Serves meat, veg options available. A mostly organic cafe that offers a couple of clearly marked vegan dishes and a few vegan brunch items including a scrambled tofu. Dj playing music on weekends and open til late. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, Danish, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
Vendersgade 16, Nansengade (Frederiksborggade)
Copenhagen, Denmark 1363

Open Mon-Thur 10am-12am, Fri-Sat 10am-2am, Sun 10am-11pm.

First Review by rockcita
skimmia
skimmia

not that good as I thought

3 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2014

The staff is a little bit slow, some of the tables were a little bit dirty...
The bread is good, but the jam tasted a little bit strange also the vegan "Nutella"

Pros: a few vegan options
Cons: long waits on the weekend, a littly bit shabby
Greysocialist
Greysocialist

Fresh food in a quirky bar

4 Posted on 04 / 03 / 2014

As vegetarians we found good choice at the brunch/ lunch crossover time, i.e. before 2pm. The food came with interesting accompaniments and unlimited home-made sauces and chutneys. My goat's cheese sandwich, for example, was two large rounds of grilled cheese on a mixed green salad with beetroot mousse, mustard, grapes, etc. - and a thin slice of rye bread concealed underneath. Very tasty. There were a couple of vegan offerings, clearly marked. Drinks were interesting. The bar is a bit let down by a scruffy toilet.

Pros: Imaginative food combinations, Helpful staff, Drinks menu
Cons: Toilet needs an upgrade
Gudrun
Gudrun

Nice non-veg place with good vegan options

4 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2013

Although Copenhagen has quite a few veg-only places, I could not find any within the city center which was open on a Sunday evening after 7 p.m. So I decided to follow some recommendations on Happy Cow and elsewhere on the net and went to Kalaset. I did not regret it. It's quite a nice and cozy place with old radios and audio tape devices decorating the walls. A bit like a pub serving also good food. There were 2 clearly labeled vegan dishes that day and I went for the pasta dish which was good (I think the other dish was a burger). The staff was very friendly as well. Just a pity it's not a veg-only place...

Pros: great atmosphere, good food
Cons: serves meat

elllllle
elllllle

Loved it!

4 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2013

Relatively easy to find, just north of Norreport. Very busy, really cool atmosphere, trendy. They have a menu in English if you ask at the bar. I had cider and the Las Vegan Burger, it was delicious! I would definitely recommend it. I didn't look through the menu much as I felt I had to hurry to order or I'd miss out on a seat, so I can't say what was on the rest of the menu. Loved the decor. Staff could have been more helpful but they were flat out so I understood.

Pros: Excellent food, Nice vibe.
Cons: Very busy.
Littlething
Littlething

Tasty but pricey

3 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2013

I (vegan) and my meat-eating boyfriend ate here while vacationing in Copenhagen. We both had the Pasta Reykjavik, I the vegan version with fennel and he the one with salmon. We both thought the food tasted good. Although I didn't really think it was that amazing and considering my meal cost about 100 DKK (about $ 18) I didn't really think it was that price worthy.

Although there weren't that many vegan options, the ones they had were clearly stated on the menu.

The place was quite crowded when we got there but it seemed like a cozy place. It's not really a restaurant but rather a pub, but still a pleasant place with outdoor seating.

All in all I thought the food was good, although a bit expensive, but considering the lack of good vegan dinner in Copenhagen it's one of the better places I visited during my 5-day stay.

Pros: Clearly marked menu, centrally located, friendly staff, outdoor seating
Cons: A bit pricey
Sarask
Sarask

Great place

4 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2013

I got a really nice vegan brunch at Kalaset. We had to wait half an hour for it, but it was really worth to wait for. Great hummus, fresh fruit, tasty lentil stew and phenomenal falafles. It is a very cosy cafe with great music and nice people. I will defineatly come back another time.

Pros: Great food, Cosy, organic
Cons: A little pricey, had to wait a long time
JonTurner2000
JonTurner2000

Kalaset - You Wont Regret

4 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2012

Not a huge choice for veggies/vegans, but I had the vegan burger which was really tasty and a good sized dish. Loved the atmosphere of this bar/restaurant with lots of vintage hi-fi equipment on the walls. We had to wait about 15 minutes for a free table on Friday evening, but it was well worth it.
Would definitely go back. If lived nearby then I'm sure we'd be there all the time!

Pros: Tasty, Great informal atmosphere, Overall enjoyment
Cons: Limited Choice, Hard to get table at busiest times?
jcberger
jcberger

Good brunch but a little pricey

4 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2012

The brunch at Kalaset was very good if not a little expensive (especially if you're used to dollars!) The atmosphere is cosy and the staff is friendly. The food was fresh and I enjoyed the homemade spreads (jams, vegan "nutella") and museli. I appreciated that they had vegan yogurt as well. It's too bad that the place isn't entirely vegan and that they don't serve vegan pancakes!

Pros: fresh food, homemade spreads, cosy atmosphere
Cons: pricey
Aya
Aya

Nice but not even vegetarian

4 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2012

Kalaset is really nice, with a nice vibe and nice interior. It would be perfect if it was vegan. Unfortunately, it isn't.
Sometimes it gets very crowded, as it's a very popular place.

On numerous occasions I had coffee there (they make very good soya latte), but I've eaten there just once - I had a vegan brunch (100DKK) that was quite nice (but not the best vegan brunch I have ever had).

It's highly recommended, even if all you want is coffee or tea.

Pros: Very nice interior, Nice vibe, Easy to find
Cons: Expensive, Lots of meat dishes
Lissa
Lissa
  • fruititarian

Amazing vegan falafel burger

4 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2011

My husband and I both had the vegan falafel burger (includes veggies & small salad), which was really good. It was a good portion size, too. The place is beautiful and has a nice atmosphere. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They have an English menu, too. I would certainly go there again next time I visit Copenhagen!

Pros: vegan falafel burger, nice atmosphere, very friendly staff
celeste
celeste

Cute café and wonderful food

4 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2011

I love eating at this place! Their vegan food is really well made and hearty,even if the cost is a little high (well,maybe not so high for Denmark). I highly recommend this place especially when dining in mixed company as it has something for everyone. This was the first place,in Copenhagen,I found soy milk chai lattes. For foreigners,you should know that you order at the bar and pay immediately.

Pros: wonderful vegan meals, healthy, good size portions
Cons: a little bit expensive, trendy so it can be crowded, can be noisy
papercutexit
papercutexit

Great place!

4 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2010

I visited Kalaset to grab some food after a long day at the national gallery. There's several tables outside and the inside looks really nice, bright colours, vintage furniture and stereos on the walls. We ordered a vegan falafel burger and a vegetarian goats cheese sandwich, which were both very tasty and generously sized. When the food arrived, I had to grab my camera and take some pictures first - the presentation was amazing, like little pieces of art!

They don't have many mains to choose from (3 sandwiches, 3 burgers, 3 pasta dishes, and only one veggie option each) , but we were more than happy with the selection. The staff was busy, but very friendly and spoke perfect English. I'd definitely come back to try out the vegan brunch :)

Pros: good food, great presentation, friendly staff
Cons: few vegetarian / vegan options
Scottish Clare
Scottish Clare

Great vegan brunch

4 Posted on 04 / 25 / 2010

Visited in Jan 2010. A few vegan options available and clearly marked on the menu. I went for the vegan breakfast/brunch option and it was great - a huge plateful (including a small smoothie) for a reasonable price for Copenhagen. I thought there was a really cool vibe and I liked the decor! Would definitely recommend visiting here if you're veggie or vegan.

piffelina
piffelina

great brunch!

4 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2010

place was a little hard for us to find, although it shouldn't have been. really close to nørreport station!

we were there at saturday around noon and the place was cramped, so we had to wait for a bit, but that was okay. we got brunch (99 dkk seemed like an ok price for copenhagen), which was really nice! beautifully presented and very tasty too. appeared to be a little too little food on the plate, but were really full when we finished. delicious!

very cute interior with a homey feel to it.

Pros: great food, good portions, good area
Cons: too many people so we had to wait a bit
Care+Adam
Care+Adam

Lunch, Day 2

4 Posted on 04 / 17 / 2010

We actually hadn't eaten much of anything since Estin about 24 hours earlier, and Care was a little cranky. Adam had stayed across the street from this place a year ago, and remembered the veggie burger, and was hoping it would nudge her back to life a bit. Best meal so far in Scandinavia -- vegan burger, vegan tofu scramble, soy chai latte and a big beer (for the cranky one). Great decor. As for service -- well, you order at a bar and eat when they bring you your food. It didn't take terribly long for us, and it was hot and fresh when we got it. Guys behind the bar were totally nice. It's a hipster joint, so there's a little attitude, but Care lends Adam some credibility in this area, so we were fine. (Only reason it doesn't get 5 cows is it's not totally vegetarian -- but the vegan scramble and burger deserve it).

bencamps
bencamps

Yummy Burger

4 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2010

Visited on 02.01.10. My girlfriend and I both had the vegan burger which was a huge falafel burger with lots of salad, vegan herbie mayo and cooked veggies. Really nice, also on the menu was a vegan breakfast that sounded amazing. Nice chilled place with radios and amps attached to the walls, even in the toilets, cool.

Pros: Great food, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Not too much choice
MissRaili
MissRaili

Love it.

4 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2009

I love this place & I go there quite often. The decoration inside is 50's kitch & different. The atmosphere is relaxed & the service is friendly and always with a smile. The great thing here is that there is food for both meat eaters, vegetarians & vegans - which is nice, if you are going out with vegetarians or meateaters.

They have several dishes that are either vegetarian or vegan. Most of it is organic & the prices are quite fair.

I especially love their vegan brunch - with hummus, pumpkintapenade, tomato relish, olivetapenade, fried veggies, scrambled tofu, potatoes spiced with herbs, energy smootie, 2 kinds of bread & fresh fruit & salat. It is really hard to find vegan brunch in CPH, I should now I live here, and this one is actually really good as well :-)

Other lovely dishes; veg burger & hummus plate.

Only negative thing I have to say is that it would be nice with even more vegan options then they already have; but then again; they have more then most places.

BTW--> I saw one of the other reviews before mine, that people 'must be sitting outside because of the interieur', during summer people always always sit outside in CPH, doesn't matter where it is- we like to enjoy the good weather, the short time it is there. Kalaset is always full; inside or outside, summer or winter.

Pros: great food, vegan dishes, friendly service
Cons: always a lot of people
rockcita
rockcita

great veggie burger not so great interior

4 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2009

Kalaset is an easy to find restaurant within walking distance of the Metro. The interior has a hippie feel to it which is probably why most people chose to dine outside. I had to literally step over two spaced-out looking guys who were sprawled across the steps drinking beer and smoking to get inside. However, the veggie burger was the best I've ever had. Portions were sizable and the accompanying vegetables were very fresh. Each pitcher of self-serve water had a different kind of sliced fruit or veggie in it, which made for a refreshing cup of water. The staff was friendly and spoke excellent English. The ladies room was a bit strange...no doors on the stalls, just a curtain. Unless your nostalgic for the 60's, I suggest you grab a table outside.

Pros: heavenly veggie burger, friendly English speaking staff, easy to find
Cons: a throwback to the 60's