Jasmine Thai Restaurant

Serves meat, veg options available. Extensive vegetarian and vegan menu, and most meat-based dishes are available as veg by request. Uses local ingredients. Spacious, seats 80. Free wi-fi. The owner is vegan. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Thai, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Delivery, Non-veg
153 Fore Street
Exeter, England EX4 3AT
01392-689988

Open Mon-Sat 12pm-2:30pm and 6pm-11pm, closed on Sun.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by Olivia Sam
dropscone
dropscone

Tasty food, great service

4 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2014

I was treated to a birthday meal here on Thursday. We had the vegetarian starter platter to share and then shared two main course dishes.

The presentation was beautiful, with pretty carved flower and leaf arrangements on every dish. There was a slight mishap when I wondered what the flower was made out of (the leaves were obviously carrots), took a bite and it turned out to be raw potato! I think they're missing a trick by not either making those out of turnip/radish or deep frying them if they're going to use potato. A deep fried potato flower would have been the highlight of my dining year!

The starter platter was pretty good. All freshly cooked, crispy, nice dipping sauces. The samosa with mushroom was probably the highlight for me, some of the other flavours were a bit too similar, but the textures were the best part, I love crispy fried stuff and I never deep fry anything myself.

The main dishes had very nice flavours too, particularly the crispy tofu in peanut sauce. I could have done with a few more veg with the noodles, but I liked that you could customise them with little optional dishes of chopped peanuts and chilli flakes.

The service was quick and had a really genuine-feeling friendliness. I appreciated that they told me the complimentary mints at the end of the meal were vegan without any prompting.

If I go back to Exeter I would return, if only to try one of their desserts, as it's very unusual to get so much vegan choice in an omni restaurant! I couldn't quite make room this time.

Pros: Great service, Tasty, customisable food, transparent menu
Cons: A bit pricey
WGrimm
WGrimm

Great vegan friendly restaurant!

4 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2012

We've been to Jasmine Thai twice while on a week's holiday in Devon. On both occasions the food was amazing,with the Gaeng Panaeng Tao Hu (vegan thai red curry with peanut sauce and deep fried tofu blocks) being a particular favourite. The staff are very friendly and knowledgeable, and are happy to help vegetarians and vegans make choices from the varied menu. We only wish we lived closer to Jasmine Thai, because we could happily eat there on a regular basis. We'd like to give Jasmine Thai five "Happy Cows" (they deserve them), but can't as Happy Cow won't let us due to the restaurant not being purely vegetarian. We whole heartedly recommend this restaurant to anyone in the Devon area. We look forward to eating there again when we are next in the South West.

Pros: Excellent vegan food, Very friendly and helpful staff, Vegan owner gives vegans 100% confidence
Olivia Sam
Olivia Sam

Jasmine's Thai rocks

4 Posted on 01 / 17 / 2012

On a recent trip to Exeter I managaed to find Jasmine's Thai restaurant. Having struggled to find vegan food in the UK Jasmine's was a pleasant surprise. Whilst the restaurant was not completely vegetarian the owner is a vegan which meant that not only where there ample vegan choices but the staff understood the requirement of having no animal products in the food. My partner and I ended up ordering the vegetarian banquet for 2 and 3 additional dishes, knowing that we would be taking much of it home as left overs. Everything we ordered was absolutely delicious and particular favourites were the Tom Kha Hed Mushroom soup, the Panaeng Tao Hu bean curd red curry and the vegan Phad Thai noodles. I would highly recommend Jasmine's to any vegans or vegetarians visiting the area and would give it 5 cows but unfortunately the happy cow web site will not let me give above 4 cows to a restaurant that is not completely vegetarian - very sad since I think they deserve it.

Pros: great food, friendly and knowledgeable staff, nice atmosphere
Cons: none that I could see
  • JasmineExeter JasmineExeter

Thank you for the great review. We're glad you enjoyed the food :-) Jasmine Exeter

Dear Owner and Manager of Jasmine Thai Restaurant: