Serves meat, veg options available. Old-world Italian restaurant established in 1908. Introduced an entirely vegan menu in 2010 that includes in-house-made seitan, vegan bruschetta, garlic bread, vegan cannolis, and more. Dedicates half of kitchen and utensils to vegan dishes. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Italian, Non-veg

First Review by nailina
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

excellent vegan Italian

4 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2013

We prefer to patronize all vegan establishments, but based on a recommendation, we came to John's after a long day of sightseeing. Their awning out front already says vegan on it and they bring the separate vegan menu without asking. As I was parched, they refilled my water as quickly as I drank it. I was very pleased. They are white tablecloth and cash only, so make sure you bring enough money. The service is attentive and friendly. We also had beer and wine. We ordered a side of garlic bread to go with our entrees of vegan ravioli with marinara (alfredo is an option too) and the seitan alla Rosa. It was lovely to have good Italian food. For dessert, we got the panna cotta and a cannoli. Delicious! I'm so glad we went as the recommendation was spot on.

Pros: excellent Italian food, nice atmosphere, attentive service
Cons: cash only, not all vegan
angelaxvx
angelaxvx

Worth trying

4 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2012

My husband and I visited the restaurant and were so impressed we went back 2 more times in a 1 week time span. All of the vegan food is delicious and the staff is very attentive. I must say, it is the only restaurant in NYC that refills your water in such an impressive manner.

Pros: Delicious food, Attentive staff
Cons: I wish it were all vegan
nailina
nailina

awesome vegan menu!!

4 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2012

I went here with my non-veg family because it has both traditional italian and vegan italian, each with their own separate menus.

We all loved the food (I loved my veg items, they loved their non-veg). I got the vegan bruchetta for an appetizer, which was awesome, and my non-veg family agreed- they loved it too! I also got the vegan eggplant parm, which was so good. They even have vegan cannolis, vegan icecream, and other desserts as well.

This is a great place to go to with non-vegans who aren't willing to try a vegan restaurant, because both options are available, and both menus are really good

Pros: separate vegan menu, bruchetta, nice atmosphere and staff

Dear Owner and Manager of John's of 12th Street: