CLOSED: Jai Hind

Food is pure veg; no eggs. Clean and quiet and the very authentic food is made in small batches. Devon Avenue in Chicago is lined with many non-veg and vegetarian Indian restaurants. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Fast food
2658 W Devon Ave (Talman Ave)
Chicago, Illinois 60659
773-973 3400

First Review by steve dumperth
chicitysue
chicitysue
  • non-vegetarian

Many small, tasty dishes, not typical meals

Posted on 08 / 15 / 2010

I am not sure what Happy Cow believes is 100% vegetarian, but I believe this restaurant is. However it is not vegan as there are some foods with dairy in them such as butter and paneer.

I went there on August 14 not knowing a thing about this restaurant or food type except that it is Indian vegetarian. I had a lot of fun because the plates of food are really trays with all sorts of small snack food, probably you could compare it to "dim sum" or "tapas." I loved the dishes. My son and I each got the $7.99 assortment, but different dishes and enjoyed all of them.

Do not worry that you don't know the ingredients of the dishes (there is no English explanation), you will find enough to like with the combination trays!!! I just loved the flavors and this type of eating. Delicious.

I can't think of any cons except that it isn't "fine dining" with a quiet atmosphere. It was perfect for casual eating with a sense of fun!

Pros: Good value, Friendly staff, Fun food
steve dumperth