Johan Nystrom

Serves meat, veg options available. Johan & Nystrom is a coffee and tea cafe by the sea. Offers light food, sandwiches, and a selection of raw vegan cakes. Ask to verify that cakes do not contain honey. Has wi-fi. July 2014 reported it's now known as Cafe Kokko - please confirm and let happycow know. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Organic, Finnish, European, Juice bar, Non-veg
Kanavaranta 7C
Helsinki, Finland 00160
+358-406619696

Open Mon-Fri 8am-6pm, Sat-Sun 10am-6pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by minnahb
minnahb
minnahb

Yummy vegan raw cakes and soy milk coffees

4 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2013

Located a bit outside the centre on the "Katajannokka" island, we probably would never had found Johan & Nyström's without a tipp by a friendly blogger.

As my hubby is a total cakeaholic, we wanted to test J&N despite only having 24 hour stay in Helsinki. Within those 24 hours we ended up going there twice, so that should say it all.

Best coffee (latte) I have ever drunk outside Ethiopia. They mix & rost their own coffee daily. Soymilk available!

All the cakes are raw & vegan. With 6-7 choices daily we were already slightly overwhelmed. Ended up trying "Snickers", sea-buckthorn-cheesecake and lingonberry-cheesecake. Everything was delicisious, and although the slices seemed quite small (for my German hubby), through their heavy structure they actually had the exact right size.

Pricing was ok for Finland. In the summer you can sit outside and enjoy the seaview. And if you liked your coffee very much, as this actually is a roastery, you can take it with you home! J&N also sell tees in dozens of varieties.

Pros: Excellent cakes, Very friendly staff, Sea view from the terrace in the summer
  • minnahb minnahb

Update:

Upon the info I got from Sulotar I contacted Johan&Nyström, and got a friendly reply very quickly:

At some point in some of the cakes they have used honey, but when we were there in July all of them were vegan.

Such a relief. But to be safe, if you do not use honey, please check with the staff when you go there! :)

• minnahb minnahb

Thanks a lot for the comment, Sulotar! That is quite unbelievable and annoying. I thought I do not need to check the ingredients, as the waitress very clearly responded to my question that all the cakes are vegan. My bad, obviously, to trust people. :(

• Sulotar Sulotar

I agree the place has the best coffee in Helsinki and I was also told by the staff that all the cakes were vegan. But when I looked through the list of ingredients I found out -to my great disappointment- that the sea-buckthorn-cheesecake was actually the only cake without honey in it!

I really liked the coffee and the sea-buckthorn-cheesecake but felt quite bad about the fact they had been telling customers all the cakes were suitable for vegans without finding out first what it actually means..

Dear Owner and Manager of Johan Nystrom: