Organic vegan restaurant in the heart of Malmo. In addition to lunch and dinner, they serve cakes and desserts, lots of organic and ecological drinks, coffee. Weather permitting, outdoor seating. Previously located on Spångatan. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Buffet
Foreningsgatan 37
Malmo, Sweden 21152
Closed now

Mon-Sat 11:30am-10:00pm

First Review by sharonjriley
Picklepeas
Picklepeas

Excellent food and very reasonable price

Posted on 10 / 17 / 2014

My non vegetarian husband and myself went to Kao's last week, on a visit over to Malmo from Copenhagen. The staff were wonderful ( even to the extent of translating everything into English for us, even celery! ) - my husband had the stuffed peppers and couscous, with salad, which he scoffed down, and I went for the buffet. The choice was great, just like being at home, and then we each had a cake for pudding. A drink each and the whole thing came in at £23.55, according to my bank statement now that I am home. For food of that calibre, in Sweden, at lunchtime, that price is amazing. Thanks for being there Kao's - if we are ever in Malmo again, we will be back. Yummy!!

Pros: Choice of food, Price, Atmosphere
LadyLiv
LadyLiv

Glad I gave this place another chance!

Posted on 10 / 02 / 2014

The first time I went to Kao's was with a group of friends. I ordered the tofumoussaka. Although it was tasteful, it's wasn't too extraordinary and left me a bit disappointed. However, I decided to give Kao's another shot, and I'm glad I did. This time around I went for the lunch buffet and tried a bit of everything (apart from the hazelnut tofu as I'm allergic). What a flavour sensation! It was just like having the Royal Botanical Garden in my mouth. I'm not much of a soup person, but even Kao's lentil soup won me over.

I like the fact the Kao's has a great variety of organic soda options as well. Boy did I have trouble choosing which flavour to try (I went for the Rose Lemonade).
The atmosphere is just the way I like it, cosy and and homey, but not too crammed.

I'll be sure to visit this place once again, Perhaps next time I'll try something else from their constantly renewing daily menu or even a vegan cake!

Updated from previous review on Thursday October 02, 2014

jadeylitalo
jadeylitalo

Amazing!

Posted on 10 / 02 / 2014

One of the absolute best vegan restaurants I've ever been to! The atmosphere is nice and cozy and the food is incredibly good! And it's refreshing to have table service instead of a buffet.

Pros: Table service, Cozy, Delicious food

inselkind
inselkind

that a really good vegan restaurant

Posted on 08 / 20 / 2014

I really liked the atmosphere there. they had lunch buffet for 75kr. that was great. many cakes and sweet treats too. that a great vegan restaurant. just hard to decide what to eat ;)

Tjaldur
Tjaldur

Sweet tooth

Posted on 08 / 13 / 2014

Lovely place, not far for the city center.
I haven't had a chance to eat at Kao's but I did have a coffee and blueberry cake. And it was excellent.
Most definitely going back for more, next time I'm in Malmo.

Jonatand
Jonatand

excellent!

Posted on 07 / 21 / 2014

One of my favourite vegan places in Malmö! No complaints whatsoever, just go there when you are in town! Bit pricey but worth every penny!
Updated from previous review on Friday June 27, 2014

Laxsill
Laxsill

Best vegan food in Malmö

Posted on 07 / 18 / 2014

I ate the christmas buffet last christmas and I think I met the baby Jesus through the fantastic food. At least the food gave me salvation. I've used Kao's for group bookings too, and they cooperated perfectly. They were easy to deal with, they gave us a good place to sit and eat, the billing worked smoothly.

jankp
jankp

One of my absolute favorite restaurants in Malmo

Posted on 07 / 07 / 2014

I lived for more than 6 years just outside Malmo and I have been going to Kao's eversince, and their food are really tasty They even catered for our wedding(70 people) plus an impressiv weddingcake.
If you are going for lunch they have two different menues (very cheap) and of course the all day menu. The portiens are medium size which leaves room for their very well tasting desserts(and there are many to choose from). They do not compromise with the quality of the food (which we really found out when we ordered for our wedding). Food is of high quality and very well tasting. You will find tastes which are out of the ordenary(ex. Starfruitfoam with burgers and potatoes) as well as more ordenary, but still well tasting courses. One of my favorites are the burger menu with rootfruitschips, homemade dips and salat but the mushroomrisotto is also a good choice. They use lentils/peas/tofu/soyaproducts in the food so there are plenty of protien if you want. All is vegan! If I could visit just one restaurant in Malmo while I was there, this would be it.

Captain Chaos
Captain Chaos

No complaints!

Posted on 05 / 19 / 2014

The athmosphere was nice, the food was delicious and the staff very nice and helpful. The prices were really moderate! When I'm back in Malmö I'll definitely go there again.

Men-schen-feind
Men-schen-feind

tasteless

Posted on 04 / 08 / 2014

I've been at Kao's one Friday evening in April 2014. The place was crowded (basically with fixie hipsters and the like), but I was fortunate enough to find a free table and ordered a burger with sweet potato fries and salad.

The serving was rather small and the food (which came after a 20 minutes' wait) wasn't exactly hot. The burger had no taste whatsoever and was rather dry. The cold gravy (basic ketchup and some sort of sour cream) had no taste either. Everything was lacking herbs and spices, let alone salt and pepper. The salad (trite green salad and raw red cabbage) came without dressing.

Considering quantity and quality, the menu was rather expensive.
Personally, I will not eat at Kao's again when visiting Malmö the next time.

trinitybourne
trinitybourne

Totally fabulous food!

Posted on 03 / 08 / 2014

I am so glad that we paid Kao's a visit. It's so good to find an all vegan place that serves good healthy food and leaves you feeling really satiated and full.

There are a few options. I chose the mashed potato and agave fried cabbage with green lentil 'steak', some sort of savoury cream and a salad. It was all really delicious. My husband enjoyed the Kao burger with roast vegetable fries and salad and was well pleased!

We totally vegged out and enjoyed raw lemon cheeze cake and raw chocolate & blue berry cheeze cake for dessert too. OMG! Absolutely amazing. I am chef myself and can be quite disappointed with vegan foods when eating out - but this is top class and I really recommend it.

They had quite a selection of other tempting desserts too.

The lady serving was really gentle, sweet and helpful... One of the chef's (who I pulled over to ask what was in that cheeze cake) was really friendly and helpful too. Made it so welcoming.

I can totally recommend this place if you want great filling vegan food made with care.

Pros: All vegan, Super delcious, Raw food desserts
Cons: Decor could be a bit more fresh
piffelina
piffelina

One of my favorite places in Malmö

Posted on 10 / 17 / 2013

One of the things I miss most about living in Malmö, is Kao's. I always try to pay them a visit whenever I'm around, and I love it there. The staff are always friendly and welcoming (even when I showed up grumpy once for being sad about missing their Christmas buffet). The prices are fair, everything is vegan, lots of cookies and cakes. Everything about this place is great!

Pros: Friendly staff, Knowledgable staff, Great food at good prices
Winterdragon
Winterdragon
  • herbivore

My favourite restaurant

Posted on 08 / 07 / 2013

All of their food is incredibly tasty, and their drinks and desserts are amazing as well. In addition to their regular menu they always have two special dishes; "fake (meat) of the day" and "vegetable of the day", often innovative vegan takes on traditional Swedish food. The staff is nice and friendly (and happy to help out and modify dishes for people with allergies), and the atmosphere is cozy. Long and convenient opening-hours as well. Hands down my favourite restaurant, and vegan all the way nonetheless!

Pros: Tasty food, Friendly staff, Innovative menu
bencamps
bencamps

If in Malmo go to Kao's!!

Posted on 06 / 13 / 2013

I actually visited Kao's back in March but have been slow to get around to writing a review. The menu was on a board behind the counter but the friendly, jovial guy who worked there eas able to explain everything in perfect English. On the menu that day was: Vegan Burger, Soup & Lunch Buffet, Carbonara, Mushroom Risotto and a special of the day which was a veg and tofu dish but by the time we got there had ran out. There is a full drinks menu including various coffees, international beers, teas and juices. The place itself is bright and funky yet cosy too. I had the carbonara which was really good although the highlight was desert - I had a vegan adaption of Swedish Prince's cake which was out of this world!

SCos
SCos

Bohemian fine dining

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2013

The food in Kao´s is a-w-e-s-o-m-e it looks and tastes so good. The restaurant keeper is a very friendly person. I suggest the "dagens fejk" which is a feak meat meal. Burgers are also very tasty.

The place itself is nice and bohemian, the inner ward is beautiful. They have cloth serviettes. Everyone should live in Malmö partly because there is this restaurant. :)

Pros: Friendly staff, The best taste, Organic stuff
Cons: Closed on Sundays
LinusLindell
LinusLindell

My favourite vegan place in Malmo!

Posted on 10 / 15 / 2011

Being vegan in Malmo, Sweden is a treat. There's lots of affordable and excellent food all over the town, but this restaurant has become my favourite lately. There's nothing that I don't like about Kao's. My main problem with this restaurant is that I passed by this place approximately 20 times without realizing that it was a vegan restaurant...maybe they should spend some more time advertising it (or maybe I'm a bit stupid). Anyway, staff is great, lunch is amazing, the burger is to die for, cakes are lovely, the soy latte is evil (in a good way), the prices are really affordable, everything is just perfect except the outdoor seating area, which is a bit too close to the noisy street. The only way to improve this place is therefore to ban cars in central Malmo...

Pros: Food!!!, Staff and atmosphere, Everything, really
Cons: Nothing apart from boring street outside
sharonjriley
sharonjriley

A real vegan restaurant!

Posted on 07 / 14 / 2011

Great restaurant - so good to see this kind of vegan restaurant in Sweden. Not the typical salad bar style of vegetarian restaurant. Has dishes like risoto, vegan pot pie, and vegan burgers - served elegantly and the restaurant has a nice atmosphere. The food wasn't the best I've ever eaten, but my non-vegan friend was impressed. Everything was vegan. I didn't try the desserts, but there were quite a few to choose from, as well as organic juices and sodas. No alcohol (yet). Couldn't find a website for them, but here's their facebook page.

The prices were good (I had the burger, which was the most expensive at 85SEK).

Dear Owner and Manager of Kao's: