Java Kai Kapaa

Serves meat, veg options available. Coffee bar with vegan pastries and sandwiches and a variety of vegan smoothie options. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Non-veg

Iamcharliebrown
Iamcharliebrown

Good coffee shop in Kapaa

3 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2014

This is a decent place to get coffee with a few vegan pastries in the case. The shop coffee has non-dairy milk options (almond, soy, and full fat coconut). Prices are a bit steep compared to what I am used to at home, with an iced non-dairy latte starting at $5 for 16oz, but this seems to be the going rate here.

bavegan
bavegan

Yay!

4 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2013

Just returned from Kauai- ate here twice. The taro burger is definitely vegan! Complete with veganaise... They also have purple potato salad which is also vegan, but they were out of it whilst I was there :-( Guess I'll just have to fly back out to get it! There may have been another bbq taro vegan option, but I'm not sure...

Pros: Friendly staff
faisca
faisca

An Oasis for Early Risers

4 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2012

Ate here twice on my last business trip to Kauai, mostly because they were the only thing open at 6 am. I was pleasantly surprised! Exceptionally friendly staff, and welcoming coffeeshop atmosphere. For vegans, however, the menu choices are somewhat limited. As mentioned in the review below, a banana-macnut muffin, tomato hummus bagel (surprisingly good, though a bit heavy on the garlic), a veggie wrap (if I recall correctly), a delicious fruit cup, and a taro burger (did not confirm this was vegan). They also have a variety of smoothies and juices, though about half have dairy or honey. The two I tried were delicious! The food is very tasty. They bake everything onsite every morning. Prices are a bit high (taro burger = $12, tomato hummus bagel = $6), though nothing out of the ordinary for Kapaa.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Good Food, Consistent
Cons: Pricey, Limited Vegan Fare
sullivusb
sullivusb

Great for breakfast!

4 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2011

The Java Kai in Kapaa has great vegan smoothies, assorted pastries, and sandwiches. It is a particularly good breakfast option as it opens at 6:00 AM on weekdays, while many other places won't open until after 9:00. Their banana macadamia nut muffins were great and we had these for breakfast several times during our stay in Kawaii. The tomato and hummus bagel sounds basic, but there homemade hummus is amazing, making this sandwich a real treat. We also tried their vegan brownie but found it to be just so-so.

We visited one other Java Kai location during our stay in Kauai but did not find it to be as vegan friendly (although vegan smoothie options were still available).

Pros: open early, vegan friendly, nice atmosphere
Cons: small portions

Dear Owner and Manager of Java Kai Kapaa: