Serves meat, veg options available. Sushi bar and Chinese food restaurant. Predominately meat menu but will accommodate special diet requests. Price: Moderate more-less
Chinese, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
920 Johnson St (Nappanee St)
Elkhart, Indiana 46514
574-295-5858

Open daily.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by jagreene3
Krutolow
Krutolow

Not bad Chinese Food in Elkhart, Indiana.

3 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2012

See my blog Marty's Flying Vegan Review at www.martysflyingveganreview.com for full review with pics.

You can only eat so many boca burgers and salad and microwave only so many Amy's in a hotel room before you need a nice cooked meal. I had nothing to base my decision on since there were not all that many vegan options, i.e., one "vegan friendly" place. That actually means nothing as any steakhouse can be "vegan friendly" by offering a salad, so any omission foods, (meat dishes without the meat), do not vegan friendly make.

So, Jade Garden. It's a tiny place with 4 tables and on this frigid January night, a small space heater. The place was freezing and a couple, (turned out waiting for their take out food), had that little heater pointing right at their table in the corner. It took a few cups of tea to warm up my fingers. There's no vestibule so every time someone came in or left, (and there were about 8 people coming and going with their take out orders), the temperature dropped 30 degrees.

The front door, plastic on the windows, and the heater at my right elbow which you can't see pointing away from me.
I thought the menu had some vegetable soong but apparently there are two restaurants. The other restaurant, I was told, had more tables, a sushi bar, and a regular bar in addition to what appears to be the menu found online. I found out about this after I paid my bill but hopefully among that list of amenities one would have included heat.

Yes, of course I switched tables. So I could study.
I saw one vegetable dish and the waitress couldn't really tell me what was in the sauce but when I asked about chicken stock she said there wasn't any. She then pointed out a dish with tofu and veggies and suggested that so I ordered it very spicy and I confirmed there was no animal products used in its preparation. I asked about brown rice and she asked if I wanted fried rice. I'm not in New York. (I know that was a snobby thing to say but sometimes I think like a snobby New Yorker.) I asked for veggie fried rice and she said there was only scallions in it. It became apparent I wasn't going to get my custom made meal so I just said, "sure," and asked for no egg. I'm surprised I remembered that.

The fried rice was good although not super flavorful and as promised, just had brown and scallions. The tofu dish was nicely spicy but although the waitress later said it was only chili oil it had a tomato-ey, at first

Pros: small, decent food, value for sure
Cons: freezing cold, no vegan food, less than fully knowledgeable re ingrnts
jagreene3
jagreene3

friendly, but sushi not good

1 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2010

I was traveling thru Elkhart & was so excited to see a place I could pick up some sushi. When I called I was told there were two different locations with different menus at each, so I chose the location with the sushi. Very friendly folks, but it's a Chinese (American Chinese) restaurant & the sushi offerings seem to be an afterthought. I ordered the veg roll, which was a very sticky, processed white rice roll of cucumber & carrot with unnaturally-bright pink ginger. It was edible & technically veg, but in my opinion, there is little "health food" here as they advertise. Perhaps relative to the other offerings in Elkhart it is... glad I was only passing thru so I didn't have to find out. Don't know about the rest of the menu either -- sushi was my focus. No miso soup was a huge bummer too. On a more positive note, however, the folks were very friendly & the service was quick. So that gets some points.

Pros: friendly staff
Cons: limited sushi offerings, processed sushi

Dear Owner and Manager of Jade Garden: