CLOSED: Juicy Jones - Cardenal

Vegan restaurant offering a menu-of-the-day that includes a soup with bread, a sample plate various small vegan dishes, and a dessert. Also serves seitan, tofu, vegetable sandwiches, salads, soups, desserts, juices, teas. Colorful, funky atmosphere. Directions: From La Rambla going down, on the left is Boquria st, on the right is Hospital st. Left onto Boquria and keep left onto Cadenal. May 2014, reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Spanish, Beer/Wine
C/Cardenal Casañas 7, Ciutat Vella (Plaza de Pi)
Barcelona, Spain 08002
+34-933024330

Mon-Sun 10:00am-11:00pm

First Review by sparkly_ruth
Fer
Fer

Good breakfast

5 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2014

I'd take an excellent vegan breakfast in this place. Good price and friendly waiter.

Pros: In the center of the city, Price, Friendly
KevinFrea
KevinFrea

Great Food And Value

5 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2014

A Barcelona institution, I hadn't been back for years and was worried that it might have changed. However, a delicious 3 course meal for less than 10 euros convinced me that it hadn't. Has an artichoke soup, followed by an amaxing thali and a catalan dessert with caramel topping. Highly recommended. All served by a very friendly waitress.

Pros: Price, Quality
elrujo
elrujo

VISIT BOTH

5 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2014

Check also the other one too is close by.
u r in barcelona?? that means u gotta eat here and at the partner one.Have breakfast in this one and go for lunch to the other one.

Great food and creative interior of the restaurant.
Good people to have a chat too.

Pros: amazing breakfast, creative design, talkative people

DanielAmaral
DanielAmaral

AWESOME

5 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2014

I just loved it. I went there to a sunday brunch and I was amazed by the quality of the food. The brunch consisted of cashew yogurt, fruit, grains, tofu, bread and pancakes. It's a LOT of great food. I left the place full as hell. And it was very cheap, about 8 euros or something. The staff is also very friendly.

Pros: Lots of food, tasty, nice staff
Bluejaay
Bluejaay

fresh & colourful

5 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2014

Lovely vibrant space with a vast menu of fresh juices and smoothies - and the option to create your own, which I did with a 3 mix fresh juice.
The menu was fairly diverse, and all sounded delish. We each had one of the burgers, served with wedges - both were great. My kids ate really nice hummus (very garlicky but that's how we like it!) a simple but yummy avocado & salad sandwich as well as an Indian style Thali del dia, which was fantastic.
Highly recommended.

Pros: bright, cheery space, fresh, diverse food., English speaking staff
AJ
AJ

Liked it a lot!

4 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2014

This was probably my favorite place in Barcelona. The menu del dia is a great deal. The food ranged from excellent (risotto) to mediocre (thali) and the atmosphere and service were great!

Pros: Good prices, Funky, hip atmosphere
Cons: Some of the food was bland
Isabeille
Isabeille

Love Juicy Jones

5 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2013

A great inexpensive vegan restaurant.

Pros: Juice, Nice Staff, Fresh
Cons: not a huge diversity
lovanely
lovanely

Great juices!!

4 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2013

They have all kind of juices!!And they are amazing!!...too bad its not all organic..

arherron
arherron

delicious and inexpensive

3 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2013

The meal of the day is 8.50E and includes three courses and bread. The salad, gazpacho, seitan steak and the crime Catalan were all lovely. Service is friendly, the menu is in English And Spanish and all the staff speak English. The range if juices offered is very extensive and the a la carte menu makes us want to return.

Updated from previous review on Saturday September 14, 2013

we did return, with some friends, on the very next day (Sunday lunchtime). It was quite embarrassing. The waitress wasn't friendly at all, quite the opposite, and the service level was totally different from the day before. Our friends were a bit surprised that we'd said so many good thing about the place but maybe she was just having a bad day.

Pros: all vegan, central and friendly (the men are), delicious
Cons: the waitress is unfriendly and rude, variable service levels.
travelkitt
travelkitt

I feel water in my mouth....

4 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2013

I love the food, the diversity is so good! And the tali's are awsome. Must try!

Pros: tali, friendliness
Cons: to many colors in the place
tsve sp
tsve sp

Very Nice Place

4 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2013

Huge variety of fresh juices and delicios shakes. All the sandwiches are very tasty, but they have only 2 soups in the menu and they are never available

eivi
eivi

Disappoining

2 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2013

Went to Jucy Jones Cardenal after reading reviews from the place and vere very disappointed. Arriwed late in Barcelona with my non-vegetarian friend and was looking forward to a great vegan meal. The burrito we ordered was burned on both sides and was very dry and the hummus was not so god. The waitress seemed impatient, but she was friendly. The beer we had was very good and also the vanilla dessert.

Not so cosy sourroundings being in a celler with no windows.

Pros: vegan, good beer, good dessert
Cons: burned meal, celler with no windows
FontellaLloyd
FontellaLloyd

Great restaurant/cafe

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2013

We went to this restaurant twice on our last visit to Barcelona in July. I totally recommend it!
The food and juice are amazing. On our first visit we tried the 3 course meal, a bargain at only 9 euros I think I recall. I had strawberry & avocado soup - yum! My partner had houmous, again yum and then we had thalis for our mains...well it was delicious but I had no hope of finishing mine and we couldn't face desert which was included! We tried the orange & kiwi juice and I can't remember what else but again they were gorgeous.

The second visit we just had main courses & shared the houmous for a starter, a far more sensible option for a normal appetite! My partner had another thali (of the day) and I had the noodle salad. Again YUM and the different juices too.
We will be back!

Pros: a massive selection of yummy food, a massive selection of juices & tea, generous portions & cheap & healthy
Cons: not many gluten free deserts if any
GizelaRego
GizelaRego

AMAZING

5 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2013

Went there in 2010, and now, and was even best this time! :)
Very good food, good portions, many options, all vegan! And i went with my partner and baby and was really family friendly place! Amazing price, cozy place

Pros: Price, Portions, Variety
heliorodrigues
heliorodrigues

probably one of the best vegan places in europe

5 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2013

we been two times to this place and definitely recommend, its all five stars, the location (impossible to get more central than this), the friendly waiters, the food (amazing! the humous, the mushroom croquetas, lasanha, etc), the place and decoration (funky, colourful and original), the price and everything really.. even the customers seem to have a nice vibe. u can feel its not mainstream or trendy, it is simply a place with values and with good heart. it seems to be a popular place so if u want to make sure u get a table just try to get there early or call to book if possible. enjoy!

Pros: good value, excellent food, nice alternative vibe
laurasremedies
laurasremedies

Juicy Jones, Barcelona, SPAIN

5 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2013

We ate twice at Juicy Jones when we visited Barcelona this month; their food was SO good, and so beautifully presented, that we had to go back. For 8.50 Euros you can get: a starter, a segundo, a dessert, and wine or bottled water, all accompanied by delicious, fresh wholegrain bread. The atmosphere is joyous, colorful walls entice you to come in and enjoy. Our hummus plate held an enormous serving, big enough for two hearty appetites; our creative seitan entrees compared with much more expensive presentations in other restaurants. They seem to change their menu daily, which was a delightful surprise. Our waitress was at least bilingual, attentive in a laid-back Spanish way. I would highly recommend Juicy Jones to anyone, vegan or not!

Pros: excellent food, beautifully presented, inexpensive
Cons: no outdoor seating
DaniM
DaniM

Delicious but....

3 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2013

Ok, always start with the good things: It is a small young and fresh eatery on a side road besides the Rambla; so very central.
You will get delicious food (we had the hummus and rye-bread) and awesome smoothies! Really, i've never had such a good one in europe before! Also the range of meals and smoothies is huge!
And for that what you are paying for, i'd say the prices are absolutely inexpensive! Great!
And now, you can read it in some previous reviews, the not so stunning things: First of all, all the employees are were not friendly at all (that's what we experienced). I would say this kind of attitude damped the mood.
And in my opinion an absolutely no-go was, that i ordered a smoothie (one again it was very yummy) and the waitress had let me wait for a while, BECAUSE SHE MADE A SMOOTHIE FOR A OTHER WAITRESS FIRST PRIOR TO MINE! From a customer's point of view you can't do that.

DON'T GET ME WRONG: I would have given 5 cows out of 5 due to the very delicious tastings, but the not so friendly attitude of the clerks and the matter that i came second after the collegue...made me occasioned to give only 3 cows.

Pros: Very delicious, Great offer, Inexpensive
Cons: Not that friendly
OneNightStanzas
OneNightStanzas

Hmmm...

2 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2013

I really don't know what to make of this place.
Positives: awesome place with amazing funky murals on the walls. SO MANY JUICES/SMOOTHIES, I have never seen so much choice! The hummus was absolutely delicious -- I always thought hummus was pretty much the same everywhere, but this was magical hummus. So good! My partner had one of their sandwiches which was HUGE and he was extremely happy with it. I had the seitan pinxos (skewers), and loved those too, lovely sauce, beautifully cooked, good portion size. The staff were very pleasant and attentive but not too attentive. Prices were decent for the starters and mains, all of which were pretty massive. Yay!
OK, negatives: the place was FREEZING COLD for some reason. It's kind of underground, don't know if that's why? The puddings are utterly mediocre - no other word for it. We all ordered different ones and no one finished theirs because they were just not pleasant. The apple tart sounds delicious but is actually cold, slimy and pretty awful. Sorry Juicy! Has to be a middling three cows from me :(

UPDATED from previous review on Saturday July 21, 2012

OK, I went back to Juicy Jones this week, ONE year on, and I've decided what I think of it now... and it's not good :( This time my bloke and I went in to have breakfast -- we were really excited as we don't know of any other vegan/veggie places in Barcelona that have a breakfast menu. Breakfast starts at 10am, we got there at around 10.45am and the girl at the counter told us, "I don't have muffins, I don't have gofres, I don't have toastadas." That is THE WHOLE BREAKFAST MENU. She wasn't apologetic at all, just gave us the lunch menu to look at instead. She also told us we couldn't take a seat to discuss/think about it/look at the menu because "you have to order and pay first." Needless to say, we left. Sorry JJ, there are just too many other good vegan places in Barcelona. Downgraded to two cows :(

Pros: Big portions, Loads of choice, Magical hummus
Cons: So cold inside!, The puddings made us sad, Rude service/no breakfast 2nd time round
dor_dafna
dor_dafna

Small menu...

4 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2013

the shakes menu is huge and the food menu is too small...was a bit dissapointed when found this out. also nothing special in the food menu...too ordinary.
i took the tofu bocadillo which was very tasty , but a little expensive for what you get
the place itself is really cool and located very well...just in the middle of the ramblas !!!

Pros: friendly staff, cool palce, good location, bocadillo is very good
Cons: little expensive
JMarin
JMarin

I miss juicy jones

5 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2013

I went to barcelona once, it's a wonderfull place... But everytime i remind of this city, it's always included "must return to juicy jones".. five stars, no question about it

Pros: Vegan, Atmosphere, Location
Cons: Far from home
apeface36
apeface36

Great Juice

4 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2012

Thsi place is super cute location with wonderful juices smoothies and shakes..pretty good sandwiches too. i had dessert but wasnt too font of what i chose. I would definitely go back just maybe no for dessert..

Pros: fresh, healthy, bright
Cons: short food menu
vegancharlie
vegancharlie

health kick in spain

4 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2012

this place has a fun, bright & healthy buzz. my boyfriend & i ate here last wk & enjoyed it!
i had the tofu, avocado, satay & salad bocadillo which was nice, however the bread wasn't the best - airy & dry. but it was so good to eat tofu again! and in spain!
i also had a juice that was really delicious & gave me the health kick i needed.
my boyfriend had the menu del dia of hummus w yummmy wholegrain bread, an indian platter: tasters of 3 curries, rice, pappadam, bahji & chutneys. he says it was the best meal hes had in a long time & the perfect amount. he had the apple crumble for dessert which was small & a healthy version. it was nice to finish lunch with, but i think mine is better ;)
definitely recommend this place - a nice health kick to keep you going in spain!

Pros: healthy, tasty, nice bright vibe
Cons: bocadillo bread
Toriay
Toriay

Disapointing

2 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2012

Very disapointing. The hummus was lovely but the main was very average and the dessert was awful. The decor and music were nice but the staff were border-line rude. It was a lot of food for 8.50 though.

Pros: good value
Cons: Food, Dessert is awful, Staff
runsten
runsten

ok meal for that price

3 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2012

Staff very friendly and helpful but the food was nothing special but what could you expect for that price. I would still recommend to go to some of the better lunch restaurants in the same area, which are only a 2-3 euro more expansive but serve high quality food.

Better to just stay in the bar and have fruit or vegetable drink!

Pros: good service , cheap, quick
Cons: dull atmosphere, low quality of the food, rather tastless
vegan111123
vegan111123

incredible

5 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2012

Delicious juices, sandwiches and salads, all vegan. Can sit at the bar or go downstairs to a very fun and brightly decorated seating area. Highly recommended!

Pros: good value, fresh food, great area
micococo
micococo

fabulous healthy drink & guacamole

5 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2012

I highly recommend this place. They were nice. The food taste good & is quite reasonably priced.
It was easy to find.
I had a delicious green drink with avocado & also some guacamole.

It's a nice place to stop in for a snack.
Micah Intrator. www.ChocolateTherapie.weebly.com

Pros: tasty, healthy , cheap
pesek
pesek

Not more than ok

3 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2012

Went to Juice Jones Cardenal two times in my visit to Barcelone. The first time I only ate a sandwich and the other time the burger from their 3 dish menu.

The sandwich was great, though a bit small. The burger was not the best I've ever had. Their milkshake felt artificial and did only taste sweetening. The staff didn't feel very welcoming but they spoke english, that is good.

It filled the stomach, but I gut hungry kind of fast again.

Pros: Nice decorating, Ok food, Good prices
Cons: Small portions, To "healthy", -
chickodoo
chickodoo

Epic Smoothies

4 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2012

I visited Juicy Jones about 3 times whilst in Barcia. It was easy to find, just off Rambles and the smoothes there were hard to resist. I'd recommend the choc/banana one, extremely chocolate and just plain YUM. I loved the hippie mural on the wall, and there was a good area of seating out the back.
Desserts I had there was a yummy apple cake and some cookies with a type of berry dipping sauce. Anything Vegan I am stoked with generally so I'm probably not the best critic, but they were very yummy and the cake was especially moist and delectable.
The only issue I have with Juicy Jones is when it's busy I found the people working were hard to get attention from, and I had to stand of seat around the counter for quite a few minutes before I was acknowledged.
Also, being an Aussie, the menu was slightly hard to understand as it was mainly Spanish, or the meals had names I didn't recognise.

Pros: large range of Juices/Smoothies, Fantastic desserts
Cons: Staff weren't overly helpful
marmot1972
marmot1972

Great food in a lovely ambience

5 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2012

This is the first of the two Juicy Jones' restaurants in Barcelona. In the 15+ years it has been serving great quality vegan food, there have been very little times I could say I did a wrong choice.
This and its Hospital Street dinner is a must when in Barcelona.

Pros: Food, Juices, Price
Kristel
Kristel

Good food, great juices

3 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2012

We went here on our second day in Barcelona for a quick lunch and had the bocadillo tofu with avocado. It was nice, especially in comparison with what we had the first day. The sandwich could use a bit more avocado, but it was ok.
The day after we came back here for a juice, we had a kiwi-mango-orange juice and it was rezally good.

Pros: great juices, fresh
Hanna Louise
Hanna Louise

Amazing breakfast

5 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2012

you can order brunch for 6.50, and you get to try pretty much everything on their breakfast menu, and it's enough food for two people. Also probably the only vegan breakfast in barcelona

Librahi
Librahi

Average but fully vegan is always good!

3 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2012

Went for lunch before 1:00 and they weren't serving hot food yet. Got a sanwich and soba noodle dish plus hummus appetizer. They were good but nothing to rave about. Tofu was thin and crispy, which was unique and a great texture.

Pros: Friendly Staff
Cons: Small Menu
piratechick
piratechick

smoothie and shake heaven

5 Posted on 04 / 17 / 2012

Went there for dinner with friends. Having an all-vegan menu to choose from is always a great experience - but I had never seen such an extensive selection of smoothies and vegan milkshakes before! The meal of the day was very good (try the couscous with baked zucchini and tomato sauce!), and the homemade bread was just awesome. Homemade cookies and apple crumble for dessert! Yay!

Pros: super friendly, huge selection of shakes and smoothies, wonderful baked goods
Cons: not that easy to find (but we managed)
Tara HD
Tara HD

Mixed experience

3 Posted on 01 / 17 / 2012

My partner and I went to this place twice. The first time I ordered the brunch and my partner a bocadillo (sandwich) with tofu and a satay-ginger sauce. The brunch was excellent value for money: It tasted good and was very cheap. The bocadillo however consisted of lots of very dry bread and the satay-ginger sauce was very strong on the ginger side.
We still went there a second time and tried the bocadillos again. My partner said the bread was better (though not exactly good) that time but I still found it extremely dry and just too much bread for the not so copious filling.

Pros: excellent juices, good brunch, all vegan
Cons: bocadillos too dry
hack_man
hack_man

Full on Vegan

4 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2011

Cracking place just off the Ramblas with some seating on ground level and plenty more in the basement. Loads of hot and cold tapas plus the amazing value meal of the day, a four course spectacular consisting of soup, main course, desert and a glass of wine for only 8.50EUR. Very colourful and funky inside, definitely a must whilst walking around this part of town.

Pros: Vegan, Deal of the day
Happyheffer
Happyheffer

Juicy Jones

2 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2011

Location: central. but easy to miss as the entrance is not well marked compared to the other branch.
Atmosphere: casual and funky bright painted walls
Service: average
Food: My seitan was awful, it was bone dry and hard but hte accompaying cause was good. My friend's had the thali which was yummy and my other friend had the gnocchi which was also good.
Dessert was interesting... the banana cake did not taste very bananaish

AEast10025
AEast10025

Funky

4 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2011

Funky atmosphere. Centrally located. Lunch meal options including an appetizer, main, drink and dessert. Food was just ok but lots of options (we got seitan and thali lunches) and inexpensive. Service was quick and friendly.

Niels Van Och
Niels Van Och

5 cows for juice, 3 cows for the rest

4 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2011

My girlfriend and I went here on the second day of our five-day trip to Barcelona, and we came back twice!

The first time we came for dinner, and it was alright. I had the Indian-style menu of the day, which was nice and reasonably authentic. My girlfriend had a salad which was unfortunately loaded with tapenade, which made the dish too salty and greasy.
The rest of the menu was a decent selection, but keep in mind this is a cafeteria-style restaurant, so no fancy cuisine is to be expected. That said, the dishes on the menu were original and creative recipes, which is always a big plus in our book.

The interior was nicely decorated with a lot of vibrant colours, but the restaurant part had a bit of a noise problem. With some people in the low-ceilinged room, the chatter bounced off the walls and it was hard to hear each other.

The juice-bar part of the enterprise is a whole other story however. With our lunch we also ordered a juice and a milkshake, and these were just fenomenally great! A lot of choices and some creative options, with the possibility of creating your own juice. We actually came back for more twice in the next days of our trip, because the thought of a juiceless day just seemed wrong. Definately try one of these if you're in town, and if you happen to catch a meal there, you won't be disappointed either!

Pros: amazing juice, value for money, nice decoration
Cons: loud, food varied in quality
kilgore
kilgore

Cheap and cheerful

5 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2011

This is the smallest of the Juicy Jones' in Barcelona, and is very conveniently placed around 100 yards off Las Ramblas. There is an extensive menu, and everything, especially the Menu del Dia, always provides great value. The food is amazing (especially the home-made houmus and the Thali plate) and the service is quick, friendly and efficient.

Pros: Cheap, Tasty, Friendly
hippublican
hippublican

Letdown

3 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2011

We went late one night just to get a shake and something sweet. It was fairly busy, so we were expecting the service to be somewhat slow. What we didn't expect, or appreciate, was having our order taken 15 minutes later and after people who had clearly just walked in.
In any case, we got a shake and cookie. I enjoyed the shake (one with pistachio and avocado) but my husband didn't. I thought it was mellow and not too sweet. The cookie however, was nast. It was dry, crumbly, and bland. Kind of like a sugar cookie.
I did like all the paintings on the walls, but I wouldn't be in a rush to go back.
I'll give it 3 cows instead of 2 because we didn't order food and maybe the food is really great.

jellybean
jellybean

Love Juicy Jones

5 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2011

Loved Juicy Jones - went 3 nights out of 6! Had a sandwich the first night and the meal the next two. Thought the menu was varied between salads, sandwiches and the meals. Also tried the milkshakes. Everything was good. Service was great, they spoke English was was helpful! It was a great find!! Wish there was a Juicy Jones close to home.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good value
maartje85
maartje85

Great dinner

5 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2011

Can't say anything other than great place! We had dinner here, it was kind of crowded so it took a while for the one waitress working to get out orders, but she made it up by being very friendly. We had the menu of the day (8.50e) and it was very good, especially the dahli of the day (3 types of curries, jum!). Also the milkshakes were very good and well priced... so two thumbs up!

Pros: Cheap day menu, Good food, Friendly staff
Cons: Not enough staff, No windows
Garp93
Garp93

Mostly Good, but...

3 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2011

Loved the food. Very nice people. However, on first day I was there for lunch (hours are erratic) I was charched 19 euros for a pretty simple lunch. Went back the next day and received 3 meals for 20.45 Euros. What was the deal? Much happier, obviously, with the second meal's price. Was also given big piece of chocolate cake. Was that because they wanted to get rid of last piece or were genuinely generous?

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly
Cons: Prices not clear, Erratic opening times, honest?
veganmanc
veganmanc

Good food and reasonable price

4 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2011

We went to both Juicy Jones' during a trip to the city in January and preferred the smaller of the two at Cardenal. We pretty much had the place to ourselves on both visits and staff were friendly and spoke good English (in fact I think one was English but I also heard her speaking French to other customers!)
Most people go for the set menu at 8.50 euros which seems a good deal. Salads are HUGE and although mostly made up of lettuce are a good meal in themselves. The sandwiches are pretty big too and good to take out to last the rest of the day when sightseeing. And the chocolate and coconut smoothie was really tasty.
The selection doesn't really change but if you're only in the city for a few days you can't go wrong with a daily visit.
It'd be good if they opened earlier as it's difficult getting vegan breakfast in Barcelona and we found ourselves being hungry waiting for it to open!

Pros: 100% vegan, Big portions, Reasonable price
Cons: Menu doesn't change (much)
vinnyk
vinnyk

Good for the juice bar

4 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2010

Really liked the soya sandwich, great juices. Quite expensive but the drinks were great.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Excellent juices
Cons: Expensive
Karina_S
Karina_S

GOOD but expensive

4 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2010

I went there with my volunteer camp,they never tried vegan staff before so it was really tasty but a bit expensive!I like the decorations and style of juicy
highly reccomend u to visit that place=)

shelley kinnear
shelley kinnear

vegan

5 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2010

Ordered a sandwich for dinner and thought I would be hungry still so ordered a salad too. The sandwich was large made with dense thick yummy bread and loaded with toppings. Very filling and tasty sandwich. The salad was very generous as well and very tasty. The grapefruit lime smoothy was to die for! Juicy Jones is an amazing place (easy to walk by but worth going back for!) Very good food and very good prices!

Pros: taste , variety, cost
Cons: easy to walk by it
laceygean
laceygean

I wish I had one of these at home!

4 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2010

This place was great! I got the avocado, lemon, spinach, apple smoothie and it was wonderful. Then I got the meal of the day
Lentil Soup served with vegan bread and olive oil
Vegan Empanada
Fruit Crumble
all for 8.50 euro
I wish I had been in Barcelona longer to try more- really vast menu!

Pros: English spoken , interesting combinations, inexpensive
icysky
icysky

Nice for snacks

3 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2010

We had an afternoon snack here, with a great pair of freshly squeezed juices.

We recommend the mezza sharer, but the sandwich platter is a bit of a 'mess' - ie use a bib! :)

Finding it is easy, its opposite L'hospital - left off the rumbla where l'hospital is on the right. Then turn a sharp left and it is an opening on the left a few shops in.

Pros: Great juices, Good price
Cons: Hard to find, Slow service
kellikins
kellikins

fabulous!!

5 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2010

I absolutely LOVED Juicy Jones... not only are the smoothies, shakes and juices fresh and tasty, but the food served is fabulous as well.
We were only in Barcelona for less than a week, but I think we ate there every day, if not twice a day.
I definatley recommend it, even to non-vegetarians.

Pros: everything
Cons: none
Hanna
Hanna

Worth of visiting

3 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2010

Nice cafe, looks like a hippie place. I had a tasty salad which was so huge I couldn't eat it all. My boyfriend had chocolate cake and really liked it. We also had vegetable smoothies which we liked so much that we're now trying to copy them at home. Would go again.

kennyp353
kennyp353

Cheap and plentiful - but you get what you pay for

3 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2010

Just west of the Rambla by Liceu station, this narrow juice bar has a colourful restaurant out back. Three courses with a glass of wine for €8.50 - how can you go wrong? And there's nothing wrong with it - it was quite pleasant, and there was certainly tons of it - I've never had such a vast plate of oil-drenched houmous, and that was just an appetiser. But nothing outstanding here - it's bland vegan food. Staff were friendly and spoke good English. Worth a lunchtime trip if you're in the area.

Pros: cheap, location, friendly
Cons: bland
kool_kitchen
kool_kitchen

NOT exciting

3 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2009

Atypical veggie food, BUT it is carnivore central, Barcelona. Basically you're looking at a pre-set dish of the day (from my 8 years of visiting this is always a thali) or mediocre baguettes. What you do get is a wonderful array of juices- so many to choose from- all freshly made on the spot. Service is dreadful, but hey, this is Spanish time. And let's face it: what are your veggie options in jamon tapas' land? Worth a visit- just.

Pros: Juices, Location
Cons: Odd opening hours, SLOW service, food menu
aggcardiff
aggcardiff

Vegan oasis in Barcelona!

4 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2009

In a city that's not massively vegan friendly, this is great. The facade makes it look like a small juice bar for alternative types. Squeeze past the counter and you will find ample dining space in the cavernous 'cellar'. The salads are amazing and very filling. Deserts seem a little bit like an afterthought but the meals themselves are fab.

Pros: Vegan oasis, GREAT salads, plenty of choice
Cons: A little dingy, Very little choice of desert
estefinparis
estefinparis

Cheap vegan alternative

3 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2009

I've been to this restaurant a couple of times and always ordered from the pre-set menu, which is probably the cheapest option and is good in terms of quantity. Generally I have enjoyed the food here although I don't get the impression that it's the cleanest of restaurants. The smoothies are huge and very refreshing, there is a very large selection with many attrative options. As for service, in my experience they were friendly but had some troubles communicating in Spanish. All in all I recommend trying it if you're looking for a reasonably priced vegan option.

Nudelholz
Nudelholz

Great place!

4 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2009

Yes, the ventilation is really noisy, and it took some time to encrypt the menu (wich was in spanish only and written on a blackboard) - but the staff was very helpful, and I really enjoyed the food! When ordering the menu del dia (three courses) , expect a precooked meal, then you won't be disappointed that it's not prepared freshly. But it still tastes great and is definitively reasonably priced. The painted walls make it to a special experience. We liked it so much that we tried the other branch at hospital street the next day. (And there we also tried a smoothie and a vegan milkshake - perfect!!)

Pros: Reasonably priced menu del dia, Everything's vegan, Great Smoothies and Shakes
Cons: Ventilation is noisy
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Mind blowing Juice, not so great food

3 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2009

We tried the soba salad and the hummus sandwich, both were relatively inedible, but when we got our juices, the lemonade + mint + lemon & lemonade + strawberry + lemon they were literally the best juices we've ever had! Definitely get the small as its a ton of juice! Even though we only took a few bites of the food we were full from the froozen concoctions! The price is very cheap. Stick to the juice and get your food elsewhere.

Pros: incredible juice, low prices
Cons: poor food
Munchi-chi
Munchi-chi

ALL VEGAN!! A Treasure!!

5 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2009

I was so surprised and pleased to find the location on Hospital street was only 2 blocks from our hotel, Bacelo Raval.
The first visit (lunch) we decided to order off the menu rather then go w/ the plate of the day or thali plate. I got a sandwich and my husband a mixture of tapas. Everything was very good but nothing special other then that we didn't have to worry about what we were ordering since it was all VEGAN :) Which is a big bonus!!
The second visit (dinner) we went with the plate of the day and the thali plate. This is by far the way to go. The price is right

fimct
fimct

100% vegan - a great find!

4 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2009

We stayed in El Raval (the neighbourhood just the other side of Las Ramblas from the Gothic Quarter) and were plesantly surprised to find the Hospital Street branch only about a 5 minute walk away: it's very central.

We went there twice and were overjoyed to find somewhere that was 100% vegan - no having to check the ingredients etc. It was all just so easy - the staff who served us spoke good English and were friendly, and the service was very quick.

The food itself was ok - I had the lasagne which was a bit odd - it was not the pasta / "meat" / tomato sauce/cheese sauce concoction that you normally think of as lasagne, but a strange pale mixture containing walnuts. Not unpleasant, just not what I'd call a lasagne. The chocolate cake I had for pudding was very strange tasting and a bit dry - actually I couldn't finish it as it was so strange - I think it had cinnamon in it which really didn't go with the chocolate. That said, my husband's milkshake was very good, and the other things on the menu (we both had the plat du jour) sounded delicious - if we'd been there just for a snack we'd have loved to have tried the tofu sandwiches and some of the juices. It's great that raw foodies can eat here too - this must be unique?

The atmosphere was quite relaxed, though the restaurant was a bit noisy for me. Great for what it was - not somewhere you'd go for a romantic dinner but a godsend for vegans nonetheless.

Pros: 100% vegan, Lots of raw food available, Very central
Cons: Variable quality food, Quite noisy
Midori
Midori

Good old Juicy Jones

4 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2009

Being vegan and thrifty, I loved this place. We had about four meals here, and all were tasty. Juicy Jones has the best prices, and the most vegan choices (of course, since it is all vegan!), in town. You get an appetizer (usually a choice of soup or salad), an entree, bread, dessert, and your choice of wine or water for just under nine Euros. One of the entree choices is always the thali plate, an assortment of curries, rice, and sometimes even pakora (yum). Other options, varying by day, may include lasagne, tofu-sundried tomato pie, and vegan meatballs with sauce. For dessert, you can have fruit salad (called Macedonia), kulfi (which is fruit puree with bits of dried fruit, a large cookie that would be better if labeled as a granola biscuit (not really a moist, cookie-like cookie), and cake. Sometimes, the cake was actually good, and sometimes, it was too dry. You are not going to find vegan dessert anywhere else in Barcelona, so you might as well not complain. Otherwise, the food was all good. The environment is casual but fun, and the slow service was not very different from most other restaurants in Barcelona. Juicy Jones is non-smoking.

Pros: all vegan!, great prices, good food
Cons: slow service, dry cake
dharma77
dharma77

Nice food, dirty restaurants and slow staff

3 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2009

I live in Barcelona and I used to come to Juicy Jones very often, I mean to both locations.
The first at C/ Cardenal Casañas 7 has slow but friendly staff.I never had any problems there.The food, as many said already before is good, fresh and cheap.They have really nice smoothies,big salads and excellent menus.They are not so good on the desert side but hey you can't have everything.The thing is that last time I was there with a friend we saw 2 huge cockroaches.I know that they are in most of the restaurants next to La Rambla but it was shocking anyway.Waitress explained to us that they went through pest control and all of that but since then I haven't been there (07).
At the other location at L'Hospital I have never seen any living creatures.But I know that my friend got food poisoned after she got meal there.Bad luck I guess.As for myself I never had any stomach problems after visiting these two restaurants.
I also had unpleasant encounter with the waitresses at L'Hospital.I mean I ordered juice and it never arrived my table (I noticed it landed on the neighboring table..)and after that they tried to charge me.I explained what have happened and luckily I didn't had to pay but the situation was already weird.Another time I ordered something and I got completely different dish...
My theory is that generally the service in Spain is very bad and also considering that in all Juicy Joneses work mostly foreigners who never stay longer than probably 1-2 months there, so they never care.The other factor is that I guess they smoke too much weed, so they always forget and mix the orders.
I mean you can't be discouraged by what I wrote (I'm probably the most realistic voice here by the way)and you should try for yourself.I always enjoyed the food in Juicy Jones which is maybe not perfect or top class but generally good size portions & fresh for low amount of money.
One day I will come back there again and I will have my salad in the cockroach family company...just kidding ;-)

Pros: Fresh and good food, Big portions, Low price
Cons: Dirty restaurants, Slow and inattentive staff
Niels
Niels

(y)

4 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2009

What a great place! The location, the service, the atmoshphere, the food (well, except for the desserts), the prices...Don't expect anything fancy, but if you're looking for a cozy place with nice vegan food, this is it.

nola76
nola76

YUM!

4 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2009

I didn't go all the way into the restaurant, but sat at the juice bar, and had a tasty tofu sandwich and a delicious chocolate banana soy milkshake. The menu is extensive, and in english! would definitely go here again... in fact, it would likely be my 'go-to' spot for eats in the city.

Pros: vegan! , convenient , cheap
SagarKShah
SagarKShah

Absolutely Amazing

5 Posted on 12 / 17 / 2008

I spent four days in Barcelona and ended up eating at this places 4 times!

I am a vegan and so is my girlfriend - and this place amazed us each time we went there.

The branch on Hospital Street is bigger and nicer than the one on Cardenal Street - but a longer walk from La Rambla - and involves walking through a fairly seedy street in El Raval (its quite seedy at nice time).

Food deal is 8.50EUR for a starter (either a soup or a salad), then a main (either an indian thali or a special meal of the day), and then a dessert (either a cake, a cookie or kulfi).

The salads were amongst the freshest and juiciest salads I have eaten and the dressings were amazing. The Soups were nice and rich (one on ocassion the soups were tiny bit too salty for my liking but still tasted amazing) and come with wholemeal bread.

The mains were quite possibly the best mains I have had in my life.

The indian thali comes with three different vegetable curries (typically a mixed veg, a potato / sweet potato and a lentil based currie) - flagrant rice, and some poppadoms with really nice chutney. Honestly - these dishes weer much better than anything I have had in India. Absolutely incredbile.

The other mains weer really good too. Once I got a baked aubergine (with a really nice topping) with some spiced brown rice and a peanut satay sauce, another time some kind of pies which came with french beans and three types of pesto (green, olive, sundried tomato pesto), and another time some seitan and potato balls with tomato sauce. All really nice and tasty. Also got a vegan pizza with vegan cheese wihich was really rasty too.

Cakes weere really nice and moist.

Cookies were nice, but a bit on the sweet size and a bit hard.

Kulfi was a bit sour for my liking on one occassion but other regulars said it was normally a lot nicer.

One the last day, they gave us a packed dinner for our flight home and threw in an extra cookie for free as a present.

The waiting staff were really friendly and helpful.

I would definitely recommend this place if you go to Barcelona. I will definitely be back there if I am ever in Barelona again!

Pros: Great Value, Great Taste, Vegan!
Cons: A bit of seedy walk
Meg
Meg

YUM! Vegan food in Spain at last!

5 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2008

After a month of travelling in Spain, finding this restaurant was a godsend. We visited the Cardenal Casanas location, and the atmosphere was funky, and the food was great, especially for the low price. It was very busy when we were there, and the two staff who were serving did a great job. I only wish I could stay in Barcelona longer so that I could eat at Juicy Jones everyday!

Geoff Walker
Geoff Walker

It's good value

4 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2008

Interesting selection of reviews on JJ.
It's been on the tourist trail for years and probably rightly so. The overall opinion is - it's fairly good value.
The service (at Cardinal branch) IS awful and it's often in a mess - tables left uncleared etc.. But we've been coming here for years and the food is pretty good and good value. If you want 5 star service go pay 5 star prices.
The Hospital branch we found is quicker service......but it simply doesn't have the cachet of the original! Try it at least once in your life.
If you want "bulk" go to FrescCo; if you want "home cooking" go to SElf Naturista ; if you want something different, and you like Asian food, go to Govinda (my personal favourite); if you want a "proper" restaurant go to Unicornius. But DO try JJ!

Pros: atmosphere, friendly staff, juices
Cons: slow service, snall portions, expensive juices
Dougie
Dougie

As good as ever!

5 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2008

I'm always amazed at the quality of food served at Juicy Jones for such a low price - 8.50 Euros for a three course evening meal is great value. A choice of soup or salad to start, lasagne or thali main course and kulfi or cake to finish. Fresh juices are great too. Highly recommended.

Pros: Great food, Excellent value, Helpful staff
katiebird
katiebird

wish we had this in Ottawa!

5 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2008

went to both locations and both were great. we went at not too busy times, so I'm sure that helped. excellent food. would have liked to eat everything on the menu!

Pros: delicious food, all vegan menu, Funky atmosphere
jamieqroberts
jamieqroberts

great food + inexpensive

5 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2008

Ok, so the decor is a little strange, and if you hit the right frequency with your voice you can really set the whole room vibrating (the main eating room is a bit like a cave), however, the food is great and the price is right. Vegans will not be disappointed!

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff

Yes, go to C/Hosptial 74 location off Las Ramblas

3 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2008

This is a great place for wonderful juices and has great vegan options! However, I agree with many of the other posts- the service at the Cardenal Casanas restaurant unfortunately is poor during the busy lunch crowd. It is common to wait 15-20 minutes for a menu (unless you grab one yourself) or have your food served without utensils. One server in particular is unfriendly and unprofessional. The restaurant understaffed, as one reviewer wrote, and I did see that both restaurants are hiring wait staff. If you go to the Cardenal Casanas location, I would recommend going around 11 or early afternoon and avoiding peak hours of 12-3:30PM.

The Carrer Hospital location's atmosphere is much more welcoming, the staff are more pleasant and organized, and your order is brought in a timely manner. I was so glad to find Juicy Jones while in Barcelona, but will visit the Carrer Hopsital location in the future.

Overall, I give it 3 cows due to the service.

Pros: Raw options-great juices!, Vegan, 2 locations & hours
Cons: Service at Casanas location
sport
sport

Hope that you like salt

2 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2008

Way too heavy on the salt. Almost to the point of making it inedible.
They are not too careful about making sure that you get what you order. Out of 3 trips there we only got what we ordered once and they had to be told to remove it from the bill. On last visit we ordered 5 tapas and 2 juices (carrot and orange). They had no salsa (we wanted one each) so my friend then ordered the roasted peppers and they did not have it either. We had to go to the counter to remind them that we had ordered juices. The juice girl was constantly eating or drinking. The waitress had a chat with her and she began to make juice which was then taken to the table next to us (she had forgotten their's as well). When we finished eating and got up to leave she still had not began our juices.
I would still have to go back there because it is the most suitable place for RAW but I would hope that they reduce the salt and train the staff better.

Pros: Raw, Bright, Lively
Cons: Salty, Careless

LOVE this place!

5 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2008

We were recommended here by someone in a tattoo parlour & we loved it so much we visited twice in two days. The 3-course meal of the day is amazing value (8.50euro) - I had gazpacho and thali and it was one of the best meals I've ever had. The salads are nice, but not as good as the thali. Amazing place.

Pros: amazing food, good value, great atmosphere
heygeorgie
heygeorgie

An old favourite

5 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2008

This is the second time I've been in Barcelona and relied on Juicy Jones for a great vegan meal and cool atmosphere. I feel comfortable eating here alone as well as with my husband and 4yo son (both omnivores). The set menu (3 courses for EUR8.50) is generous and delicious and the place is reliable for a great lunch or dinner. The first course is usually a choice of a couple of soups or a salad. The soups are mostly cold, as is traditional here. The main course is usually a choice of a more european style dish such as vegan lasagne, or a thali (curry platter). Order both right away, and then choose your dessert when you're done with the main course. The cakes are moist and yummy, though the Indian pudding was my son's favourite.
It's also nice to be able to get a reasonably priced glass of wine or beer with one's meal.
For kids, you could share the thali plate (which includes mixed curries, rice and side dishes) or try them with the tofu and satay sauce, although the latter is a little spicy. from the a la carte menu, the salads look very generous and the side dishes provide a great vegan experience of the traditional spanish tapas.

Pros: Fast service, generous portions, friendly for singles
Cons: can get noisy
Merciless666
Merciless666

How can anyone NOT love this place??!!!

5 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2008

The only thing i would blame this place for is it's location in Bercelona and not arround my very corner in Berlin ha,ha! No honestly i always go there, if i happen to be in Barcelona and actually JUST there. You might be right about the service. Just bring some patience and time and you won't be dissapointed the food is changing a lot and their smoothies rule the world!! I always wlked out satisfied with an nearly exploding belly.
Convince yourself!!!

Pros: Best location, reasonable prices, good deal
Cons: slow service, not in Berlin
am22ssj
am22ssj

Delicious!

5 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2008

This is a great little vegan place that was right down the street from my hotel off La Rambla. I tried the thali and the squash pancakes with lovely house salads. Fresh guacamole, hummus... the smoothies were pure yum! I hate a chocolate and banana one. This was my favorite vegan place in Barcelona. The decor was bright and lively. Notice the animal rights and pro-veg stickers places along the bar edge in the entrance and the restrooms when you head towards the dining area downstairs. I even bought a bottle of vegan organic wine from them and they opened it for me to take with me

Pros: Excellent Vegan Food, Reasonably Priced, Very nice staff
Stevie
Stevie

Juicy Jones, Barcelona

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2008

When I first went to this joint a few years ago I thought great food was spoiled by service that could have been a bit quicker. I have absolutely no complaints now. I was 3 times over New Year. I liked the thali so much that I had it on 2 occaissions. The freshly made juices were sensational. No issues with the service and the prices were very reasonable.

There are a lot of great places to eat for vegetarians in Barcelona - this 1 is now my favourite in Barca.

It's just off La Rambla right near Liceu metro.

Pros: Vegan veggie friendly, Great food and value
Martinicus
Martinicus

Awful food, filthy restaurant

2 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2008

Went here on the back of the positive reviews here and elsewhere and rapidly wished I had not. The place was filthy and looked as if it hadn't been cleaned ever if at all. The 'waiter' was a waste of space that couldn't be bothered serving us in any capacity or clean up any of the detritus laden tables around us, so we ordered from the counter instead. MUCH later, they delivered a barely cold insipid beer to me and some room temperature water to my girlfriend. This was followed by some stale cold tofu, some bread and some inedible tapenade. The condiments were as filthy as the floor and surrounding tables and so there was olive oil and balsamic vinegar all over them - I took it upon myself to clean them before we used them as our useless waiter was busy hiding somewhere. I went and collected 10-20 napkins from the counter and ended up using almost all of them to clean the olive oil and vinegar bottles and their tray. Needless to say, we refused to pay for the vile food and won't ever return there.

Places like this give a bad name to vegetarian/vegan restaurants...

Cons: Filthy, Inedible food
Haggai
Haggai

FUN!

4 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2007

Went to the Hospital branch.
A fun and lively place, with a young vibe. Both vegan friendly and English friendly.
Service is great, the juices original (just take anything weird), and the food tasty enough.
I recommend.

Pros: Good and healthy food, vegan friendly, Atmosphere
kamikazekid
kamikazekid

Great food, not so great service

4 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2007

Juicy Jones was a god send when we visited Barcelona and we ate there quite a lot. The food was great (more so the lunch options) but as a few other reviewers have pointed out the service leaves quite a considerable amount to be desired. If you're in no hurry it's not so much of a problem but when you want to eat and get out it's very frustrating.

Pros: Good snacks and lunches, Reasonably priced
Cons: Bad service, Standard of evening meals
michal
michal

WWWOOOOOWWWW!!!!

5 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2007

i went it in there SO EXCITED for my extremely long-awaited meal since i've known & heard so much about juicy jones. i was there for lunch so i didn't want something very big so i ordered a salad and it was SO BIG- for sure the biggest salad i've ever ordered. it was also really delicious but i couldn't finish it :( the juices i got there were also delicious, there's a pretty wide selection of things that you can order to be juiced or put into your smoothie which is great. i ordered a sandwich when i was there a third time & i made it dissapear from my plate in seconds. i love this restaurant / juice bar. i will for sure go back there and i recommend no one to leave barcelona before experiancing juicy jones.

Pros: lots of juice options, friendly staff, delicious & healthy
innermoonlight
innermoonlight

Preferred the newer restaurant round the corner

3 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2007

In Barcelona we visited both branches of this cafe. The juices were delicious and sandwiches and salads nice too. Especially god for vegans or those on raw food diets. Don't go here if you're the kind of person to get annoyed by ingredients not being available or slow service though - just enjoy the relaxed atmosphere.

Pros: Nice for fresh fruit and veg, Hip atmosphere
Cons: Slow service/lack of ingeredients, not so good for cooked, heavy meals
kyvegan
kyvegan

All vegan Barcelona dining

3 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2007

During my week in Barcelona, this is the only place I could find that touted a 100% vegan dining experience. The sandwich I had was beyond delicious, but be aware that the menu is fairly limited. If you are looking for a hearty meal, you'd be better off at Vegetalia down the street. If you just want some juice and a (not-so-quick) sandwich, this is a perfectly serviceable option. I was a bit disappointed in the "shakes" which just seemed like soy milk with some chunks of banana and coconut mixed in. But maybe it had better consistency at its outset, as it had been forgotten by our waitress and took about 30 minutes to arrive at our table. The staff seemed a bit disorganized all around as we were interrupted 3 or 4 times with various servers bringing other peoples meals to our tables. But, seriously, the sandwich was ridiculously good so I didn't really even mind. I do, however, suggest as getting as close to the air conditioner on the bottom level of the restaurant as you can. It gets H-O-T in the restaurant during summertime.

Pros: yummiest sandwiches!, claims to be 100% vegan
Cons: bad service, limited menu, stuffy/humid dining room
kbdragon
kbdragon

Mixed feelings...

3 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2007

Well, the juice was delecious! But it took forever to get it and the bill also. I was with 2 others, and between the 3 of us ordering juice to go and paying for it, I think we were there for at least 45 minutes.

Pros: good juice
Cons: slow....slow....sloooooww

not so great

2 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2007

I don't know what you guys go on about
This place ain't funky and the staff is amazingly bad.
I told them about my allergies. They said I could eat anything. Never again!

eg0001
eg0001

Go to C/ Hospital location!

3 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2007

Wow - what an interesting place. We went to Juicy Jones on C/ Casañas for a well-portioned/priced vegan lunch. The main entrance is a juice bar and the cave-like restaurant area is downstairs. Food was okay. I ate the Thali plate and a couple of desserts (dry/stale chocolate cake and a rock-like almond cookie). Service was sketchy, but since completely vegan restaurants are rare in Spain, I figured it was worth a return visit for dinner. When we returned for dinner, the staff informed us that the restaurant was closed, but the juice bar was still open....unless we ordered a complicated drink, then the juice bar was closed as well. They gave us directions to a different Juicy Jones on C/ Hospital and said they might still be open. When we asked what time the other location closed, the answer we got was something like, "It depends on who's working. If it were me, we'd be closed." So we took our chances. Luckily, the C/ Hospital location was still open, and the service was much better there! The staff was really friendly and the ambiance was much more cheerful. They were, however, out of certain food items, but we had planned on eating light anyway. Overall, Juicy Jones is okay. On my next visit to Barcelona, I'll know to go directly to the location on C/ Hospital. Although the staff may be interchangeable within the two locations, at least the latter is a much more pleasant physical location.

Pros: all vegan, two locations
Cons: sketchy service
rfgrove
rfgrove

Good food - understaffed

3 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2007

The menu offers an interesting variety, ranging from ordinary to very good. Juices are fresh are tasty. There were never enough servers on duty, however, so service was often slow, though not the fault of the servers. I'd still go back.

TexasVegan
TexasVegan

The polar extremes of these reviews are wild

4 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2006

My girlfriend and I have eaten at Juicy Jones maybe 6 to 8 times. Each time, we get different meals and try each others, so I've effectively eaten there twice as many times. I'm kind of amazed to see the reviews in which people claim the food (and for that matter the decor) are terrible, but I'm equally amazed at those people who site this as one of the best vegan restaurants in the world. My opinion - the fresh juice, smoothies and shakes are as good as you'll find anywhere. I particularly enjoy the shakes. I've had a few sandwiches - they're pretty good and the price can't be argued with. The Thali plate is always great - never been disappointed. The only possible con to the thali plate is that it isn't very spicy. The menu del dia - the soups are decent. The entrees are hit or miss. The deserts generally leave something to be desired. (for good vegan deserts in Barcelona I recommend Bioasis). Personally, I find the decor fun and cozy. It seems silly to me that people are offended by psychedelic decor in a vegan restaurant. There is only ever one waitress and she's almost always swamped with customers - so the service is slow even by Spanish standards. They speak both Spanish and English fluently. The biggest knock on the place is that they are often out of ingredients. In conclusion, Juicy Jones is a solid little vegan joint - nothing more and nothing less.

Pros: inexpensive, entirely vegan, english speaking
Cons: often out of ingredients, slow service
friendmole
friendmole

No biggie

3 Posted on 11 / 20 / 2006

After reading all the reviews we were expecting a bit more.
We had two meals there and weren't too impressed.
The onion soup has no flavor, do not try the tofu quiche!!!, thali plate is ok, the salads are not too exciting...
On the whole, the food is no big deal, the service is sloooooooow.

Pros: cheap, 100% vegan
Cons: slow service, run out of many items
cheggle
cheggle

Fantastic place!!

5 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2006

I love this place! Ate there loads during 3 days in Barcelona, and my non-vegan boyfriend liked it too. The menu was 7.75 Euros and had a starter (salad / soup), main dish and dessert. Main dishes are always a 'thali' - big metal plate with rice, curries, dhal, chutney and bhaji. Mmmmm! Also had paella there and great sandwiches. Can recommend the tofu boccadillo and verde boccadillo. Enjoy! Service was good, but we were there mid-week. Maybe busier at weekends?

Pros: Fantastic food, Helpful staff, Cheap!
sparkly_ruth
sparkly_ruth

Gorgeous food & a bargain too!

4 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2006

We spent two days in Barcelona & ate there both times, food was gorgeous, but as previously mentioned quite a lot service is quite slow & they forgot to bring us a couple of items (just as well as we'd overordered anyway!). It is well worth waiting for though, and the menu of the day is unbelievably good value. My boyfriend, a meat lover, loved the food as much as I did. Definitely go there, but don't go in a rush!

Pros: Great food,friendly staff, Healthy, Fab location
Cons: Slow service

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Juicy Jones - Cardenal: