Jyun Kang Vegetarian...

Jyun Kang Vegetarian Restaurant is located within the City of Ten Thousand Buddhas. The goal is to serve healthful nutritious food full of the good karma of non-harming. Some ingredients come from the temple's organic farm. Complimentary tea served. Open to the public. Price: Inexpensive more-less
2001 Talmage Rd (City of Ten Thousand Buddhas)
Ukiah, California 95481
707-468-7966

Open Wed-Mon 11:30pm-3pm, closed Tues.

• Cash only

First Review by sean_r
annice
annice

Good food, slow service

4 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2013

We passed through Ukiah on our way north and stopped here for lunch. Portions were large and the food was tasty, but it took quite a while to get it. The atmosphere was more like a lunchroom than a restaurant. However, we enjoyed walking around the "City of Ten Thousand Buddhas" and would eat here again.

Pros: large portions, tasty food
Cons: slow service, lunchroom atmosphere
triley
triley

Excellent!

5 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2011

Yesterday, my wife and I, along with our adult daughter and her boyfriend, ate at JyunKang Vegetarian Restaurant. I can't remember the names of all the dishes we had, didn't even try to, because each one was excellent. We arrived at 11:30 on a Friday (their new open time)and there was only one other couple present at the time. It did get busier after 12:00. The staff was friendly and helpful. We ordered 1 large entree and 3 small entrees, a serving of rice and a large bowl of soup. Every dish was absolutely delicious and it came out just right with no left-overs.

They have large round tables that seat six and small tables seating 4. If you sit at a large round, there's a lazy susan in the middle making serving easy.

We look forward to returning to JyunKang many more times.

Pros: excellent food , good prices, helpful/friendly staff
joannab
joannab

So good!

5 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2010

This place is really great. I've been a few times with friends (it's one of the few places that, as a vegetarian, I can share dishes) and again by myself. When I went alone, I started with the "small" bowl of miso soup with tofu. It was delicious and by the time I was done, I was too full to eat my noodle dish and took it home for dinner.

The only downside I would say is that it does take awhile to get your food, but you have to remember that the people working there are volunteers. They're all really friendly and it's cash only, so be prepared.

nonyabusnus
nonyabusnus

Amazing, Great Idea to try

5 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2010

This place is super tasty, good prices, & located within a buddhist temple. completely vegan & staff is very clean. open from noon to 3pm only, & make sure to check out the 10,000 Buddhas hall while there : )

Pros: taste, clean, ambiance
Cons: hours
ptvegan
ptvegan

nice place

5 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2010

I've been going here for 10 years. I highly recommend it because the food is delicious. For gluten-free diets, you have to watch out for the dishes with seitan or gluten, and the barley tea. The restaurant may be hard to find at first and the peacocks can sound like shrieking ladies.

Pros: all vegan, excellent food, peacocks
Cons: busy, small, closed Tuesday

Kumquat
Kumquat

Wonderful food, great price

5 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2010

If you're passing through Ukiah at lunchtime, this is the place to stop. The only thing that I was surprised by - The City of Ten Thousand Buddhas has gender-specific areas, so don't go wandering around the grounds. If you check in at the visitor's reception area they will give you a map. In the short time we were there we saw a group of chanting monks, a group of businessmen, and several people who appeared to belong to a motorcycle gang. When we arrived the place was packed, so we shared a table with some other people. One man told us he would never normally eat meals without meat but he loves this place so much he comes at least once each week. You know when you have a crowd this diverse something good is going on.

Service wasn't super speedy but everyone was very friendly. It helps to remember they are all volunteers. Our food was excellent and cheap. We'll definitely stop in the next time we pass through and bring our own to-go containers (which are encouraged to reduce waste, but not required).

Pros: Good value, Excellent food, Friendly staff
Cons: Small, Open limited hours
jjram1
jjram1

Barely OK

2 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2010

At lunch a few days ago, the quality of Jyun Kang's food varied from fairly tasty (my seasonal vegetables with curry plus brown rice) to mediocre (my wife's curried noodle soup). Ambience left a lot to be desired -- it's just a big room with tables and chairs, and since there's nothing to deaden the sound it's noisy when it's crowded . . which it was, probably because it was Chinese New Year's Eve. Service also left an awful lot to be desired -- the waitress was very pleasant, but it took more than 30 minutes to be served. All-in-all, not recommended.

Pros: Food can be good, Reasonably priced
Cons: Noisy if crowded, Service is poor
sean_r
sean_r

Ukiah's only vegan restaurant

5 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2010

Vegans, it's as good as it gets in this town. How nice it is to eat a great meal, no questions asked. Large selection of Asian vegan dishes. Takes some planning though: only open 12-3 Wed through Mon (ie closed Tues) and CASH ONLY. All volunteer staff so don't give them a hard time if the service is slow that day.

Pros: VEGAN! Inside and out., Great food, good vibes
Cons: limited hours, cash only
Guest
Guest

Wonderful

5 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2007

I have eaten at Jun Kang (However you wish to spell it) many times, and the food is delicious. The facilities are very clean, and some of the ingredients of the food come from the temple's own organic farm. I highly recommend the sweet and sour balls, as well as the seaweed roll (don't remember the exact name, but it really isn't much seaweed, but a roll of like gluten/tofu stuff in this DELICIOUS DELICIOUS sauce...trust me!) If you want something to go, buy a bag of frozen black sesame buns, or if you are lucky, end up there on a day where they have just baked them. Then, you can buy them individually and just out of the oven. Also, they serve you free yummy barley tea. Kind service. Book case with books and magazines. Peaceful atmosphere. They only take cash, so don't expect to use your debit card or check.

Dear Owner and Manager of Jyun Kang Vegetarian Restaurant: