Jing Fun Veggie Cafe

Bejing coffeehouse and vegetarian food cafe located in a quite area, on the ground floor. Offers in-house-made tempeh (fermented soybean) and western cuisine. No onion, garlic, onion, or egg. Has wi-fi. Chinese name: 净饭素食西餐厅, address: 北京海淀区万柳中路碧水云天底商, 海淀国税局西. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Western, Chinese
Wanquanzhuang Rd, Bi Shui Yun Tian Building (Haidian District)
Beijing, China
+86-10-82565205

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by enRoute
proper or pompous?
proper or pompous?

good quality

Posted on 05 / 11 / 2013

went here with a friend that lives in beijing. the vegetable dishes we ordered tasted fresh, and the spicy chicken was top notch. plus, none of the dishes were greasy meals.

Pros: good food
Cons: not all vegan
Minni
Minni

Wouldn't go there for the pizza

Posted on 05 / 01 / 2013

Despite the address, the restaurant is not on 万柳中路, it's actually on 万泉庄路, which is a side street from 万柳中路.

I actually found it annoying that we were only offered the English menu, since it complicated things. The waiter didn't know English, so ordering from an English menu was difficult. At last we were able to make our order and were eagerly anticipating the vegan pizza, since they said on the menu that they make their own vegan cheese.

However, the pizza was a disappointment! It was small for the price (over 80 RMB!) and utterly dry. No cheese to be seen anywhere. The taste was ok but this was no pizza, seriously. Maybe other dishes at this place are better.

The dessert vegan ice-cream tasted ok, but the portion was really small for the price.

Pros: vegan ice cream, attentive staff
Cons: not good value for money, dry pizza, not all vegan
enRoute
enRoute

Utterly amazing... get off the internet and go NOW

Posted on 04 / 14 / 2013

Score another one for the Cow - a BIG one.

Any exasperation I may have felt with the original author for the map marker being a few blocks off instantly melted away when I realized what a gem of a place this was, knowing that I would have never found it otherwise.

It's funny, reading through Beijing reviews I've found a few points keep coming up. Well, if you're tired of over-oily or greasy food, come here. If you've had your fill of encyclopedia-sized menus with dishes like "Wispy Morning Dew Meat with Cicada Shavings" and want a straightforward menu in English, come here. If you're tired of unimpressed or spaced-out servers, get on over. If you're tired of the same Chinese dishes and want some western stuff, Veggie Table isn't your only option.

To clarify, they have a FULLY English menu, one of the few I've seen in local V-restauraunts. At least one server speaks passable English, though it's really not necessary. I had some of the best Kung Pao Chicken ever (called, more simply, something like "spicy chicken cubes.") Delectable peanut-encrusted asparagus. Several other very nice dishes, though a few weren't available when I was there, such as the fresh tempeh which they said would be ready the next day. The one thing you won't find is the crazy 500 or 1000 Yuan gimmick dishes you see in other restaurants; the place is very straightforward and down-to-earth.

They also have vegan ice cream and plenty of other options. In the menu they identify (quite adorably) as a "quasi-vegan" restaurant and state that they have only 11 lacto dishes... they're clearly marked on the menu.

Oh, and the decor? Just great. You have to see it to know what I mean. Creative, fun spaces with lots of nooks and crannies.

The big downside the location: it's close to just about nowhere, but accessible to everywhere. I oriented myself Bagao Station, but you could just as easily walk from Renmin U. station. The first time I went I was walking from the Summer Palace, which was a lot less pleasant/doable than it looked on the map. Still pretty easy from the southern gate, just a 30-40 minute walk.

Go to this place and see for yourself. I'm surprised that other spots like Veggie Tiger, which isn't so far away, get such glowing reviews, but this place remains anonymous. It shouldn't be!

Pros: Mouth-watering, Fantastic space, Friendly, cool, fun, affordable
Cons: Location, No others

Dear Owner and Manager of Jing Fun Veggie Cafe: