Makes Shojin cuisine, a Japanese vegetarian kaiseki, which originates in the zen monks' diet. Traditional Japanese decor interior. Reservations may be required (call ahead). Previously at 9th St. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan, Gourmet, Japanese

First Review by Jackie1965
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

only thing impressive was the bill

2 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2014

We went here for a fancy dinner a few months ago, and, out of everything we sampled on the tasting menu, we weren't very excited by any of it.

For such an expensive meal, I want to like the food a lot more than this.

Pros: all vegan
Cons: whole paycheck for mediocre food
OToe
OToe

Delightful Meal

5 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2014

We were thrilled with our dining experience at Kajitsu. The food was awesome...the starting course called Milky Way was an intriguing blend of jelly and apples along with a hint of scallions. The courses that followed offered delightful blends of flavors and textures.

Pros: Flavors, Tastes, Ambiance
Cons: Cost
rach
rach

Amazing degustation meal with matching sake

5 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2014

This place is pretty unique - a traditional Japanese, vegan, 8 course degustation meal with matching sake. Some of the dishes were amazing, the celery root soup was great and there was another dish with seasonal vegetables with flavones so intense it was amazing.

The price tag comes with it - our meal for the 2 of us was over $300.

The lotus rice porridge was the only disappoint dish of the 8, perhaps too Japanese traditional for my taste.

The decor is very sparse but intentionally so I believe. The service was amazing.

Pros: Amazing flavors, A unique one of a kind experience , Attention to detail in the dishes
Cons: Very expensive, Not sure the decor worked for me

KenLinda
KenLinda

kokage by kajitsu

3 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2014

Beautiful dish sautéed vegetables served over rice along with a light soup. The service and the ambience were beautiful along with delightfully light food. And a small dessert with berries was extraordinarily delicate. I loved every morsel.

Pros: just a beautiful relaxing experience, I would return in a heartbeat
Ajolote
Ajolote

I have found the best restaurant in New York!

5 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2014

From the moment we arrived We were treated like royalty. It was not intimidating, but very inviting and friendly. We made reservations to seat at the chef's table, which was a fantastic experience; We got to see how the food was very carefully put together piece by Beautiful piece.
They have a sake and tea menu that the staff was happy to talk to us about and we ended up ordering one sake and one tea. Both of them were delicious and paired well with our food. Now, The food, how can I describe it? It was beautiful, it was delicious, and it was unusual. It was also very Japanese. There were two menus to choose from; one had eight courses and the other one had six, I think. We went four the eight courses (Hana menu). I recognized most of the ingredients, but some of them were unknown to me. Everything was presented beautifully and it was amazingly delicious. They explained to us that most of the ingredients are made right there at the restaurant, including the yuba.
All the dishes were small, so we were not stuffed, but we were not hungry either. All in all, it took three hours to get through our meal.
Everything had to be perfect. So much so that I one point, after I came back from a bathroom break, The waiter informed me that the soup was ready while I was away, but it had to be thrown away and prepared fresh so that I would get it at the perfect temperature. Crazy! Also, when I came back, my napkin had been folded in a neat triangle.
Yes, it is pricey, but go celebrate a special occasion with them. You will not regret it!

Pros: taste, presentation, ambiance
Cons: none
steveveg
steveveg

An exceptional experience

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2014

Kajitsu was a unique and exceptional experience. The menu is prix fixe and changed monthly. We had both the Kaze (4 courses) and Hana (8 courses). There was also a seasonal menu that looked very attractive - it added a sizzled rice and a tempura, but the entire table had to choose it. The meal presented a wide variety of flavors, ingredients and textures. The presentation was exquisite. Each course was described by the server. Service was excellent. The ambiance was artistic and relaxing. The restaurant is very attentive to the fine details. Bags and purses are placed in neat canvas carriers by the table. The room is pleasantly quiet. Unfortunately they can't totally accommodate gluten free. In all, this was a very special restaurant.

Astonangel
Astonangel

Amazingly satisfying

5 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2013

We had the seasonal summer menu. The food may have been small portions but we were full by the last but one course. So satisfying to the taste buds and such a variety of tastes. Worth every cent. And more! Will definitely go back!

Pros: Excellent food, Pleasing atmosphere, Excellent service
Cons: Small exclusive seating
sglcklch
sglcklch

A meal to remember!

5 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2013

All vegan, Japanese, one Michelin starred (down from two), Kajitsu was automatically a must visit. I'd been dying to try it out, but we weren't able to get a reservation in the past few trips to NYC. This time we lucked out and secured two seats at the counter. I knew it would be a great experience, but I have to admit it exceeded my expectations - it was out of this world!

Both of us ordered the 8-course Hana set. Japanese cuisine typically does not rely on spices or heavy seasoning to develop the flavor profile, which could be why the menu might look somewhat simple on paper. But in reality, every dish were very carefully constructed and exquisitely presented. Throughout our meal, we were constantly bedazzled by the clean but deep flavors that came through. Even I, as a fast eater, couldn't help but slow down so as to savor every single bite.

Some might find that it was too quiet (no background music) or that the decor was too dull (it was pretty much tables and walls), but it was exactly this calm, serene atmosphere, and the simple, minimalistic decor that I enjoyed so much. I also recommend sitting at the chef's counter, especially for first-timers, where you will be able to see your food being prepared. It was enthralling just how meticulous the chef was.

True, it was a bit of a splurge, but I thought it was well justified.

Pros: excellent food, atmosphere & décor
estefinparis
estefinparis

An escape to Japan

5 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2011

Having returned from Japan a couple of weeks ago and with a new found love for the country, I jumped at the opportunity to visit a kaiseki in NYC.

Kajitsu is a marvelous culinary experience, an opportunity to travel to Japan through their food, drinks and excellent service. The atmosphere is elegant, minimalistic, allowing guests to focus fully on the incredible creations by Kajitsu's chef. We had the 8 course Hana and were delighted with every dish presented to us, prepared by the chef in front of our eyes (we were sitting at the chef's counter) and explained in detail by the attentive staff. A Japanese couple was also sitting at the counter and had the opportunity to receive the explanations from the chef himself.

Kajitsu serves traditional Shojin cuisine and I think the experience may be more enjoyable if you check their website first to see the menu and understand what will be served - they obviously use the Japanese terminology to refer to the different items.

Kajitsu is also a 2 Michelin star restaurant. This is the place to go for a unique occasion, it is an absolute treat.

Lanky
Lanky

Amazing

5 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2011

Kajitsu was the highlight of our culinary experiences in NYC, by far.
The service and decor were impeccable. The only thing we might suggest would be some light music (there is no music at all, and so its a little quiet in there).
We went to Pure Food and Wine a few days ago, and spent $140 (without tip); we left less than satisfied. At Kajitsu we spent $200, and were stoked. We could happily go back there.

Pros: Presentation, Sevice, Culinary Delight
jjmfp
jjmfp

Kajitsu is a vegan must visit!

5 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2009

As a long time vegan who travels for a living, I make it a point to go to vegan as well as haute cuisine restaurants all around the world, no matter the cuisine or cost. This includes an experience at an authentic vegan shojin restaurant in a Zen Buddhist monastery in Kyoto.

Having spent most of my time in New York I've frequented practically every vegan / veggie restaurant in New York City including Candle 79, Hangawi, Counter, Dirt Candy, Pure Food and Wine, etc. I make it a point to also dine at high end restaurants that accommodate vegans including Per Se, Nobu, Craft, Charlie Trotter's and Alinea (in Chicago).

I've been to Kajitsu three times in as many months and have had the pleasure of experiencing their last three menus which change monthly to feature seasonal elements. Kajitsu combines high-end dining with truly unique authentic ethnic cuisine. The dining experience is exquisite with impressively informed and passionate servers and a tranquil and thoughtfully designed setting (including many antique place settings and furniture). It's worth noting that, as the Kajitsu website indicates, shojin cuisine is considered the foundation of all Japanese cuisine, including kaiseki (which is derived from shojin), and has always been a vegan cuisine.

The menu, as pointed out by other reviews, is prix fixe at a $50 or $70 level and I've always gotten the 8 course meal as it really is the better deal and experience. Neither I, or the more than 20 people (vegan, veg, and none) that have accompanied me, have ever left less than satisfied or hungry.

The sake selections are great and the seasonal frozen sake is a treat in the summer months (the spoon that it's served with has a 1000 year old glass bead hanging from it!) The Nama Fu (something I've never had before in the US) comes from a multi-generational owned family shop in Japan and is a wonderful replacement for the typical seitan / tofu / tempeh ingredients.

At this price range it's certainly a special occasion destination and definitely worth visiting each month to explore the new menu. Every dish is impeccably executed with flawless technique, masterful flavor pairing, and inspiring presentation. Each plate was a joy!

I look forward to our new monthly tradition of visiting Kajitsu.

For pictures and a thorough review of my first visit to Kajitsu, please visit my partner's posting here: http://lagusta.wordpress.com/2009/06/05/your-new-favorite-nyc-restaurant-kajitsu/

Pros: Quality Sake!, Calming transportative experience!, Incredibly creative for vegans!
Cons: Once a month visit, not daily.
Jackie1965
Jackie1965

Shojin Cuisine? It's perfect vegan.

5 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2009

I am Japanese, but I totally forgot about Shojin Cuisine. It's a vegan cuisine that Buddhist monks have practiced for many centuries. Until I discovered Kajitsu, being a vegetarian though, I totally forgot about its existence.

Buddhist monks are not allowed to consume any animal protein so that Shojin Cuisine is absolutely vegan. Kajitsu, though not a Buddhist restaurant, has a modern approach to the ancient practice by using American produce and kaiseki style presentation. The result is that the food is much better than traditional Shojin Cuisine.

Kajitsu is for someone who is vegetarian/vegan and looking for nice decor, high-end food, and high-end service for special occasions. The price tags are of course high. They offer only 2 pre fixe dinners: $50 and $70. Of course, it's not something you would visit every week, but for something special, this will work perfect.

Pros: High quality vegan, beautiful presentation, friendly staff
Cons: no a la carte
  • kindlizard kindlizard

loved your review. i checked out their site and it seems that not only is it very expensive, which is fine in nyc, but it doesn't seem to give much food for the cost. did you find that at least the portions were large?

• Jackie1965 Jackie1965

I was totally full at the end. There were so many dishes that you may not even finish the whole meal....

Dear Owner and Manager of Kajitsu: