!) and pine nut sauce (delicious!) and you also get servings of other well prepared vegetables. All I have to say is that this dish is truly amazing and it has kept me coming back on a regular basis. My bf has enjoyed everything he's eaten from Kayrn's Raw as well.

Another thing to note, they have a deli/store connected (also Kayrn's) that carries all kinds of Vegan Raw foods. The Raw Mint Carob Cake is very good. I highly recommend Karyn's, not only is the food good, but the location is very nice. It's a great place to go for a nice dinner (great for dates), you can get dressed up nice if you want (but you're fine in your regular casual attire as well).

lauraw
lauraw

A Raw Institution

Posted on 09 / 11 / 2009

If you are into eating raw, interested in learning more, or just curious, Karyn's is THE place to go. Karyn, herself, is an inspiration; and the cafe and restaurant are inspiring as well. There is so much to learn and experience upon every visit. Many uninformed people it is expensive, but if you have tried preparing raw organic food at home, you will quickly understand why the food is a couple dollars more than you might expect. I prefer the cafe side to the restaurant. The salad bar is a GREAT DEAL. You can have a super lunch or dinner for $5-$10 from the bar. The juices and smoothies are amazing. The desserts are out of this world even for those who enjoy any type of food. The raw granola bars are incredible and a meal in themselves. Try the kale chips too, yum! Karyn's changed my life, I highly recommend it. Don't forget your shot of wheatgrass!

Pros: healthy, inspiring, life changing
Cons: slow service
jaml730
jaml730

Expensive

Posted on 03 / 16 / 2009

I've been to Karyn's Cooked before and liked it, so I decided to try this place. At the main restaurant, the prices were high and the portions were small. It just wasn't worth the money. I tried to eat at the attached cafe instead, but almost everything had honey listed as an ingredient.

Pros: Healthy food
Cons: Expensive, Small portions, Limited seating in cafe
LizOmen
LizOmen
  • raw

Try the desserts, brunch, and sandwichs.

Posted on 01 / 17 / 2009

I will go here once awhile when i am in the area. I recommend the sunday brunch, and go there hungry. It is a great deal for what you get and gives you a chance to try a little of everything! Including some desserts. When i eat at the restaurant side i enjoy their salads. I will go to their cafe most of the time. They have some great drinks, ice cream, desserts, and sandwiches. The cafe side will also save you some money since it's cheaper than eating at the restaurant.

Pros: Raw food, desserts, chioces
Cons: $$$, some dishes are too nut heavy
vegansoul
vegansoul

Raw Sunday Brunch for energy

Posted on 05 / 03 / 2008

I visited Karyn's in April 08 on my first trip to Chicago. I thought it was a very nice interior and the staff was very friendly. I was not aware how much the brunch was going to cost until my bill came - I'm guessing they assumed everyone was a regular or my table was supposed to have a menu on it and it didn't. The food was very good and different for me, since I'd never had uncooked meals before. Most people assume raw vegan means you are just munching on raw vegetables and fruit. This place gives it a whole new meaning. I loved my meal and felt extremely energetic afterwards. I couldn't afford a $25 brunch every Sunday - but I don't live in Chicago anyway.

Pros: perfect for a date, delicious, store attached
Cons: Expensive
Guest
Guest

Bad Experience

Posted on 03 / 08 / 2008

I used to go to Karyn's all the time in highschool when I had a lot of disposable income...it's expensive. This is the best raw food you will find however. It is just so delicious I didn't mind spending the money. The salad bar and Karyn's to go are a better deal and still delicious. However, the last time I went the manager was so rude to me I refuse to go back. I asked if they had any positions available, and she basically walked away from me. The service was also not good the last time I went, admittedly this was 3 years ago.

Pros: Excellent Food, Very Healthy, Almost Completely Vegan
Cons: Bad Service, Expensive, Rude Manager
sirius09
sirius09

The Place to Go

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2008

My husband and I love this restaurant. We have learned a lot about raw foods through going to Karyn's often. Karyn, Bernie and the staff make us feel very welcome. I get there once a week at least. My husband goes more often because his schedule is different than mine. I'd love to go there daily. If it were near my job, I'd buy my lunch there every day.

Pros: overall healthy cuisine, wonderful atmosphere, good bargains on supplements & groceries
Cons: some foods too salty, some things too pricey
JPOrchanian
JPOrchanian

Not for everyone

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2007

Well, I suppose if you are a die hard vegan raw foodist, this place will be wonderful for you. If you don't follow the raw food movement, then you may be a little dissapointed. There's just something about a place that claims to be "conscious dining" and then uses peacock feathers to decorate, packs your leftovers in two layers of thick plastic containers, and sells bottled water, that just does not sit well with me.

And when you call cold vegitable slices wrapped around nut paste "ravioli"...that just seems like false advertising.

Like I said, if it's your thing, then it's your thing. But if you are tryng to win converts from the meat intensive camp into the conscious eating camp, you might want to make a few other stops first. Some stops where they cook the food.

Cute little store attached to it, though.

Pros: Definately fresh, Classy atmosphere, tap water was good
Cons: Raw, used peacock feathers for decor, expensive

Dear Owner and Manager of Karyn's Fresh Corner: