Veggie cafe operated by students of Sri Chinmoy since 1986. Menu features wraps, sandwiches, main entrees. Closed August month. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Take-out
3351 Adams Ave (Normal Heights)
San Diego, California 92116
619-282-4116
Closed now

Mon-Tue 11:00am-9:00pm, Wed 11:00am-3:00pm, Thu-Fri 11:00am-9:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-9:00pm

First Review by vixyash
randyls51
randyls51

Priority is not the public.

Posted on 08 / 15 / 2014

I travelled across town to try Jyoti-Bihanga. A sign was posted on their door stating that they are closed for a semi-annual retreat( weeks in length). I doubt if I will return since I have no way of knowing when the next closure may be.

philjdomm
philjdomm

Raw Diet

Posted on 06 / 09 / 2014

Well suits better for someone who is not a raw vegan as I was eyeballing their infamous neatloaf

Pros: Hindi, Location
Cons: Not Raw Friendly
pandapharmd
pandapharmd

Warm and friendly

Posted on 01 / 24 / 2014

It's been a few years since my last visit here but I still recall the friendly environment and the neatloaf. If I ever make it back out to San Diego this will be my first stop!

Pros: Neatloaf, Everyone was so nice, Great energy

Mateusz
Mateusz

Exellent food, and excellent service.

Posted on 02 / 02 / 2013

I (vegan) went there for the first time with two out of town friends (one considering vegetarianism, and the other omni), as well as my fiancé (vegetarian), so it was a pretty good mix of veg and non-veg.

All of us were more than satisfied with the food, including the vegan apple pie. The entrees were delicious, and there were no shortcuts for flavor (no reliance on sugar or fat to make it taste better). Prices for everything were quite reasonable. It wasn't the cheapest, but most certainly worth it (about $8-10 for an entree, which came with soup or salad).

The only thing that surpassed the food was the service. Our waiter was very friendly, and never pushy. He was happy to answer all questions, and talk a bit. It all felt very causal and comfortable. This seemed to be pretty much indicative of the service as a whole, since I noticed the rest of the staff getting on well with the customers.

I also appreciated the spiritual atmosphere of the restaurant. While it wasn't forced on anyone, it was still present, and the staff was more than willing to talk about it.

I definitely want to go there again.

Pros: Spiritual atmosphere, Excellent food, Very friendly staff
Cons: Not 100% vegan
valmon
valmon

Fantastic

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2012

We love, love, love Jyoti-Bihanga's!!! Great food and people. Even my mom, who's not a vegetarian, vegan, etc. loves going here when she's in town visiting. Everything is wonderful... if we had to pick a favorite... the Neatloaf w/mashed potatoes and gravy.

Pros: Excellent Food Flavor and Portions, Healthy Food, Great Staff
Cons: Hours of operation
barnsters
barnsters

Terrific!

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2012

When I got there, it was late in the evening, and the place was Packed, and people waiting in line for a table. That's a good sign!
The food was terrific, and they had a lot of variety. The service was great, too. The prices were reaonable.
I'll definitely be back. To date, it's my favorite Veg/Vegan place in SD.

Pros: quality, variety, service
lnmagnee
lnmagnee

Blissful Brunch

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2012

I went to the brunch buffet. They labeled all the items and almost everything was vegan. The restaurant has a religious affiliation, but the employees/members did not even mention it, so I did not feel uncomfortable. They continuously refilled buffet items and cleared dishes. Good price for "all-you-can-eat." It started to get crowded as we were finishing, so go early.

Pros: mostly vegan, good brunch selection, good value
Shesgonevegan
Shesgonevegan

Everything Yum...

Posted on 01 / 26 / 2012

I love this place! Even before I stopped eating meat it was one of my favorite places to go. I love the veggie chile, Brahma Burrito and the Shiva wrap. Their desserts are really good too! Go check it out. My Meat Eating Aussie friends really liked the meatloaf!

berrychamp
berrychamp

I'm a regular

Posted on 06 / 25 / 2011

I volunteer next door to this restaurant once a week and usually get food to go from there. The PLB (peace-light-bliss) burger with mashed potatoes and gravy is one of my favorites. If I am wanting something lighter I will have the soup and salad combo. The staff is friendly and the place is clean and bright. This is probably the longest lasting vegetarian restaurant in San Diego-it has been here for at least 20 years and the quality of the food has been consistent. There is a connection to Sri Chinmoy, and there are pictures and books of his there. The service can be a little slow at times but part of that is because they make everything fresh to order. The food is not strictly vegan, as they use some dairy and eggs, however they are very clear about what is vegan and what is not and there are plenty of vegan choices. The neat loaf, one of their most popular plates, has eggs, though they do have a vegan version.

Pros: Atmosphere, Vegetarian choices, Good portions
Cons: Can be slow, A little bland for my taste

Enjoyable.

Posted on 11 / 10 / 2010

Nice interior. Even a non-veg loved her food. It's great that anything vegan is marked (I'm not sure why everyplace doesn't do that, to save the servers, and customers, from the hassles of going thru menu items--and often the chef knows what's truly vegan better than the servers anyway).

Filling portions compared to most places. But more vegan appetizer options, please. I haven't tried every SD veg place, but this was deffo (at the least) above-average "tastiness" out of 6 or so. I had a good server also. You might need to ask for extra spiciness if you share my preference for that, but they do subtley warn on the menu that some of the ethnic dishes are less spicy than what's authentic, e.g. if you got Thai food in Thailand it would be spicier (i.e. they warn that it's blanditarian/Americanized, or maybe Californianized).

INCREDIBLE vegan mousse-cake.

Lennaert
Lennaert

Vegetarian Paradise in Sunny San Diego

Posted on 10 / 02 / 2010

I managed to drag my non-vegetarian friends to this place two weeks ago for lunch when i was in San Diego for a week. And what a treat it was! When i entered the place a calm serenity fell over my with all the bright white and light blue colours and the shrine dedicated to Sri Chinmoy on the left wall who passed away in 2007. Since we entered kinda late for lunch, i think around 2.30 PM, i lucked out on my original order for an entree which was the split pea soup. My friend was unlucky with his choice of shakes, since they ran out of bananas (which the waiter all didn't know in advance..). Instead i had to go for the 'Golden Vegetable Soup', which was kinda on the cold side for a soup they supposedly just finished making. But than again, it was deliciously full in texture and very tasty! For the main course i opted for the famous 'Neatloaf' ($ 11,95), which they advertise as their bestseller. It sort of looks like a meatloaf but it's stuffed with brown rice, grains, eggs, ricotta cheese, tofu and spices, with mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy and toast on the side. It was just breathtakingly good and filled me up completely! One of my friends had the 'Grilled Portabello Wrap' which looked delicious as well. Since we lucked out at the start the waiter decided to give us a taste of dessert for free (how's that for service?) and we all shared a 'Vegan Chocolate Mouse' which not only looked mouthwatering good but tasted that as well! If it were up to me i would lunch and dine here daily! A big thumbs up :P

Pros: Serene Atmosphere, Fantastic Food, All fresh and good size portions
Cons: Bit to bright colours for my taste, Come early before they ran out of food, Very quiet, maybe a bit too quiet

Delightful!

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2010

We, our family of 5 adults and two little ones, ate dinner for the first time at Jyoti-Bihanga this Saturday and had a delightful experience. The dining room was roomy, bright and cheerful; the hosts/hostesses were truly friendly and welcoming; and the fo0od was truly delicious. Our choices included the Never-say-no Nachos, Brahma Wrap, the Reuben, Salad/Soup, and the Apple Pie with ice cream. Everyone enjoyed the dishes, which were all delicious and sumptuous!
I intend to mke this our No. 1 choice in restaurants in San Diego.

Ramraj

Pros: light and tasty, Generous, clean
Cons: location, location, location
malloneek
malloneek

This is my must eat at!

Posted on 11 / 10 / 2009

When ever I travel to San Diego I must eat here! I can't seem to move past the neat-loaf, but have tried a few other tihngs. The food is good, place is light and airy. The only downside is the staff is a little, um, stand-offish. They are cordial and polite but not overly friendly. Food is great!

Pros: NeatLoaf!, Reasonable price
kristalinn
kristalinn

YUM!

Posted on 06 / 03 / 2009

I'm Vegan so I love a good salad... but I'm not exagerating in the slightest when I say that their house salad was THE most delicious salad I have EVER eaten! We had hummus, which was good. We ordered some sort of curry that was a special, which was good as well, and the Vegan meatloaf (good). But next time I visit, I'm just having a BIG HUGE salad! Seriously! They must put pure love into it! The dressing was some sort of lemon tahini... something.. mmmm! AND, I ordered an orange juice... I swear someone picked some oranges and squeezed them right then and there when I ordered it! FRESH!! On top of it all, everyone working there is so kind and there is a wonderful energy in this place. Downside, they close sometimes and I've shown up and the closed sign is up. I need to remember to call before I just show up.

Pros: SALAD!!, SALAD DRESSING!, Fresh squeezed OJ!
Cons: Some odd hours
Vegan Vera
Vegan Vera

Some winners

Posted on 07 / 29 / 2008

For vegans, there are some bland dishes ("thai" stir-fry, PLB burger), but the hummous wrap and vegan neatloaf are terrific! I also like to try their vegan soup of the day and salad with the sesame herb salad dressing (and dessert if there is room). Viewing the the antics of Sri Chimroy himself on the TV screen used to be a source of amusement, but now I just chose to ignore it. Check out the Sunday buffet (intermittent days) with vegan options!

Pros: good choices for vegans and non-vegans, fairly healthy, good portions for price
Cons: not open Sundays (call for brunch days), tight seating areas, can get noisy/crowded
Lucid
Lucid

Most Excellent

Posted on 05 / 02 / 2008

Been going there for 5 or so years and never have a bad experience. Look for the all-you-can-eat breakfast.

Pros: Food, Atmosphere, Comfort
Cons: Sometimes Busy, Parking
Soyarra
Soyarra

Lovely food, peaceful surroundings.

Posted on 02 / 16 / 2008

I had lunch alone here, and it was great. The beet-coconut soup was subtle and delicious, with a very startling deep purple color. The NeatLoaf (their signature dish) was tasty and filling (something a non-veg might like). The restaurant is quiet and quite restful - a perfect place to eat and read a book at one's leisure. It's a little hard to find (in the Uptown neighborhood far from downtown), but worth it. I can't wait to visit it again, this time with my husband.

Pros: great food, nice service, calm surroundings
Cheryl27
Cheryl27

Truly awesome

Posted on 02 / 12 / 2008

This place was truly awesome. I took my whole family, all of them confirmed meat eaters and everyone loved it. The staff were friendly and the food was outstanding. My brother said it was the best quesadilla he'd ever had. The carrot cake was to die for and the soup was superlative. The restaurant follows the philosophy of Sri Chinmoy and peace and tranquility are found in abundance in the atmosphere, the staff and the food.

Pros: delicious food, Great atmosphere, friendly staff
backpacker420
backpacker420
  • raw

Excellent food; lovely atmosphere

Posted on 11 / 28 / 2007

If you can't find low-fat, raw food or are simply a vegetarian, Jyoti Bihanga is a wonderful option! The staff is very friendly, the restaurant is delightful, and the food is delicious! They have many vegan options and most of their other dishes can be made vegan upon request. The prices are also very reasonable. Jyoti Bihanga is now one of our favorite restaurants!

Pros: Vegan, Delicious food, Wonderful staff
Cons: No raw entrees
jennamichelle1
jennamichelle1

very good

Posted on 07 / 13 / 2007

the food was delicious, I especially loved the mashed potatoes. The service was a little slow and the restaurant was full but the food was definitely worth it. The waiters were also very helpful and friendly. I didn't enjoy the dessert, but I really liked the food.

Pros: food
lwylie
lwylie

Wonderful Evening Meal

Posted on 01 / 29 / 2007

A family gathering lead us to try Jyoti-Bihanga on the recommendation of a vegan friend. I was a bit concerned that non-veg family members would find the food too weird or too spicey. What occured was truly wonderful. The tone of the menu and the helpful wait person put everyone at ease. The salads were fresh and the entrees were exceptionally good. I have been vegetarian since 1975 and this was near the best veg food I have ever been served. I highly recommend this as a place to take non-veg folk.

Pros: cleanliness, food, friendly staff
Cons: not in my home town
vixyash
vixyash
  • non-vegetarian

My Favorite Veg Place in San Diego!

Posted on 09 / 05 / 2006

Can't say enough great things about this place! Every dish I've tried is delicious, from the organic iced teas, to the excellent entrees, to the delectable desserts. The "Neatloaf" is a must-try and is served either as an entree or in sandwich form (also a vegan version available). Even the simplest dishes like the baked potato with tofu and vegetables are brimming with large portions of mouthwatering morsels.

Pros: Tasty, Variety, Affordable
Cons: Staff appears standoffish, at first

Dear Owner and Manager of Jyoti-Bihanga: