Hot dishes and salad bar sold by weight. Also sandwiches, tofu burgers, fresh juices, smoothies, vegan and gluten-free desserts, fair trade organic coffee and tea. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Macrobiotic, Western, Salad bar, Take-out

First Review by Ally846
Zo
Zo

My favourite black bean burrito

5 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2013

Just tried the black bean and avacado burrito,
The best I've ever had. The buffet menu looked wonderful and I'm looking forward to going back.

maulydaft
maulydaft

hmm

2 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2012

I would sometimes eat at "Kale" when it was located in Noah's Health Food on Bloor. I always felt a little sad afterwards because it was more expensive than I wanted and the food was, as another reviewer perfectly put it "uninspired". I wanted some UMPH! Instead it made me "hmmm..."

Shush eats
Shush eats

Good for lunch

4 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2011

Kale is a small, clean updated buffet style restaurant. You weigh your plate when you are done making your choices. It is a little pricy ($2.40 per 100g) but you are getting high quality organic food that will nourish and clean your body. Also, if you fill your plate reasonably, instead of with your eyes, you will find that you will be full and feel light when you are done. My plate was in the $8 range and my husband's was just under $10. We had a nice squash millet stew (a little runny, but tasty), rice and spinach, coleslaw, portobello  mushroom salad, vegetable curry and many more healthy, colourful items. I finished my meal with a Matcha almond milk green tea late to go.
They also had a variety of desserts, soups, wraps, burgers and a few other options you could order if you are not the buffet type. But, this buffet was clean and appetizing.

The staff was friendly, helpful and a barista to boot.

We recommend it and will return.

Pros: Gluten free options, Clean buffet, Tasty
Cons: Small, Pricy?
melskunk
melskunk

Decent food, high prices

3 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2011

First off, there's a non pay-by-weight option at this restaurant, which I do not know if it was added later or not. I am reviewing the pay-per-weight option, as I didn't see anything that interested me on the standard sandwich and burger menu.

The food selection is small compared to a big buffet place or a place like the Commensal, but given the cafe size is understandable. The selection is still decient, with at least 2 dozen options, both hot and cold. I had a mixture of vegetables, salads and tofu.

As previously reviewed, the pay-per-weight is the real downside. The food was delicious, but I ended up paying 9 dollars for a plate that didn't really fill me up when I was finished eating. Next time, I'll try the non-weight options and see if they're better

Pros: Great food quality, Fast
Cons: Pay by Weight, Expensive
Ken4057
Ken4057

So-so

3 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2010

A beautiful, squeaky-clean joint with trendy branding. A cool, detached staff. If you trend toward that kind of atmosphere then you've found the right place.

The food was overpriced and underwhelming. The also by-weight Commensal has a far larger, more diverse and exciting selection in quirkier surroundings.

That said, the beet salad was lovely, as was the grilled tofu. If you're at Yonge & Eggs there's no competition. God I miss Happy Buddha.

Pros: clean, trendy, healthy
Cons: $$$, uninspired

Ohkamp
Ohkamp

Same problem with all pay by weight places - price

4 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2010

The food was very nice and it is wonderful to get to try many items in one meal. But, as with any pay by weight place, it ends up costing more than you'd expect. Definitely a dangerous place to visit when you're starving!

Pros: Very good food, Nice to have variety in a meal
Cons: Can be expensive
Ally846
Ally846

Lovely Take Away / Pay By Weight

4 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2010

I have been to Kale twice and will be going much more now that I have moved uptown. It is a small pay by weight place but there is a good mix of options - about 8 hot and 8 cold items. I thought the pricing was reasonable and the squash perogies were out of this world yummy.

Pros: Food`, Staff
Cons: No AC, Early Closing Time

Dear Owner and Manager of Kale: