Kam Meng Chinese Restaurant

Serves meat, veg options available. Located a half mile north of Walmart, by the Agate Beach Golf Course, this restaurant offers a vegan and gluten-free menu. They don't use MSG, they cook in unique vegetarian clay pots, and they will work with you according to your taste and your needs. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Western, Chinese, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by Ruthyluv
VintageVariety
VintageVariety

If you order the right thing... it's good :)

3 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2013

Although they do have the word "vegan" on the menu, I didn't get the feeling that they were very vegan friendly. I ordered a tofu curry and they came out with chicken, I had to send it back. Also, my husbands dish, the eggplant bowl, tasted fishy. Plus, it consisted of a LOT of tofu and not much eggplant. To be fair we didn't ASK if that dish was vegan, but they knew we were vegan. Also the soup was not vegan and that usually comes with the meal. The tofu curry I got, after they took the chicken dish back, turned out to be delicious though. It came with lots of fresh crispy veggies and sweet potato tempura which was delicious. Not sure if the sweet and sour sauce that came with it was vegan though. I would totally go back and get the tofu curry and tempura again, but I will have a hard time getting my husband back in there after that eggplant/tofu/fishy meal. :(
Updated from previous review on Saturday February 09, 2013

Pros: tofu curry, sweet potato tempura
Cons: not sure how vegan-knowledgable they are
Cushie
Cushie

Hooray!

4 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2011

After having been spoiled vegans in Portland for the last 6 years, my husband and I moved to Newport. We love food and were sad to be out of the foodie scene in Portland. HOWEVER, Kam Meng is a fabulous place for vegans, GF, and omnis alike. It tops any Chinese in Portland! After living here a few months we recommend this joint above all others. You get more bang for your buck and they know what VEGAN IS!

Pros: knowledgeable staff , good value, VEGAN!
Cons: Decor
Ruthyluv
Ruthyluv

Love love the coast!!

4 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2010

Kam Meng chinese restaurant served some of the best vegetarian food ever! It has improved a lot since moving on agate beach, by the gulf course- (you won't miss the colors). It is the locals favorite place to eat, and mine. Their prices are average but the food and service always outstanding. They even use gluten free soy sauce for the cooking. I love their vegetables, always fresh and crispy. I told the owner, and the owner said there was at least 20 varieties of fresh vegetables to choose from, even organic. I have been a regular for Kam Meng's for most of the time I've visited Newport. And the food is always what you expect: excellent. I recommend the special pumpkin pot w/ tofu and vegetables, green bean with bbs, garlic spinach, oh and the tofu with eggplant. They have a LOT to choose from.. I always eat with their brown rice (the healthier choice), My husband (whom is not a vegetarian) favors the seafood, and recommends the seafood pot.

If you are a vegan.vegetarian, just let Huiya know if you are choosing anything from the buffet or menu. She really tries her best for the care of her customers.. I also recommend you read her paper back story. Its very inspiring and definitely worth a read.

Pros: Good Food, Good Service, Good Price

Dear Owner and Manager of Kam Meng Chinese Restaurant: