Texas vegetarian restaurant adjacent to a Hare Krishna temple. Daily buffet of bread, soups, main entrees includes vegan dishes. Inexpensive for lunch, moderate for dinner. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Buffet, Salad bar, Indian
5430 Gurley Ave (I-30 and E Grand)
Dallas, Texas 75223
214-821-1048

Open Tue-Fri 11:30am-2pm, 5:30-9pm, Sat-Sun 12-3pm, 5:30-9pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by crunchygramz08
texbambam
texbambam

holy cow this is good!

3 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2013

Wow I ate there for the first time and it is amazing, nothing fancy but there is a calming vibe and super healthy food. If you are vegan just ask for vegan options. Great experience.

Pros: nice staf, great food, different
Cons: parking
bruble
bruble
  • raw

Amazing!

5 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2013

Absolutely wonderful flavors! I tried everything that was vegan and each thing was better than the last! What a fabulous find!

Pros: great ambiance , great food
Carrie C. Reid
Carrie C. Reid

Great Place

5 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2013

I love this restaurant. The staff are so kind, the atmosphere is top notch in the vegetarian world. They change the menu plenty, and have a great selection of hot and cold items. There are lots of vegan options, and will tell you which ones they are. The restaurant prides itself on using simple ingredients to make amazing meals. It does not disappoint.

Pros: Atmosphere, Staff , Giving back to community

HappyHerbivoreJunkie
HappyHerbivoreJunkie

Allergy Friendly

5 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2012

Kalachandji's vegetarian buffet is very allergy friendly and vegan friendly! They have a very large green salad bar, fresh whole fruit, steamed brown rice, steamed vegetables, steamed greens, a vegetable or lentil soup, and several savory Indian dishes.

I am a vegan and I am allergic to soy, oats, beans, lentils, and gluten. I may not be able to eat everything at their buffet but I can certainly find enough to fill me up.

The wait staff has always been very polite and friendly. The waitress told me that on Friday or Saturday they have almost all vegan foods. I love this place! I have eaten here 13 times!

Pros: healthy, whole foods, allergy-friendly
Sayarma
Sayarma

Then and now

4 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2011

I ate lunch at Kalachandji's recently after a 25+ year gap. I first ate there in the early 80s - the food at that time wasn't that good, but the atmosphere was great. On my recent trip I found the lunch buffet just OK, though one of the hot entrees (some kind of western dish) was old and not at all tasty. The best part of my meal was the dessert (suji halwa) - incredibly good; not vegan.

One of the 'pros' for eating at a Hare Krishna temple/restaurant is that they are known to be extremely clean/ hygienic (a big plus in certain countries).
The thing about Kalachandji's is that it is not authentic Indian food - it is adapted for American tastes. If you are expecting the real deal, go elsewhere. But for a different Dallas vibe, that's totally vegetarian with no worries about ingredients - this is the place.

Pros: Cleanliness, 100% vegetarian, atmosphere
Cons: lacking in taste, not authentic Indian taste
RAF
RAF

Wonderful Place

5 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2011

We *love* Kalachandji's. I think their lentil soup is the BEST in the world! I asked last time we were there if they'd share the recipe. They were happy to. It sounded involved and complicated, which explains why it's so yummy and worth going. I'm always so satisfied when I leave there, not only b/c of what I've eaten there, but also for the feeling that I'm continuing my compassion... for animals and our planet.

Pros: Excellent Food, Healthful Cuisine, Serene atmosphere
lonevegan
lonevegan

Very Nice Place

4 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2010

The day I went, they didn't have any vegan entree options but everything they did have was wonderful. The atmosphere is serene. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Pros: good value, friendly staff
harekrishna
harekrishna

Transcendental experience

5 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2009

I can't express the greatness of this place in words. I was there past Thanksgiving and the lunch there was simply superb. After a long wait, we got to sit and enjoy the meal. Every item on the menu was perfect.

Guest
Guest

Just so simple and good.

5 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2009

Once a week I eat at Kalachandji's if I'm lucky. Most of it is vegan with usually only 1 hot selection being vegetarian. The food is made from simple ingredients yet taste soooo good.
Vegetables, salad, and toppers. The special tea is exceptionally yummy, made with tamarind. The staff, usually the same person for us is so sweet and always smiling and soft spoken. The place makes you feel good too. I can't say I have ever had even a slightly bad meal because they have certain foods available everyday. Like the vegetables with tahini sauce. THey alternate only a little and therefore have little error, and since the dishes are simply made you don't get tired of them. This is by far the best vegetarian restaurant in the Dallas area.

Pros: tasty food, price, feels nice
Cons: the drive
AlkalineAndRaw
AlkalineAndRaw

Best in Dallas

5 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2009

I love their salad bar! Which is unusual for a Krishna restaurant. Normally I go to a Krishna place for the Indian food which is also good here but I rarely have room for much after grazing the salad bar. I Love eating out in the garden and staff and service is wonderful. Price is extremely reasonable. The only down side is that they might still be using Canola oil for some frying and cooking and Canola oil is GMO poison. You might ask them if they have switched to ghee or coconut oil instead.

Pros: Great food, Great service, Great price
AliVegan
AliVegan

Beautiful atmosphere and wonderful food!

5 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2008

There's nothing like eating out in the veranda at Kalachandji's. It's absolutely beautiful... and heated in the winter! The food is wonderful. The temple is stunning. The people are amazing. The only problem... vegan dessert isn't offered all the time!

Pros: atmosphere, delicious food, friendly staff
Cons: vegan dessert isn't always available
grahamcracker
grahamcracker

excellent!

5 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2008

I am big on the vibe of a restaurant. And Kalachandji's has it!! The energy in this restaurant is simply beautiful. The tamarind tea is delightful! They have this exquisite gift shop with the cutest earrings. And I haven't even touched on the food yet. =) The salad bar is INSANE! Great variety, and there is NOTHING (vegan of course) that I wouldn't eat with great gusto! Seriously, it's just the whole package. You can't ask for more!

Pros: great staff, health cuisine, great value
Cons: NOTHING!!
loranac
loranac

Excellent, Peaceful Lunch Retreat

5 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2008

Not only is the food fresh, homemade, and delicious everytime, but the atmosphere is a refuge away from the bustling city..even if it's only for an hour. They have the best salad dressing in the world too! The price is great as well.

Pros: All you can eat, Heathly, Peaceful
Cons: Location, Closed Monday
Drpepper
Drpepper

Great food, Good prices, Superb service !!

5 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2008

I wrote a lengthy detailed review prior to this one but somehow the website decided not to post it.

Just in nutshell. Great place for lunch and dinner. Good blend of spices. Great deserts. Tofu sticks and BBQ tofu are the best items. Friendly to vegans and vegetarians. Awesome salad and dressings. Good people.

Pros: variety, balance, price
SarahE
SarahE

Great for vegans

5 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2007

Really nice entree options, fantastic fresh bread, and a great salad bar with good vegan dressing.

Pros: salad bar, dal, friendly
Cons: few vegan desserts, few drink options
crunchygramz08
crunchygramz08

What about Kalachandjis???

3 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2007

Kalachandji's is only okay if you like indian food. Since I am not big on indian food I dont fancy kalachandji's nearly as much as I do cosmic cafe. This is also NOT a good place to bring children or finiky eaters. However, you are able to get a good feel for a low price.

Pros: Great Pricing., Atmosphere., Culture.
Cons: Terrible deserts., Food is sub par.

Dear Owner and Manager of Kalachandji's: