CLOSED: Jai

East Asian vegan buffet featuring many mock meat dishes. Costs around £6-10 for a sit-in meal, and around £5-6 for a takeaway order. Previously operated as Tai Veg. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Thai, Chinese, Buffet, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by Jemima
james317a
james317a

Tasty and healthy

5 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2011

A really great selection of Thai dishes, rice, noodles, salads and fruit. Almost too much choice.. and the 'mock meat' as some reviewers have called it is called "Tofu" (hello! where have you been living?) Definitely recommended.

Pros: Healthy, tasty food, Good choice, Very friendly staff
  • vegan mikal vegan mikal

Not all mock meat is tofu. Mock meat is made out of soy protein and wheat protein, and that is what most mock meats found in Chinese cuisine are made from.

jshah
jshah

oily, but ok

3 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2011

Super oily, Mock meat. lots of variety, but not fairly bland oily food. They do have lots of sauce options. I think they are simply trying to cater to various tastes. If you are hungry and in the area and in the mood for mock meat, you should go otherwise, I'd pick another place. Staff is knowledgable about food, very nice, and speaks english well.

Pros: mock meat, very nice staff, variety of food
Cons: oily mess, bland
manooh
manooh

Delicious vegan fast food

4 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2011

The place is listed as vegetarian here, but I is in fact vegan (according to the waitress). I really liked the place! Yes, I wouldn't want to eat that kind of fatty fast food every day, but I don't have the chance to do so anyway (I don't live in London). Being able to try tasty vegan sea food, vegan mock meats, and a wide variety of fried veges was definitely worth it for me!

Pros: vegan, friendly staff, wide variety of yummy
pinkpineapples
pinkpineapples

You could drink oil instead

2 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2011

My excitement upon seeing a vegan buffet since arriving in London quickly diminished once I arrived in this cafe.

Every dish was literally drowning in oil. they didn't even have white or brown rice available, almost everything was some sort of dried looking mock meat and essentially looked like it had sat there all day. From what I did try, I couldn't taste much but oil.

When I tried to salvage my meal by filling up on fruit salad (the only thing not drowning in oil), even that tasted terrible with cheap tinned pineapple and chalky apples.

Although it's cheap I wouldn't recommend you waste your money, the staff essentially ignored us once we got through the door.

Cons: oily foods, unfriendly staff, did not taste good
Guest
Guest

A no go zone

2 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2011

Like with all these chain of thai buffet shops they have poor hygeine conditions and the food is open to all types of bacteria. The amount of time a buffet should be on show beofre it is cleared away is 4 hours according to current hygiene laws. Some of the dishes are here all day and people handling foods and sneezing on them. Stay clear and pay a little more for something that has been prepared in a healthy kitchen. Jemima and beitme summed this place up well.

Cons: High fat, poor hygeine, poor service

wildfang
wildfang

Not the best choice in town

3 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2011

We went to this place by chance once in the summer of 2009 and helped ourselves to several plateful of food. Both of us aren't so much in love with south east Asian cuisine but that's not their fault of course. The people were quite friendly and helpful and the price was alright aswell. Only the fact that nearly everything on the buffet was cold wasn't very appealing - cold mock meat...no, thanks, really.
The salads were very tasty, though.
However, I wouldn't consider going there again.

Pros: lots of salads, reasonably cheap
Cons: a lot of cold mock meat
beitme
beitme

lukewarm, unsanitary food

2 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2010

This place offers a wide selection of food buffet style and from which you get a good amount for the price. This is the only thing going for them. I went once just soon after they opened and the food was not warm enough; a sign that its quite unlikely to be warmer even later in the day. The manner in which the food is laid out leaves the impression that sanitation isn't much of a concern. As for taste, mediocrity is the score.

Cons: lukewarm food, unsanitary
mitzi
mitzi

Soho Oasis

5 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2010

Excellent choice of tasty food, for everyone, and great value for money too. Friendly and helpful staff, can't wait to go back!

Jemima
Jemima

I didn't think of Chinatown

2 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2010

On Old Compton St just up from Maoz Falafel.
Decor is the same as other Tai Veg restaurants. (ref Golders Green listing http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=710)

I was in the area and really wanted Chinese food but didn't think about Chinatown! The buffet is the same as at other Tai Veg shops. Buffets are always a hazard as you have to rely on the other patrons observing good hygiene and even then, people with coughs and colds can only do so much. Buffets really should have glass screens over them to shield the food from people's breathing and coughing. The time I went the person in front of me had a massive cold and was using his hands to help himself from the buffet. Needless to say I ate barely anything. That's not exactly Tai Veg's fault though. The food I ate was cold.

Service was fine. The way the food is constantly stirred in to shape makes me think "don't play with food!"

At GBP7.50 it was an incredibly expensive bite.

Pros: open late
Cons: buffet not always most hygienic, cold, not sure if fresh

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Jai: