Gluten-free kitchen providing breakfast, lunch, and grab-and-go dinner. Ingredients are as organic as possible. Sample items include soup, veggie pancake, saute, veggie burgers, raw cashew coconut macaroons, raw fig bars, sourdough bread, and sprouted grain crackers. Moved from 4457 Broadway St. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Bakery, American, Raw, Take-out
3980 Broadway
Boulder, Colorado 80304
720-389-5578

Open Mon-Fri 7am-10pm, Sat 9am-10pm, Sun 9am-7pm.

First Review by initfortheanimals
Troktagon
Troktagon

Raw baked goods were pretty good

4 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2014

I've only tried a few of their raw desserts. They sell lots of bite-sized ones, so I got a selection. They were better than I expected.

Mollyashlyn
Mollyashlyn

Awful

2 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2014

We drove out of our way to try this place. The food was ok but it seemed dirty and the staff was awful. I would be bummed if I owned this place and the people who worked there represented me like this. Unecessary and too bad. The one girl wouldn't even take my very simple order she was so overwhelmed with one lady buying four muffins.

ColoradoCow
ColoradoCow

Best Local Vegan Place

4 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2014

This place is cozy and warm. I've eaten here several times and the staff has always been friendly and helpful. Lots of unique choices that are 100% vegan, organic and gluten-free. Cloth napkins for an eco-friendly dinning experience. I am a repeat customer. :-)
Updated from previous review on Thursday June 12, 2014

Pros: very healthy, staff, unique

Ned Harding
Ned Harding

Very Healthy - Not as tastey

3 Posted on 05 / 02 / 2014

Julia's Kitchen is health food 1st and comfort food second. I always feel good after eating there, but I don't always feel satisfied.

Pros: Healthy
Cons: Small Plates
Redheaded Vegan
Redheaded Vegan

The Wonderful Kind of Full

5 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2013

I had eaten here one other time before yesterday, and now I am wondering what took me so long to get back. Last time I only ran in and picked up something from their "grab and go" fridge, plus a couple of chocolate chip cookies because hey...chocolate chip cookies.

Yesterday when I ventured back there while in Boulder for the day I was welcomed by a warm and inviting staff who gave me the space to decide what I wanted and made me feel taken care of at the same time. I am always a bit overwhelmed as a gluten-free vegan when I find myself in a restaurant where I can eat anything on the menu.

I decided to try the chickpea burger and all I can say is holy yum! It was warm and slightly crispy on the outside with a beautifully warm and chewy texture on the inside and served with some cabbage and ridiculously good caramelized onions, and a balsamic sauce. This was all on a bun of their incredible sourdough bread and served up with a side salad of shredded carrots, purple cabbage and some herbs. The food left me full but not overly so.

The bread was so good I grabbed a loaf to go and it is dense and hearty and I've already frozen some because this will last me a while. I had a slice warmed today with some avocado and hot sauce. That is a breakfast of champions!

I also grabbed a few chocolate chip cookies because my memories of them were so wonderful and I was not disappointed. I don't like my desserts to be cloyingly sweet or artificial tasting. These had just the right hint of sweet and a slightly nutty flavor with a crunch I imagine might be millet.

The staff was all warm and friendly and the place has an incredible amount of charm. The napkins are all handmade with whimsical fabric, there is a sign by the water cooler telling you if you can't finish your glass that "our herbs are always thirsty," and the place smells heavenly from all of the cooking, sprouting, fermenting, and dehydrating going on. I live a bit far to make Julia's Kitchen a seriously regular thing, but rest assured when I find myself up near Boulder I will be stopping in - and I'm sure to bring friends!

Pros: Delicious, nourishing food, Warm and friendly staff, Charming atmosphere
Cons: A bit off my beaten path
Christopherson
Christopherson

Very bland food.. staff too cool for school

2 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2013

Ate here three times, each time hoping it would get better. Unfortunately, the menu is very very bland. On top of that, each time I visited I felt like I didn't belong here... the staff was kind of lukewarm; maybe because I didn't have dreads or something.

In any case, I think there many better veg / vegan options in Boulder.

Cons: Indifferent staff, Bland menu
Catlady333
Catlady333

Healthy, clean food

5 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2013

This is my go-to place when I want super healthy, clean food. The daily burger is fantastic. The Chai tea is delicious. The people are nice and it's a laid back place which is perfect. I wish I could eat here everyday.

Pros: local, organic produce, super healthy, friendly staff
Wren
Wren

EXTRAORDINARY

5 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2013

How many places can you find where a gluten-free vegan can choose anything on the menu? Where the choices include breakfast, lunch, dinner, crackers and cheese, desserts, grab-and-go packages, bakery items, and drinks? Julia's Kitchen is a cute, little hippy place with rickety tables, a big comfy couch and warm painted walls with artwork. My favorite meals so far have been the crepes with banana ice cream, the raw pizza, the crackers and cream cheese, (the hummus was a bit bland), and the wrap, which had a delicious green sauce. My kids didn't care for the apple caramel muffins or the scones because they're used to very sweet baked items, but their father and I really enjoyed them. You should go!

Pros: Vegan, gluten-free, fresh, delicious, Variety of menu items, good portions, Friendly staff
Cons: Small, crowded, A couple of dishes need more flavor
Gabe
Gabe

meh

2 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2013

Unfortunately, I have to mostly concur with the first reviewer (initfortheanimals). This is probably one of the healthiest restaurants in town, but it comes at the cost of flavor. We got some type of soup and a curry dish I think (I couldn't really tell you what they were beyond that, because the menu changes all the time and they were quite unmemorable) and my girlfriend and I were both pretty amazed by the lack of any sort of real seasoning or flavor. For dessert, we had a "cinnamon roll" that was also pretty bland. So again, if you're a dedicated raw-foodist, or an extremely healthy eater, you'll probably love this place. If you're looking for someplace to bring an omnivore friend (or your vegetarian self if you think taste is an important component of food as well as nutrition), avoid this place like the plague.

Pros: healthy, raw, vegan
Cons: bland, flavorless, boring
Guest
Guest

Nourished with loving kindness

5 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2012

Julia catered our kundalini yoga teacher training with Karuna at StarHouse in 2011. Her cooking was filled with loving kindness and I always felt calm and peaceful each day after lunch. I assure you that you will leave feeling nourished with the healing power of natural food. Enjoy.

Pros: healthy, nutritious, nourishing
LeeC
LeeC

Sweet, small place with an all vegan menu

5 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2012

We went there for breakfast the other day and had the special, waffles with ice cream. Oh, they were so good. There was something else cooking which smelled really good, too.
We'll be back for more.

Pros: all vegan, good food, organic, gluten free
Cons: not the cheapest, but it's all organic..
NicholeGolden
NicholeGolden

My Favorite Boulder Restaurant!

5 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2012

Julia's kitchen not only has the most wholesome and delicious food I have ever had, but they nurture the most loving and sincere intentions for your body and soul into every single thing they make. I am constantly blow away but the creativity in each dish/treat and moved by the process by which they craft their cuisine. Every grain sprouted in their own kitchen, every bean soaked! They are organic, 100% vegan and gluten-free...they do it all! I wish I could eat here for every single meal. If you haven't had a chance to go to Julia's Kitchen, make it a point-this place is a true Boulder gem. Thank you Julia and staff for bringing such a conscious restaurant to our community!

Pros: organic, healthy, genuine staff
VeganSally
VeganSally

A Rare Treat

5 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2012

It is soooo difficult to find vegan food that is also gluten-free when you're eating out. Not at Julia's Kitchen. This place is a breath of fresh air. When I went they had cream of broccoli soup; red lentil coconut curry; sprouted lentil, millet, and vegetable sauté with lemon ginger sauce; sprouted lentil sloppy joe; bbq tofu sandwich and apple-stuffed crepes. I had the sloppy joe and it was heaven on a bun.

initfortheanimals
initfortheanimals

Everything on the menu tastes like cardboard

2 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2012

Good intentions, worst execution ever.
I have eaten here half a dozen times, thinking it would get better, it doesn't. This is NOT the place to bring a non vegetarian, they will be scarred for life, and never want to eat veg food again, seriously.
The baked goods are the worst I've ever had, the rest of the offerings aren't far behind.
The arrogant staff are cocky and seriously lacking in customer service skills.
The decor goes hand in hand with the food, tacky and flavorless.

Pros: ingredients
Cons: food, service, food
  • Juliaskitchen Juliaskitchen

Hi there! So sorry you haven't enjoyed your experiences at my cafe. I am very open to feedback and would welcome your constructive comments on what you would do differently if you are ever inspired to speak to me directly. We love the taste of our fresh, organic dishes that are made from scratch with the best possible ingredients. Fortunately, we have many regular customers, both vegetarians and omnivores, who feel the same. I hope that you will find a restaurant that suits your taste perfectly.

Dear Owner and Manager of Julia's Kitchen: