Jen Dow - Longhua Hotel

Part of vegetarian restaurant group owned by a Taiwanese company offering a slightly more upscale dining. This one is a vegetarian buffet, located next to Longhua buddist temple. Chinese name 龙华迎宾馆妙香苑, address 龙华路2787号. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Buffet, Taiwanese, Chinese

First Review by craigmc
selena
selena

Longhua Temple

2 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2013

We got there to find an extremely upscale and expensive buffet, totally empty of guests, and were quoted a price of 158Y per person. That was not in our budget or expectation today, so we didn't stick around. Might be nice to go expecting to gorge to get your money's worth, and also not be dressed in stinky jean shorts as we were quite out of place in the white tablecloth, silver chafing dishes, and tuxedoed waitstaff dining room.

Jimsan
Jimsan

My Favorite Vegetarian Restaurant in the World

5 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2012

Its a little pricey, but WELL worth the price of admission. It costs about $25.00 US per person, but you definitely get your money's worth. Its buffet style, with buffet tables all over the room where you can choose from all different styles of vegetarian food. The dessert bar is incredible. The cheesecake is to die for. The homemade chocolates are better than sex. There is even a chocolate fountain for dipping your fruit. The noodle soup bar lets you pick your own ingredients and the mushroom soup is out of this world. I've been there at least a dozen times and still haven't tried all the available foods. There's a Korean barbecue area, a Japanese sushi area, a salad bar, an ice cream freezer, coffee, tea, frozen slushies and non-alcoholic beer are all part of the included beverages. There IS an alcohol bar, but that isn't included in the price of admission. I travel for a living and have the opportunity to sample restaurants all over the World, so when I say its my favorite vegetarian restaurant in the whole world, I'm not exaggerating. Its my favorite in the whole world. Bar None.

Pros: Variety, Dessert Bar, Comfortable atmosphere
Cons: Not much English
eatinggreen
eatinggreen

MSG with no opt-outs

2 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2011

We popped in to check this place out in the hope of having dinner there later. It was about 5pm when we got there and they were preparing the buffet spread. The restaurant was still closed but we walked right in and checked everything out. It certainly was a feast for the eyes - lots of interesting things that did look nice. We then asked whether they use MSG and they said yes. In the case of a buffet, that means you either eat it or you don't. We decided not to. They did have some questionable items on offer including Haagen Daaz ice creams.. not exactly the perfect sweet treat to go with your veg meal. If you are vegan probably best to be careful as they apparently are not.

Pros: good spread of creative offerings, upscale atmosphere
Cons: MSG used, buffet format, commercial ice-creams

alex_ong
alex_ong

marshmallow served at this restaruant

2 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2009

i was surprise to see marshmallow on the large variety of dishes served. approached the staff, and the manager was quick to remove the marshmallow almost immediately. was very much impressed. but was totally disappointed that they display the marshmallow back on the second day when i re-visit.

serving a non-vegetarian food in such a good restaruant, is definetly a strong minus point to all his merits.

hope they do something about it.

Pros: good range of variety, nice atmosphere
Cons: pricey, mashmallow served, do not consume
ahimsa333
ahimsa333

Don't bother, unless you love buffets

2 Posted on 05 / 07 / 2009

This part of town is so dreary, I was sorry I spent the 45 minutes finding Jendow--only go there at night if you are driving or are taking a cab. The restaurant inside is quite nice, and the buffet is ENORMOUS, but because I had a hard time finding it, I arrived at 1:15, and was treated like I was an inconvenience. At 1:55, I was brought a few desserts (because I hadn't gotten to those yet) and at 2:00 exactly, an entire team rushed out and removed absolutely all the food within 3 minutes. This was an expensive lunch for me, 4 times what I would spend anywhere else in town, and I felt very rushed and could not enjoy it. At 2:15, the lights were turned out, pretty much asking me to leave. The food was beautifully displayed, and I liked most of it, but only go here if you love buffets, and can get there right when it opens.

Pros: Beautiful interior, Great food choices, Tasty food
Cons: Felt rushed, Poor part of town, too expensive
Sinasap
Sinasap

Best vegetarian buffet ever

5 Posted on 10 / 31 / 2008

We went there after visiting the Longhua temple. The temple is beautiful and so its a nice trip to combine visiting the temple and eating at Jendow's afterwards. Note that the Hotel is called Jendow Hotel now. When you enter the shabby yard from the street you really don't expect to find such a nice and cosy place. Huge place,you could almost get lost. Astonishingly the atmosphere is very quiet and there were not too many people when we went, mostly monks. Very clean, the staff is very friendly and attentive. Buffet set for one person is 150 rmb but worth every yuan! There is an endless choice of starters, salads, dim sum, sushi, hot dishes, dessert. Free refill of tea, juices, water and some chinese herbal teas (chinese medicine, needs getting used to). Most of the food I tried was very good. You can also choose from a selection of greens and mushrooms and hav it fried in special sauce. Also a good place to celebrate a special occasion.

Pros: Good food, Huge choice, Friendly staff
Cons: A bit expensive, A bit far away from center of Shanghai
swestrich
swestrich

Very upscale vegetarian buddhist restaurant

5 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2008

This is the most upscale vegetarian restaurant I have ever seen, by far, for 158 cny (a bit pricey), you can have all you can eat vegetarian of pretty much any vegetarian food known to the chinese, the buffet is complete to say the least, and what's even better is that you pay a set fee and you get everything, I mean everything...
Here are some things you can have (unlimited):veggie sushi, dumplings, hagen das ice cream, handmade chocolates.
They have about 10 different soups, and maybe like 100 different dishes that you choose from. The cold stuffs are on dry ice. All in all I would say they 20 dollars is a bargain per person because you feel like your dining at a 3 star restaurant.
Just be warned, eat everything on your plate, the place is run by monks and waste is very bad to them.
PS: the temple is 10 RMB per person with no hidden fees like some other temples in china, it's worth the visit, keep it mind it closes at 4:30 and the restaurant opens at 5:30 even though you can show up a little early).

Pros: Extensive buffet, Best quality I have experienced ever, great value
Cons: expensive for china
craigmc
craigmc

buffet fest

4 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2007

lunch buffet advertised at cny138(i was charged cny88), evening cny158.
upmarket taiwanese chain, very clean and looking for the business market.
large buffet, salads, individual mock meats, half a dozen soups, chinese and western dishes. food was very good, although a lot of dishes contain egg.

Pros: great selection, very clean
Cons: location, price

Dear Owner and Manager of Jen Dow - Longhua Hotel: