Serves meat, veg options available. While there are the typical meat dishes, the waitstaff speak English and will identify which dishes can be modified for vegans. Kitchen will provide alternatives in set courses (e.g. papadums instead of dairy based dessert). Heaters and some blankets provided in winter. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
Minami 2 West, 4-4 1st floor, Chuo-ku (/in Nakamise)
Sapporo, Japan
011-233-3999
Now Open

Mon-Sun 11:30am-11:00pm

First Review by Samoth
MicalLex
MicalLex

Great service and nice food!

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2015

We visited Jyoti today, because it is near our hotel and we read about it on Happy Cow. The staff was really helpful, english-speaking and friendly. They asked if we were vegans and although we said that we are only vegetarians they checked if some ingredients (e.g. eggs) were ok for us. You can choose how spicy you want the food to be, the waiter pointed out, that "mild" in Japan means a little sweet, so I choose the medium curry, which was great. We also got a free dessert.
In contrary to some other reviews, I don´t think it was expensive. We paid 2800¥ for two Curries, rice, nan and two mango juice - I often paid more for worse food.

I would give five cows, but for non-vegetarian restaurants only four are possible :).

Pros: Service, tasty food, great location
JesseD
JesseD

No longer the must-visit it was

Posted on 02 / 08 / 2014

I wrote an excellent review for Jyoti a year ago, when was one of the few places in Sapporo (on Happycow) one could find a trustworthy vegan meal. But this time I was quite disappointed. Only one dish (dahl) could be made vegan (or at least the owner only suggested one), and since the set meal came with Naan (and it didn't seem to be possible to change it) a reasonable dahl, a Lacha Paratha (bread), two samosas (with ketchup) and 'Spicy Potatoes' (basically a potato curry, made from about one potato) came to ~2000 Yen. The staff clearly understand veganism, and for Japan it's not a bad deal - in many parts of Japan a meal like this is a life-saver - but with so many new vegan restaurants on the scene and such a limited vegan range here now it's just not the must-visit it used to be. I'd strongly recommend making the effort to go and find the new vegan places, and giving them your custom instead. It was also very cold in the restaurant, unless you're lucky enough to get a table by the heater.

Pros: central location, staff understand veganism
Cons: limited vegan range, no vegan set so expensive for a meal
ItalianChick
ItalianChick

Great place for vegans in Sapporo.

Posted on 12 / 21 / 2013

Jyoti serves traditional Indian food, with various vegetarian dishes. The people at Jyoti are well aware about veganism and can veganize the vegetarian dishes.

After we ate our main courses the restaurant served us free dessert (yoghurt), the waitress remembered that I was vegan and served a vegan option instead.
Although people write that the food is expensive, I don´t think so. The service is very good, and it´s safe for vegans to enjoy the meal. This is a good restaurant to bring non-vegans as well. I will go back soon.

Pros: Good service, Vegan food!, Price
Cons: Unconfortable chairs, Cold by the window (in winter time)

Samoth
Samoth

a good indian restaurant

Posted on 03 / 25 / 2012

We went there on the evening and had the vegetable curry set: 1500 yen for 2 curries, a large nan, one soft drink, a small appetizer (salad and samossa) and a small dessert. It is not very cheap but worth the price.

Pros: good food, pleasant atmosphere
Cons: rice has to be ordered as extra

Dear Owner and Manager of Jyoti: