Reported to HappyCow in Nov 2010 to be 100% vegan. Very small vegan restaurant in St. Kitts. Menu includes breakfast tofu scramble, banana pancakes, soup, salads, drinks made from local fruit, veggie burger, vegan pizza (cheese is made using cashews and nutritional yeast), roti, lasagna, bbq tofu kebabs, veggie stir fry, stewed TVP. Desserts include apple pie, pecan pie, coconut tart. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Caribbean, Western

First Review by fabfour

I would go there again ... and again ... and again

4 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2012

Friendly folks serving good food. Not one dish we sampled were we displeased with. Our group had roti, veggie burger and fries, roti platter, falafel platter. We also had some home made drinks, soursop and passion fruit. My only complaint would be that I was not hungrier and that I did not have the time to go back and get more before our ship left. The owners were gracious enough to have a photo with me. I love eating places where they have a local following. This place had locals eating in and calling in their orders. Sad to say the owner was speaking of coming to North America. Only sad because it means that when we go back to the island we will not have the pleasure of eating in this establishment again. Please do give it a try if they are still there and you are on the island of St. Kitt's.

Pros: good food, reasonably priced, friendly folks

Thoroughly enjoyed Kalabash!

5 Posted on 11 / 15 / 2011

I was in St. Kitts last week but didn't make it Kalabash until the day before we left. If I had gone earlier in the trip I probably would have eatn there every day! For starters we had the lentil cakes which were delicious. My Dad's not really into a lot of veggie meals but he loved it too. I had the dish with the veggies in peanut sauce (Mali something) which was very tasty. Daddy played it safe with the stir fry veggies. We also had garlic bread which was made with fresh garlic and a delicious crispy wheat bread. Then Dad spotted the pineapple upside down cake. He LOVED it so much he ordered a second one. He said it was the best dessert he'd had since we had been in St. Kitts. To drink we had blackberry juice. The following day we returned for veggie burgers, which consist of sautéed tofu with cooked onions and wonderful seasoning on whole wheat rolls. I had the sour orange drink which was so refreshing I picked up another one later. Very good. I pre ordered a variety of cakes which we picked up on the way to the airport. Of course my Dad had another one (BTW, he had no idea they were vegan). My only critique is that the hours are not set and they didn't serve breakfast. I understand that's because business is slow right now, but we were looking forward to breakfast. Overall, I highly recommend Kalabash for anyone looking for fresh cooked vegetarian food. but get there soon because the owner told me he's closing shop for good in the Spring:-(

Pros: Fresh, delicious food, Creative dishes, Healthy portions
Cons: No set hours, Not everything available on the menu

Pleasing to the Palate!

5 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2010

i went to Kalabash on the first day i arrived in St. Kitts. I was greeted by a beautiful smile and inviting atmosphere. If you love history, culture, Bob Marley, etc...this environment will surely please you. Kalabash further enticed my senses with a glass of delicious Sorrel. I was unsure of what to order, so the friendly young lady at the counter explained the dishes that i questioned. I decided on the Veggie n tofu Stir Fry and Lentil Cake. Both were MOUTH-watering! The flavors were so delicious that i ended up mixing them together!! And the owner came out to have me sample his vegan oatmeal raisin cookie, which was absolutely delicious! I took a piece of the vegan pineapple upside down cake to go and devoured it once i made it back to my room!! Overall, the experience pleased my sense of sight, smell, hearing, and definitely taste!! I can't wait to touch the road again because i will surely be heading back there for more of my meals!!

Pros: environment friendly, prices are reasonable, excellent tasting food!
Cons: none, none, none!
Guest
Guest

Crazy about Kalabach

4 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2010

Originally, founded by the Rastafarian locals, the walls are covered with the history of their believes and really awesome to look at! Being a student here, I have the joy of going whenever I stroll though downtown Basseterre. I highly recommend stopping in and try great vegan food with a Caribbean twist.

Delicious

5 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2008

The dishes are meant to please and it's a fun place to hang out. Kamau's kamau cakes are a fantastic appetizer that compliments any of the dishes. The BBQ tofu kebabs are a must, and we devoured the cashew-cheese pizza slices. A side note: apparently he doesn't open 'til 9.

Pros: excellent food, good value, centrally located
Cons: hours may vary

Dear Owner and Manager of Kalabash: