Organic vegan restaurant in the heart of Malmo. In addition to lunch and dinner, they serve cakes and desserts, lots of organic and ecological drinks, coffee. Weather permitting, outdoor seating. Previously located on Spångatan. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Buffet
Foreningsgatan 37
Malmo, Sweden 21152

Open Mon-Sat 11:30am-10pm, closed Sun.

First Review by sharonjriley
Men-schen-feind
Men-schen-feind

tasteless

2 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2014

I've been at Kao's one Friday evening in April 2014. The place was crowded (basically with fixie hipsters and the like), but I was fortunate enough to find a free table and ordered a burger with sweet potato fries and salad.

The serving was rather small and the food (which came after a 20 minutes' wait) wasn't exactly hot. The burger had no taste whatsoever and was rather dry. The cold gravy (basic ketchup and some sort of sour cream) had no taste either. Everything was lacking herbs and spices, let alone salt and pepper. The salad (trite green salad and raw red cabbage) came without dressing.

Considering quantity and quality, the menu was rather expensive.
Personally, I will not eat at Kao's again when visiting Malmö the next time.

trinitybourne
trinitybourne

Totally fabulous food!

5 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2014

I am so glad that we paid Kao's a visit. It's so good to find an all vegan place that serves good healthy food and leaves you feeling really satiated and full.

There are a few options. I chose the mashed potato and agave fried cabbage with green lentil 'steak', some sort of savoury cream and a salad. It was all really delicious. My husband enjoyed the Kao burger with roast vegetable fries and salad and was well pleased!

We totally vegged out and enjoyed raw lemon cheeze cake and raw chocolate & blue berry cheeze cake for dessert too. OMG! Absolutely amazing. I am chef myself and can be quite disappointed with vegan foods when eating out - but this is top class and I really recommend it.

They had quite a selection of other tempting desserts too.

The lady serving was really gentle, sweet and helpful... One of the chef's (who I pulled over to ask what was in that cheeze cake) was really friendly and helpful too. Made it so welcoming.

I can totally recommend this place if you want great filling vegan food made with care.

Pros: All vegan, Super delcious, Raw food desserts
Cons: Decor could be a bit more fresh
piffelina
piffelina

One of my favorite places in Malmö

5 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2013

One of the things I miss most about living in Malmö, is Kao's. I always try to pay them a visit whenever I'm around, and I love it there. The staff are always friendly and welcoming (even when I showed up grumpy once for being sad about missing their Christmas buffet). The prices are fair, everything is vegan, lots of cookies and cakes. Everything about this place is great!

Pros: Friendly staff, Knowledgable staff, Great food at good prices
Winterdragon
Winterdragon

• herbivore

My favourite restaurant

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2013

All of their food is incredibly tasty, and their drinks and desserts are amazing as well. In addition to their regular menu they always have two special dishes; "fake (meat) of the day" and "vegetable of the day", often innovative vegan takes on traditional Swedish food. The staff is nice and friendly (and happy to help out and modify dishes for people with allergies), and the atmosphere is cozy. Long and convenient opening-hours as well. Hands down my favourite restaurant, and vegan all the way nonetheless!

Pros: Tasty food, Friendly staff, Innovative menu
bencamps
bencamps

If in Malmo go to Kao's!!

5 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2013

I actually visited Kao's back in March but have been slow to get around to writing a review. The menu was on a board behind the counter but the friendly, jovial guy who worked there eas able to explain everything in perfect English. On the menu that day was: Vegan Burger, Soup & Lunch Buffet, Carbonara, Mushroom Risotto and a special of the day which was a veg and tofu dish but by the time we got there had ran out. There is a full drinks menu including various coffees, international beers, teas and juices. The place itself is bright and funky yet cosy too. I had the carbonara which was really good although the highlight was desert - I had a vegan adaption of Swedish Prince's cake which was out of this world!

SCos
SCos

Bohemian fine dining

5 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2013

The food in Kao´s is a-w-e-s-o-m-e it looks and tastes so good. The restaurant keeper is a very friendly person. I suggest the "dagens fejk" which is a feak meat meal. Burgers are also very tasty.

The place itself is nice and bohemian, the inner ward is beautiful. They have cloth serviettes. Everyone should live in Malmö partly because there is this restaurant. :)

Pros: Friendly staff, The best taste, Organic stuff
Cons: Closed on Sundays
LinusLindell
LinusLindell

My favourite vegan place in Malmo!

5 Posted on 10 / 15 / 2011

Being vegan in Malmo, Sweden is a treat. There's lots of affordable and excellent food all over the town, but this restaurant has become my favourite lately. There's nothing that I don't like about Kao's. My main problem with this restaurant is that I passed by this place approximately 20 times without realizing that it was a vegan restaurant...maybe they should spend some more time advertising it (or maybe I'm a bit stupid). Anyway, staff is great, lunch is amazing, the burger is to die for, cakes are lovely, the soy latte is evil (in a good way), the prices are really affordable, everything is just perfect except the outdoor seating area, which is a bit too close to the noisy street. The only way to improve this place is therefore to ban cars in central Malmo...

Pros: Food!!!, Staff and atmosphere, Everything, really
Cons: Nothing apart from boring street outside
sharonjriley
sharonjriley

A real vegan restaurant!

4 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2011

Great restaurant - so good to see this kind of vegan restaurant in Sweden. Not the typical salad bar style of vegetarian restaurant. Has dishes like risoto, vegan pot pie, and vegan burgers - served elegantly and the restaurant has a nice atmosphere. The food wasn't the best I've ever eaten, but my non-vegan friend was impressed. Everything was vegan. I didn't try the desserts, but there were quite a few to choose from, as well as organic juices and sodas. No alcohol (yet). Couldn't find a website for them, but here's their facebook page.

The prices were good (I had the burger, which was the most expensive at 85SEK).

Dear Owner and Manager of Kao's: