Karma Kitchen

Operating out of the Himalayan Heritage Restaurant last Sunday of the month from 12-3pm, this is a volunteer-driven experiment in generosity. Pay it forward, pay as you like service where there are no prices on the menu and where the check reads $0.00 with only this footnote: "Your meal was a gift from someone who came before you. To keep the chain of gifts alive, we invite you to pay it forward for those who dine after you." You get a fixed menu: 3 vegetarian entrees, rice, dal, naan, and dessert. Ask for re-fills if you like. Uses dairy. more-less

First Review by aparnakothary
geobrad7
geobrad7

Great idea, Execution leaves room to be desired

3 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2014

I love the concept. I also like that you are supposed to get a platter with some of everything. However, I was really let down to find out all they had on the menu this month was one vegan option: Chana Masala with rice. I have never dined Indian with so few Indian options! To make it even worse, when I ordered only the Chana Masala (instead of the four items that normally come with rice and naan), I still got the same serving size as those who got some of everything. It was about five bites. If you are only ordering one option, they should give you more of the one... They do encourage you to order seconds if you want, which I did, but even with seconds (and thirds), it was still less food than a normal dish.

It's unfortunate that the "three courses" are not at all available for diners interested in eating vegan. The options are scarce.

Pros: Philosophy/mission, Friendly service, Good food
Cons: Vegan options really lacking, Small portions
aparnakothary
aparnakothary

Karma Kitchen is karmalicious!

5 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2011

If you are in DC for the day, the weekend, or your whole life - Karma Kitchen is the place to be on Sunday! It is run by volunteers in the spirit of a gift economy and it is friendly, fascinating, and just downright fun. I encourage you to visit and eat and then go again as a volunteer! The food tastes like home and the service satisfies the soul.

Dear Owner and Manager of Karma Kitchen: