Jhanjay - Ballard District

Second branch of Jhanjay vegetarian Thai food restaurant. Seats 70 patrons. A small bar with stools allows diners to watch the cooking action. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Thai, Beer/Wine
5313B Ballard Ave NW (22nd Ave NW, Ballard District)
Seattle, Washington 98107
206-588-1469

Open Mon-Fri 11am-10pm, Sat-Sun 12-10pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by ZuZu
HelenK
HelenK

Good, but not the best

4 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2013

They serve good Thai food here!

I especially like their soups, fried rice, and stir fry. If you are vegan, their pad Thai isn't the best, although there are plenty of other things to get. Another downside is that their peanut sauce isn't vegan!

They are a little bit pricier than other Thai places I have been to, but they serve good food and are also accommodating for food allergies.

You'll have good Thai food here but it wont be the best you've ever had. However, I have been here multiple times and am sure I will be back!

Pros: Decent Thai food, Accommodate food allergies, Good location
Cons: Limited parking, Pricier than elsewhere
sallyvonbutane
sallyvonbutane

Bring me more noodles, stat.

4 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2013

Teresita C.

Seattle, WA

4.0 star rating
12/29/2011
I'm so glad I waited until our second visit to write a review of Jhanjay. The first time around the food was excellent, delicious, fresh and perfectly prepared but the service was like a shoot of skunk spray right in your eye, slow, lame, awkward and so stinky it almost overshadowed the incredibly flavorful grub.

On our second visit, our super attentive server talked green papaya salad with me, (how easy it is to make at home) and was all around super. Phad Kee Mao was everything it should be, thick, rich noodles doing the backstroke in a sea of brown rich gravy, so succulent we nearly licked the plate.

My drug of choice, the green papaya salad was crisp, sharp and tangy, making me long for more, even as I ate it. Forget gambling, booze or shopping, right here is my addiction to love.

Jhanjay is walking distance for us and if we had unlimited budgets we'd eat here a couple times a week, at least.

Pros: Fresh, Local, Elegant
Cons: Parking , Slow service
Nomeatforme
Nomeatforme

Yummy and good vibe

5 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2011

Favorite veg place in Seattle so far. The dishes are good and there are many options. To top it off, the ambiance is spot on. I'm so tired of going to thai places that are simply tacky. Perhaps this is my issue only, but I personally don't want to stare at sea green and every "nic-nak" the owner has picked up over the years. This place is clean, modern, and tasteful. You can can even watch them cook the food if you desire.

My ONLY complaint would be that the soda comes from a can rather than a fountain, which means you pay $2 per drink with no refills and it's often flat. But I'm aware my soda loving needs are not a concern for most people.

Pros: Tasteful decor, Tasty Food, Clean
Cons: Parking, regular soda expensive
ZuZu
ZuZu

Aroy mak!

5 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2011

I went out for a special dinner with my sweetheart, and we were not disappointed. The food was delicious and the service was extraordinary. The decor is pretty classy for a restaurant in this price range. The staff were all so friendly and attentive, and knowledgeable about what on the menu is vegan, as well as willing to substitute. One of the cooks saw us set our menus down, and she came out from behind the line to take our orders herself! We asked for 'thai spicy' and she was happy to accommodated us, and then came out to check on us to make sure we were pleased. When we hesitated for a moment over the fried or steamed tofu, she said we could have both! We ordered the fresh rolls, the panang, and the spicy noodles. The fresh rolls and the spicy noodles were especially good. I think the brown sauce may be a house specialty, so you might want to consider it. I think this is one of those places where you have to try a lot of things on the menu to find out what you really love. I tried the other location in Wallingford, and I didn't love it as much as this one. I may have gone in with my expectations too high after reading all the rave reviews, and then sandbagged myself with a green papaya salad, which loses something if you are too far from the papaya tree. Nevertheless, the service and smiles here were top notch and I look forward to going back. My only regret is that we were too full for mango sticky rice! P.S. if you are in summer attire, you may need a sweater for the AC.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good value

Dear Owner and Manager of Jhanjay - Ballard District: