CLOSED: Karmavore

Was Karmavore Vegan Shop and changed to a cafe serving food and desserts. Pay parking on Columbia St or behind the store; free parking after 6pm. Reported closed due to fire. FEB 2014 REPORTED NOT RE-OPENING HERE. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Canadian, Western

First Review by scocasso
cookiemonster
cookiemonster

Delicious! Slow Service.

4 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2013

So many yummy desserts, wraps and burgers are good and we tried the mushroomy cheesey poutine. The magic wizard milkshake was incredible.

One complaint : incredibly slow service. It was impressive how slow they managed to be, especially as we were the only orders the kitchen had.

Pros: Delicious , Variety of desserts , Friendly
Cons: Slow!
thevegankelly
thevegankelly

Disappointing

3 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2013

I hadn't been to Karmavore since they stopped being a store and started being a cafe, so I was excited to try their food. I expected a decent cafe-style meal and instead got what was basically vegan McDonalds. The burgers (we had the quinoa burger and the beefless burger) were just the same old brands you can find in any grocery store nowadays (and not even the best brands), and they weren't even served in any original way. The fries came out well after we'd finished the burgers, and they were just boring, over cooked fries. It wasn't exactly what we expected for the price. There are way too many vegan and non-vegan places making delicious, homemade veggie burgers now for this to be acceptable unless the burgers were way cheaper and not advertised like they were something special. The veggie chicken strips with sweet mustard were Gardein Crispy Tenders, which were good, but again, nothing special. The baked goods (croissants, desserts) were good, but I've had way better.

Pros: Satisfies a fast food craving, Good selection of desserts
Cons: Boring burgers, Mediocre baked goods, Over priced
QuothTheRaven
QuothTheRaven

My Favourite

5 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2013

Karmavore is definitely one of my favourite places in the Vancouver area. I always get very excited to visit and enjoy the different selection of vegan products. There café is also extremely amazing and delicious and the staff is just as sweet. Their soft serve is to die for!

Pros: All vegan, Great selection , Friendly
NeilGaudet
NeilGaudet

just awesome.

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2013

Friendly place and by a very long shot the Thai burger is the best vegan burger I've ever had.

Pros: friendly staff, tasty food, all vegan
Cons: none
vegan frog
vegan frog

Shame it's not bigger

4 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2013

Great little store with many options, including some things you can't find in Whole Foods. Shame it's a bit far from Downtown Vancouver, it's a bit of an effort to get there. They have great options but everytime we've been there always were out of stock for something or other.

Posi Britt
Posi Britt

O.M.G.......

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2012

This was seriously the best place I have ever been. I could live on their deli food. The grocery store in the basement was a bit small but they had good stuff. Lots of rad raw foods and more chocolate than should be allowed as options for a vegan. Head exploded!

Upstairs had adorable shirts, shoes, and other radical AR related stuff. Can I live here please?

Pros: Amazing deli, Pretty reasonable prices, Rad local organization merchadise
Cons: Some clothes and shoes a bit expensive, Nor nearly big enough, Don't ship deli items I want to Alberta
Vesanto
Vesanto

Great to have this in New West

4 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2011

This is a terrific little store, with a deli and snack bar that stocks the most delicious vegan food. Well worth stopping by. And I have found good footwear, books, and gift items there.

Pros: Completely vegan, Good choice of products, Reasonable prices
fop21
fop21

Erica's Review of Karmavore

5 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2011

Karmavore has a great selection of clothing, shoes, groceries and other misc. items, and in a suburb! I was in the area visiting a friend, and we were happy that we didn't have to travel far for vegan/vegetarian food. I had the vegetarian chili with a cheesy stick and a vegan chocolate cupcake. Food was so good. It was a great experience. Very cool store and a great range of products (things I would have to go to downtown Vancouver for, if I could even find it). Thank you.

Pros: excellent food, great variety of vegan/vegetarian items, friendly staff
Cons: a bit pricey
kimward8
kimward8

All Vegan Store

5 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2011

I love their vegan soft serve ice cream, chocolate, vanilla or twist! They also make amazing vegan croissants, and have vegan perogies in the freezer section.

nenni
nenni

Amazing

5 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2011

This is a shop I ALWAYS visit when I'm in Vancouver. I get really excited to go. I've never been in a store quite like it. The selection is fantastic, the store is beautiful and the staff is helpful!

Pros: selection
trufflepiggy
trufflepiggy

yay, boots!

4 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2011

i've bought three pairs of boots from karmavore, the latest being a pair of vegetarian shoes 20-eyelet steel caps. i love 'em...

before i went raw, i used to buy sweet & sara marshmallows from karmavore; i stockpiled both the toasted coconut and cinnamon pecan varieties in my fridge. i'd missed marshies for years, and it was a marvelous treat to find and be able to eat them again. yay, karmavore!

Pros: great footwear!, lots of vegan food products, fresh food at deli
leah stoltz
leah stoltz

• non-vegetarian

Great products in our local vegan store..Karmavore

4 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2011

When I needed to make a non dairy cake for my son's birthday, I wanted it to be great. Did some research online, found Karmavore - Healthy top! delicious topping for his gluten free dairy free cake. Since shopping at Karmavore, we learned about Daiya cheese.. which has been a great addition to our fridge. Each time we visit, we find new healthy choices to try. Thanks!

Pros: healthy, local, helpful
tracereraser
tracereraser

Great products

5 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2011

We recently moved to Vancouver from Toronto. In Ontario, we used to visit Karmavore's website regularly and would drool over all of the unique products that we couldn't find at home. When we ordered items online, their service was quick and extremely friendly. Now that we're in BC, we can't wait to make it out to the store with our long list of must-haves. As a vegan with celiac disease, it is so exciting to have so many tasty choices at my fingertips.

Lululovegood
Lululovegood

Karmavore, Vegan Store for all ages!

4 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2011

I first discovered Karmavore online, and their online store has a lot of foods and products that are hard to find (or not available at all) anywhere else. The fact that they provide consumers with the choice of purchasing via the internet/mail, opens up a wider door for more people, those who don't live in the New Westminster area (I live in Surrey). When you step inside the physical store, you find yourself greeted by great customer service, a great variety of 100% vegan products from household items, bath&body care, hair products, vegan deli, vegan 'meats', vegan alternatives (vegan milk beverages, and Tofutti cream cheese is also popular). Karmavore even has clothing advocating veganism, human-animal rights, etc! This place is a must-visit to all local veggie-peoples out there, especially if you want a one-stop place for all your veggie needs! Go Karmavore! :-)

Pros: great customer service, one-stop vegan shop, organic!
Cons: store hours aren't TOO convenient, too far for South Surrey peeps? :/
Kasun
Kasun

My store

4 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2011

This is the right place to go for an ethical minded consumer. They have everything from food, clothing, cosmetics, pet food, cleaning supplies and all the hard to find vegan items. Love the variety and eco-friendliness in every item in store. Very efficient cute website to see what's in store before you even go there! The staff is friendly and most welcoming.

Pros: 100% vegan, eco-friendly, friendly staff
drschoen
drschoen

Vegan shopping is closer than you think.

5 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2011

Karmavore Vegan Shop in New Westminster, BC is my "go to" store for stocking up on everyday as well a special vegan supplies. In addition to wonderful foodstuffs, they offer clothing, shoes, personal cleansing/makeup and a deli! They are located a pleasant 20-minute SkyTrain ride from downtown Vancouver in a funky and fantastic area of New Westminster, and if you're not able to make it to New Westminster, they have fantastic, speedy mail order for all their products. They always have special vegan treats and wares that you won't find anywhere within downtown Vancouver, and they rival any of the vegan stores I've visited in New York or anywhere else.

Pros: convenient location, deli, unique vegan treats
Guest
Guest

WOW

4 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2011

I can't believe this shop exists. It's amazing. It makes vegan shopping easy. I don't need to look at any labels. They have all kinds of great products, not to mention vegan croissants! Also, 10% goes to animal charities.

Pros: All Vegan, Hard to Find Items, Nice Staff
aquacat
aquacat

Hidden gem

5 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2009

This place is amazing! It just opened a few weeks ago, to my pleasant surprise. New West is an unusual location for a veg-friendly businesses with specialty items, some expensive. However, I was thrilled.

I checked the products online before going in. The store itself is small but carries a wide range of products with some of the stock in the back. They have food items ranging from candy bars to some frozen dinners. I bought several Tofurky products. Prices were just a few cents more than Whole Foods. Other products, like the "Smores" were a bit expensive.

They also have vegan gloves, very nice, and shoes/purses, cookbooks etc. Apparently the company does most of its business online.

Here's the clincher: they didn't have a product called Primal Strips, which are a wonderful, chewy, jerky-like snack. I mentioned it, they took note, and now they have them! That is absolutely wonderful customer service. I can't wait to pick them up.

Parking is on the street and is metered. Hours are good; open until 7.

Pros: Great service/staff, excellent variety, easy parking
Cons: Some items expensive
scocasso
scocasso

I'm a Karmavorian!

4 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2009

A neat little store in the Sapperton area of New Westminster, just few doors or so West of the intersection of Braid and Columbia. Inside you will find an wide array of vegan products from shoes, handbags, t-shirts, to pet-food, human food, to cosmetics and condoms. Karmavore also has an online store as well. Most prices are a bit lower than in other stores, and there are some really good deals such as the Chi Cake (vegan 'cheese' cake). I have found some very interesting (and tasty) items that I have not seen in any other store thus far.

Pros: all vegan, on bus route, walking distance to skytrain
Cons: up against much larger businesses

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Karmavore: