Serves meat, veg options available. South African food restaurant moved here from Provincetown. Meat-based menu but has a few veggie choices. Price: Moderate more-less
African, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
3 Main St Unit 32B
Eastham, Massachusetts 02642
508-255-8288

Mon 4:30pm-9:00pm, Wed-Sun 4:30pm-9:00pm

First Review by passedout
harrysandy
harrysandy

Karoo Restaurant is Fabulous!

Posted on 07 / 16 / 2015

Karoo has many vegan options on their menu. We had vegan pakoras and vegan samosas as starters. Very good. We shared Vegan Bunny and Pap & Chakalaka for entrees. Our teenagers loved the Vegan Bunny--a stew served on top of South African french fries and in between two halves of a roll that was kind of like an English muffin but different. Really wonderful dish. The Pap and Chakalaka is a garbanzo bean stew served over South African polenta. It was very good (we added a little salt, but there's no shame in that). And they had vegan lemon sorbet for dessert. Our son is peanut allergic, so we could not try the West African Peanut Soup or the Cape Malay Stew, but they look good on the menu. There were also Mediterranean dishes with hummus, grape leaves and falafel, but we skipped those so we could try South African dishes we never sampled before. There is also a Power Salad with garbanzo beans, lentils, quinoa and couscous which we did not try.

We've been coming to the Cape for years and find it so frustrating to find vegan food. Karoo actually thought about and prepared for vegans in advance. They are now on our annual list of place to go. There is only 1 other restaurant on this list. I can't tell you how thrilled I am. And the ambience is lovely, very African decor. Even the sounds of the customers seemed so much more excited instead of usual same-old-Cape type sleeping-while-awake sounds you might find at other restaurants. Do not miss this one.

Karoo used to be called "Karoo Kafe" when it was located in Provincetown. But it changed its name to "Karoo Restaurant" when it moved to Eastham. Also note the hours are different than the ones embedded in the first photo. They are now open 4:30-9:00 pm every day Except for Tuesday, when they are closed.
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 16, 2015

Pros: Delicious, Exotic
aabuck
aabuck

great food

Posted on 05 / 10 / 2015

Many vegan and vegetarian options at this restaurant. I highly recommend the cape Malay stew and the peanut soup. Friendly service, and delicious food. Definitely worth a stop.

Kelly_BeeOhEn
Kelly_BeeOhEn

Going Coo-Coo for Karoo

Posted on 09 / 11 / 2014

I just LOVED my meal at Karoo Kafe! They have a lot of vegan options (anything on their menu marked green is vegan) and they have a great little corner with sauces and incidentals that you can buy. My only gripe is that I seldom visit Cape Cod so I don't see returning in the near future. Great eats, I highly recommend it!

sglcklch
sglcklch

Food was ok but overpriced

Posted on 09 / 29 / 2013

It seems like all the other reviewers here managed to pick out the "reasonably priced" items, but unfortunately I did not. A veggie-tofu curry with rice served with plastic utensils on a paper plate at a generic cafe for $16 was laughable. To be fair, it was a decent dish - the sauce was flavorful, pleasantly spicy, nice and thick with plenty of veggies and tofu, but the whole experience felt too casual, if not sloppy, for that price point. Besides, the tofu wasn't even prepared or seasoned. It was nothing more than plain soft tofu chopped up and thrown into the stew. Knocking a few dollars off would have been more reasonable... or at least make an effort and use a better type of tofu. A firmer variety would be more desirable.

Another thing I didn't quite get was their environmental attitude. On the one hand, they seemed pretty green - separating trash and posting a note reminding people to only get one water cup per person to reduce waste, but on the other hand, those cups were plastic and food was served with plastic utensils, which were anything but eco-friendly. So what exactly they were trying to do, I don't know.

I was checking out the desserts on my way out and was directed by the staff to the health food market right behind them for vegan options. I should've just eaten there instead because for the same price I could've gotten a nice wrap/salad and a drink plus dessert... Well, too late.

Cons: overpriced, cheap utensils & plates
lfusfeld
lfusfeld

Delicious Vegan Options!

Posted on 06 / 23 / 2013

There are a few vegan entrees, most of the salads are vegan, and there are some vegan appetizers too. The food was exceptionally good - we actually ate at the Karoo Restaurant in nearby Eastham (same ownership). The chef came over and thanked us for eating there and told us she is working on vegan desserts. Really a delightful experience.

Pros: Delicious, Reasonably Priced, Fast Service
Cons: Non-vegan food dominates the menu
passedout
passedout

Nice staff and great food

Posted on 06 / 16 / 2013

We stopped into Karoo Kafe for an early dinner. I found the variety of food very interesting. It seemed to be a blend of Middle Eastern and Indian dishes all working together to form some nice plates. We snacked on the pakoras and then moved onto to a couple sandwiches (tofu pita and falafel) both of which were excellent. Their soup of the day was African Peanut which had a creamy pumpkin base. Excellent meal all around.

Pros: Friendly staff, Great food

Dear Owner and Manager of Karoo Restaurant: