A popular restaurant with a small but varied menu of salads, soups, vegetable tarts, ragouts over rice, desserts, and organic wine. Homestyle cooking. Small, well-lit and inviting space. Confirmed open as of Dec 07. Open Mon-Fri lunch only. Weekend dinner by appointment. Price: Moderate more-less
French, Wine
2 Rue Truffaut (Metro: Rome or Place Clichy)
Paris, France 75017

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by marisyl
Veggiebrookie
Veggiebrookie
  • fruititarian

home cooked yum!

4 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2012

We both really enjoyed this place. Very quiet, very healthy and very fresh. It was just down the road from our hotel. It was pretty cheap too! We felt really good after the meal, and very full! big portions. Although it was nothing new, it was good home cooking!

Pros: Big portions/good value, friendly service, Super healthy!
Cons: Nothing new
froekenlisa
froekenlisa

Homey comfort food

3 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2012

It's my last day in Paris and I was happy there is a veggie place just around the corner where I am staying. I actually thought if it comes to vegetarian/ vegan places, they'd be far off (e.g. Place de la Bastille has many around but it's a 38minute ride on the m├ętro), so I was glad to discover Joy in Food on Montmartre.

I got the plat du jour, which was vegan, and very yummy. It consisted of different grains, rice, a small raw carrot salad, a potato-patty, a little ratatouille and a few other cooked vegetables.

It wasn't special, yet very filling and overall comforting. I liked that it was organic and seasonal, so I can't complain.

In fact, I wish we had such places in Berlin. Where you can get comfy homecooked food, we either have fancy (vegan) restaurants or fast food places, but if you want something easy, it's not there.

So, I'm glad these places exist in Paris as, narrowing it down, their dishes would be what I would make myself (or similar). It's good to know that you can continue your cruel-free and healthy diet even when you're staying in Paris, so all is good.

Although the dish was a little bland and I missed more possibilities of seasoning than gomasio, salt and pepper, it was all in all a good lunch.

Pros: healthy , organic, comforting homemade-style
Cons: few vegan options, a little bland
vegsdnjoms
vegsdnjoms

First vegan day in Paris

4 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2011

We are staying in a hotel near Montmartre and were browsing for a vegan restaurant nearby. Great luck that we discovered "Joy in Food", very comfortable atmosphere, food is excellent (vegetar. & vegan) and healthy. After starter and main course we were filled up and could not make it for dessert. People there are very friendly. Menu (starter + main course) was 13 EUR, very reasonable, drinks are roughly 3 EUR each (wine, cidre, ...)

Pros: healthy food, good taste, good pricing

estefinparis
estefinparis

Cosy spot for healthy food

4 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2011

Joy in Food is located on a quiet street of the 17th arrondissement, away from the tourist areas. The restaurant is warm and welcoming, full of plants and personal objects, with a slight Mediterranean touch in the colours and decor. As for the food, it is quite simple, but fresh and healthy, as well as tasty. Most dishes are a combination of grains and vegetables. A beautiful display of cakes welcomes you as soon as you enter but alas, none of them are vegan. At first I was told that the crumble was vegan, but after triple checking with the lady she admitted that there was a "tiny amount of butter in it", which was a bit irritating, but other than that my experience here has been very good. Juices, teas, coffee and soy milk are also available.

bsn
bsn

Organic, healthy food. Complex flavours, no.

2 Posted on 01 / 22 / 2011

For a restaurant that advertises itself as serving French cuisine, the food is does not really offer any complex flavours that come from elaborate preparation. The wine list is also extremely limited, and rather unspectacular.

However, if you're looking for simple, but healthy food with an emphasis on organic ingredients, this is the place for you.

The ambience is very cosy: small unadorned tables with short chairs; a kitchen that is an intimate part of the restaurant with the various aromas filling the tiny room. The owner/hostess very friendly, even if communication was a bit limited (in my case) since she speaks absolute no English.

Pros: Cosy ambience, Friendly service, Organic food focus
Cons: Not elaborately prepared, The owner doesn't speak English, Very limited wine list
Clare Wilkinson
Clare Wilkinson

Simple, delicious, healthy lunch

5 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2009

A lovely lunch! Very relaxed atmosphere, feels like home. No background music or smoke, just gentle buzz of chat. I chose the vegetable tart, which came with a great selection of salads, dahl and bulghur. Then an apple, cinnamon and date tart and coffee. Simple, delicious and healthy!

zetetic
zetetic
  • herbivore

unexciting, but healthy

3 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2008

I went for lunch and had some combo plate that consisted of several vegetable and quinoa dishes. It tasted like something I could easily make at home with a couple of vegetables and a package of quinoa. It was completely uninteresting. My mouth gets more excitement from a falafel sandwich. But it was healthy, fast, and best of all, vegan. I just don't think I'll be going back.

Pros: healthy, fast, tasted alright
Cons: can easily be made at home, uninteresting
louis
louis

Joy in Food indeed

4 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2008

As other visitors have said, a welcoming and homely atmosphere. Very friendly and helpful proprietor. Joy in Food is open for lunch week days only. Prices are very reasonable. Plenty of vegetarian options with a vegan option available for each course. I enjoyed a tasty main dish of various grains and veggies plus a yummy vegan apple crumble for dessert. Decent wine available. My non veggie friend had never eaten veggie in Paris before and was pleasantly suprised by the tasty salad starter and omelette main course and as a local resident is looking forward to returning.

I would go back. If I recall correctly, three courses was under 20 euro. Excellent value.

Pros: tasty food, decent vegan dessert, great atmosphere
Cons: closed weekends
gigi1033
gigi1033

This was a super good place

5 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2008

we both liked it alot, but it seemed to be hard to find, but i guess cus we were only in Paris for 5 days. Yum.

juliej
juliej

fantastic

4 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2008

We really liked this place and had a lovely lunch. It is just 1 lady who does all the cooking fresh. We had omlette & curry bubble & squeak served with lots of different fresh salad. Absolutely charming.

Pros: fresh tasty food, nice service
jennybe
jennybe

Still open, still Terrific

5 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2007

Just got back (late Nov 2007), they are happily open, we had a GREAT lunch, though they are only serving lunch Mon-Fri, dinner and/or weekends by appointment only. Very nice plates of grains, veggies, savories, well prepared, friendly atmosphere, very tasty and interesting. Awesome desserts. Good home cookin'!

Pros: delicious, friendly, quaint/special
Cons: only open lunch, only open m-f
marisyl
marisyl

Charming neighborhood boite

4 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2007

We spent a week renting an apartment in the charming Batignolles neighborhood in the 17th Arrondissement, and were pleased to find Joy in Food nearby. It is popular, and we had lunch there twice; we were the only Anglos there. The proprietor works very hard, providing a small but good menu of salads, soups, and the specialty, vegetable tarts, also ragouts over rice. The homemade desserts are worth ordering, fruit tarts mainly. There is a small organic wine list.
The restaurant ambience is warm and welcoming, with lots of light from the windows and plants as decor. It is small, but this only adds to the atmosphere of sharing good food with a variety of other vegetarians.

Pros: well prepared food, charming atmosphere, friendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Joy in Food: