Supermarket offering large selections in organic, eco-friendly, vegetarian and vegan food, drinks, cosmetics, body care and cleaning products, grains and macrobiotic supplies. more-less
Smartinska 152, BTC hala 9 (near the local open market)
Ljubljana, Slovenia 1000
+386-1-5233562

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Meganward322
rhelune
rhelune

Grocery shopping mecca for vegans living in Zagreb

5 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2013

This is my favourite health food store in Slovenia. About twice a year I stock up on pulses and cereals from the bulk bins, and also on products unavailable (silken tofu, Provamel soya yoghurts) or more expensive (Chocoreale, nutritional yeast) in Croatia. Kalček is far from inexpensive, but, thanks to the lower Slovenian food VAT (9.5%, compared to Croatian 25%) it's better to grocery shop there.

Kalček used to import and sell Sheese vegan cheeses, but doesn't sell them any more. Only one vegan cream cheese is available now.

Pros: well stocked
Cons: expensive
rubberbandball
rubberbandball

good one-stop shop, hard to afford everyday

3 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2010

The shop has been extended a bit, has a pleasant interior and a good selection of grain, sweet food, cleansers, cosmetics etc., as well as brochures on healthy, eco living and related organisations. The fresh fruit and veg disappoint me a bit, some look/feel hydroponic (though I'm not 100 % on that), there is not much variety and whenever I visited, there were only small quantities left (to be fair, that just might mean people buy them up quickly). Much merch is still in plastic or just redundant packaging, and there could be more wholesale containers. Again, I can't just blame the store - they support local producers, rightly so of course, and many of those still use plastic. The prices are quite high, but we're going to have to come to terms with the fact that good food is just not as cheap as empty calorie food (if the price breaks down fairly so that the producer gets enough!). The loyalty card could, however, offer more. Considering everything, this is for me still the best one-stop environmentally friendly shop in my vicinity due to the variety of products, but as the eco market in Slovenia develops, I hope to see further improvements and more competition.

Pros: wide assortment of goods, location, interior
Cons: packaging, want more local produce, prices
  • Akira Akira

Have you tried Jablana? It's very near by. I'm interested in your opinion. =)

Meganward322
Meganward322
  • raw

Kalček Šmartinasa cesta 152 1000 Ljubljana

3 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2008

This is the shop to go to for actual groceries, not the other Kalček. This shop has grains and macrobiotic supplies, and is located very close to the local open market. Freindly staff, knew enough English.
tel: 01 433 01 18 website: kalcek.si

Pros: Organic Nuts

Dear Owner and Manager of Kalcek - Smartinska: