Serves meat, veg options available. This place was set up by an Australian but is staffed and run by local people. It's clean with A/C. The menu and specials board include vegetarian sections. Spicy lo mien noodle soup, fried rice, veggie burgers and chips. Uses organic and locally sourced as much as possible. Operates reliable tours to Ha Long and Sa Pa amongst others. Moved from 18 Bao Khanh Street. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, Western, Vietnamese, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by VeganChu
EveArmstrong
EveArmstrong

Small but decent Menu

3 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2013

This place is ok with a few decent veg options. The burger was decent and the chips amazing and it comes with a side salad. It is a little expensive but the portion sizes are big. A great place if you need a western fix on your travels!

Pros: western food, big portions
Cons: few options
bkkguy
bkkguy

Great Food, Great Service, Great Staff

4 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2013

I usually only eat at vegetarian places, but with not much choice in our area of Hanoi, I decided to give Kangaroo Cafe a go, despite the not so good reviews on here. And I was pleasantly surprised. I have a stir-fry with cashews, and it was really good and really big. Lots of different veggies, and cooked perfectly. I will go back again, as they have a few other things on the menu that I want to try. Not sure why this gets such bad reviews. Staff are very friendly and very helpful, And restaurant is very clean. It's a good place to hang out.

I would give this 5 stars, but 4 is the maximum for non-veg places.

I don't agree with the happycow rating system that allows minimum of 2 for veg places and maximum of 4 for non-veg. I can see some kind of logic there, but some veggie places I've been to don't even deserve a 1, while some non-veg really do deserve a 5.

Pros: Great food, Big portions, Friendly and Helpful Staff
Cons: Serves meat
  • veganvirtues veganvirtues

There is nothing vegan or vegetarian about this place. The fact it has a couple of token veggie dishes, doesn't make it vegetarian place. There are numerous vegan and vegetarian places in Ha Noi. this is another typical CARNI place. No stars.

Becky3343
Becky3343

Good Veggie Burger and Chips!

3 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2012

As far as normal restaurants go, has a reasonable selection of veggie food. Try the veggie burger here- but ask for it in a baguette if you do not eat egg- the burger bun has egg in. The chips are amazing! Covered in sesame seeds, a nice change! The vegetables and tofu are also really good...a nice eat if you're nearby and want something quick and easy :)

Pros: English speaking staff, Willing to alter menu items

iamere
iamere

not too much to say

2 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2012

I might not have given this restaurant enough of a chance, but after viewing the menu outside, it appeared to have hardly any vegan/ veggie options.... The menu seemed primarily focused on meat than anything else!
There are a number of other eating establishments nearby to warrant giving them a try first.

Cons: not enough vegan/ veggie options
OT
OT

NOT A GOOD VEG EXPERIENCE

2 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2011

Visited this restaurant twice in the hope it would improve but I was even more dissapointed the second time. The first visit I ordered a veg burger which was completely tasteless and difficult to eat accompanied by chunky, dry chips and no imagination in the salad. The second visit I ordered the soy meatball, fettucine with arabiata sauce - it was so spicy and heavily laden with chilli that I couldn't finish it. I then ordered another dish of vegies that were completely tasteless - veg food it usually tasty. Maybe only visit if you like spice and are a meat eater.

Pros: A/C, Cold drinks, Clean
Cons: Poor and limited seating, Pedantic owner, Clueless on Vegetarian cuisine
Petesternz
Petesternz

Stay away

2 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2010

Personally, I thought this place was nothing special, and bordered on disgusting. Can't say much about the non-veggie food, but the veggie burger was a sodden mass of potato, with no flavour. The spinach with mushrooms were bathing in oil. The juice was full of ice (more than the usual standard) and tasteless. Overall, our worst veggie experience in Hanoi.

Pros: Nice place
Cons: Everything else
VeganChu
VeganChu

Helpful and Delicious

4 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2010

We went to Kangaroo Cafe quite a few times. It's a laid back place with a good selection of veg*n food. I loved the noodle soup. Sometimes I find veggie food can be made overly complicated but here I thought it was simple and filling and just what I wanted! They do western and Asia dishes.

Also, if you are looking to do tours around Hanoi, I recommend going with these guys. They are honest and straightforward. We did an overnight boat trip to Ha Long Bay and the veggie food was amazing - far more than I could eat!!

Beware of copies of Kangaroo Cafe - make sure you get the real deal and go to the address above. It's quite near the lake.

Check it out - I loved it.

Pros: Simple delicious food, Helpful staff, Tours accomodating Veg*ns very well
Cons: Not fully veggie! ;o)

Dear Owner and Manager of Kangaroo Cafe: