Iydea Vegetarian Kitchen

Brighton veggie cafe with counter service. Its original cafe. Offers a variety of food including vegan cakes. Vegan lunch on Sunday. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, English, British, Western, International, Fast food, Take-out
17 Kensington Gardens, North Laine

summerwine
summerwine

Perfect for quick lunch!

Posted on 05 / 19 / 2015

I love the idea of picking my favourite main and sides when looking at them, although it's always a hard job as every single thing looks so yummy. Menu slightly changes everyday, you can check out on facebook what deiciousness they cooked for you each day. Everything's incredibly tasty (my fav-roti, beet chutney /both vegan/, my bf's fav-enchillada /vegeterian/), cakes to die for! Gets veryyyy busy in lunch time so I suggest take away and go to Paviloin Gardens nearby

Pros: cheap, variety of vegan dishes, quick
claire lille
claire lille

Brilliant cafe

Posted on 03 / 29 / 2015

Went to Brighton this weekend for the veggiefest and was lucky enough to be walking round the shops Friday morning and a local in the shop told me about this cafe always good to listen to locals so went in and was not disappointed.I had the pie, pots and veg all cooked in herbs. It was fantastic and staff were all very nice and friendly. I liked it so much went back for breakfast on Saturday morning. Must go back to Brighton for this place alone.
Many thanks

Pros: Great food, good position, Lovely staff
Rhiannon-vegan
Rhiannon-vegan

Fantastic vegan dishes

Posted on 01 / 06 / 2015

When I lived in Brighton, this was my favourite place to go for a vegan meal, out of ALL the veg restaurants in Brighton. And there is a lot to choose from.

I loved being able to see the food and choose what I wanted - everything looked so delicious and there were so many healthy dishes! I also loved having a slice of their vegan cake for a treat or a vegan cider...so good!

Pros: Delicious food , Healthy options , Nice atmosphere

melc1g12
melc1g12

yummy tiffin :D

Posted on 12 / 14 / 2014

Just a quick review to say I've bought the vegan tiffin a few times and it's really scrummy :D I've tried to stop here for a proper lunch every time I've come to brighton but unfortunately there's never a free table :( food looks delicious though - I'll keep trying!!!!

Veganessent
Veganessent

Very Good Iydea!

Posted on 06 / 20 / 2014

Just lovely place to eat! Good atmoshphere. Very busy! Good selection/ lots of choice. Perfect for a Sunday slap up. Hot bar set up so...everything is ready to eat! : D I had the Nut Roast en-croute, it was delish. Gravy was so tasty I asked for more and was kindly obliged. The service was excellent, as was the Raspberry Vanilla cake! Took a breakfast muffin in the a.m. Very clever Idyea - hot and ready to go which was great as I was running to catch the train back to London. Looking forward to returning!

Pros: Everything
Cons: I don't live closer!
mschloejames
mschloejames

Not impressed

Posted on 06 / 16 / 2014

Got lunch from here today as I am in Brighton for a conference. I got take away as it was cheaper and there weren't any tables free when I arrived. The vegan option was a lasagne, which was very nice and tasty, but none of the side options went with it. In the end I went for potatoes and roasted veg with some beetroot chutney, as well as a cup of tea. The box that my food came in was thin enough that I could feel the hot food burning my fingers through it, which made it very difficult to carry. To make matters worse, the lid on my cup of tea didn't fit properly so I kept slopping hot tea all over my hands as I was walking along. Overall not well thought out and I suspect that this packaging was chosen because it's eco-friendly rather than because it does the job. All of that aside, what I resented most is being charged 20p for soya milk in a vegetarian restaurant!! Won't be eating here again, the food isn't worth the price or the hassle.

Pros: Friendly staff, Generous portion
Cons: Not many vegan options, Hazardous packaging!, Charge for soya milk
elliediamond
elliediamond

my favourite!

Posted on 12 / 26 / 2013

This is one of my favourite places to eat! I get my lunch from here at least twice a week and I'm never disappointed! The staff are always helpful and friendly, there's always a few vegan options, it's reasonably priced and you get a good size portion. I highly recommend this place to everyone!

Pros: friendly staff, lots of choice, reasonably priced
CoralieTiffin
CoralieTiffin

I want to live in this place

Posted on 11 / 02 / 2013

In fact, I nearly did live here the week I spent in Brighton. The food is stunningly delicious, the staff are lovely and there are plenty of vegan dishes, clearly labelled and all the ingredients listed. I came here for breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea and loved every one of them. The only slight negative would be how crowded it can get, which can make it hard to get a table. However, overall, this is one of the best places I've ever eaten. Consistently fabulous. Go now.
Updated from previous review on Thursday August 23, 2012

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Fantastic value
Cons: Gets very crowded
paperbagblog
paperbagblog

Used to be A* - standards are slipping.

Posted on 09 / 22 / 2013

Used to be the best place to eat in Brighton, but lately the service has been awful - which is a shame because that was always one of the biggest selling points of the cafe, aside from the fantastic food. Have been ignored by staff and rudely told off by them for unjustifiable reasons.

Perfect for breakfast - loads of brilliant sweet and savoury options. The vegan breakfast muffin is amazing! Their cakes and tiffins are delicious, and their main courses are usually vegan-friendly, although sometimes there aren't too many to choose from. Don't expect a relaxing meal - the cafe is always very busy and turnaround is swift, but well worth a visit.

Pros: Breakfasts are brilliant, Try the chocolate tiffin!
Cons: Recent awful service, Not always vegan-friendly, Quick turnaround
Anneluren
Anneluren

A bit chaotic

Posted on 02 / 07 / 2013

I have been to Iydea twice, and found it a bit overwhelming both times. They have buffets with a wide variety of dishes, but it's a bit much to take in all at once. The staff is helpful in decoding the multitude of dishes though. And the food has been good.
My main complaint is that the place is very noisy and easily feels crowded.

fuz1987
fuz1987

Good Iydea for Breakfast

Posted on 02 / 02 / 2013

Really pleasant place in the North Laine, Brighton with a good atmosphere. Staff were friendly and helpful and the range of options was good. Alot for vegans too as most that wasn't could be made vegan. Had the Big Breakfast and a smoothie and they werent lying on the size, but it was tasty. Only problem we ever have is finding a table as it is often busy, but well worth it if you can get in!

Pros: Good Vegan Selection, Friendly Staff
Cons: Often Busy
LindaSteel
LindaSteel

One of my favorite places in Brighton.

Posted on 11 / 23 / 2012

Really nice.

trinitybourne
trinitybourne

Lovely place

Posted on 08 / 10 / 2012

This is a really lovely place... friendly staff and tasty food. Seems really good value for what you get.

There are lots of choices and everything is vegetarian with lots of vegan options. Cakes too, for anyone with a sweet tooth.

If you opt to take out, it is really good value too. I did that, since it was so incredibly full during the lunch time I visited.

Recommended. I would definitely go again and recommend this place!
Updated from previous review on Friday August 10, 2012
Updated from previous review on Friday August 10, 2012

Pros: Lots of choice, value
Cons: Too busy to enjoy lunch time sit down, Not open evenings
lh1986
lh1986
  • non-vegetarian

Brilliant food and bargain prices

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2012

Having spent a good part of two days exploring Brighton on foot and browsing numerous menus of vegetarian and vege friendly cafes I have to say Iydea seems the best. I have eaten there on two occasions now - once takeaway, once eating in. The prices for take-out are slightly cheaper but sometimes you just want to sit down in the cafe, though it can get incredibly busy around 12:30 so I'd suggest getting there early.

The ingredients are listed above the food and this is very useful for me as I have a lemon allergy and find it difficult ascertaining if it is in food. There are plenty of vegan options, these include the best vegan lasagne I have ever eaten. There is a excellent selection of side dishes and toppings, so much so that you can end up holding up the ever busy queue trying to decide!

Well worth a visit.

Pros: Food selection, Good quality ingredients, Great value
Cons: Small , Incredibly busy
Greavesy
Greavesy

yummy in my tummy

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2012

There is a reason this place is busy - it's amazing. fresh and tasty veggie food, decent prices, great variety. friendly, laidback atmosphere and helpful staff. If you visit brighton, don't leave until you try their gnocci!

rosie
rosie

My favourite veggie spot in Brighton

Posted on 07 / 11 / 2012

Does great breakfast and lunches but can get quite busy. Everything is labelled as vegan and gluten free and the ingredients are all listed (handy for those with a food allergy). Does a nice range in vegan cakes too. Can get very crowded at times though.

Pros: good range of food, great vegan cakes, friendly staff
Cons: gets very crowded
Eugene Nyunt.
Eugene Nyunt.

I rarely say nice, but I like this place.

Posted on 12 / 05 / 2011

I had lunch here quite recently for 6.50 GBP chowing down some yummy Shepherd's Pie, roasted carrots with sweet potatoes, some tomato based salad, and the entire plate topped off with a spoonful of hoummos and salsa. It was quite packed inside so I sat outside on the not too wet picnic benches. Welcoming staff and good value food, there is absolutely nothing weird or unhygienic about this place as other comments might suggest. It is a canteen style cafe after all.

Pros: Close to shopping areas., Good value food, and drinks available., Great décor.
Cons: Might be tricky to get a seat inside.
Jan
Jan

canteen style food and reasonable prices

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2010

Have been a few times and haven't been that impressed. There are lots of vegan choices and the food is always good value for money which tastes OK but never amazing. You do not choose from a menu but choose either a small or large plate and fill it with whats on offer that day from a canteen style set-up. There are hot and cold (salad) selections with choices of dressings and dips. There is large selection of fresh juices/smoothies which are good. Quite often busy and cramped seating with the possibility of ending up on a table with people you don't know. Good if you want quick food at a reasonable price.

Pros: healthy fast food, good prices
Cons: can be hectic
paola286
paola286

Best Veggie Cafe in Brighton

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2010

Fab veggie cafe with a great selection of good value, unpretentious but tasty, freshly cooked food. Great example for all the people who think vegetarians just eat lentils, tofu and salad leaves!
It would be nice if it was also open in the evenings though!

Pros: excellent food, great value, friendly staff
Cons: closed evenings
Loulou
Loulou

Lots of choice,

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2010

A counter service cafe with lots of selection and choice for vegans. Everything clearly marked with ingredients/suitability for vegans etc. It is quite small and did get pretty busy nearer lunchtime, but good value for money and great to choose what sides hot or cold you want with your main meal

Pros: lots of variety, vegan options cleary marked, tasty
Miggi
Miggi

Good idea

Posted on 07 / 12 / 2009

Do you remember Food for Friends in the good old days when you queued out of the shop to get to the counter for a plateful of good-value filling yummy bakes, veg and salads? Ahh, if you just sighed, you will really like this cafe.
We've eaten here a few times and there's usually a good choice for vegans, including the all-important sweet selection. Only had one meal we didn't enjoy - arrived between breakfast and lunch which meant there wasn't much available and the staff could probably have done with a break. Other times we have had great tasting food, good filling stuff in a real cafe atmosphere.

Pros: Vegan choices, Chocolatey-fudgy-biscuity-yummy-thing, Good value
corey
corey

The other reviews are very misleading!

Posted on 06 / 28 / 2009

Had the full breakfast. Each component had been pre-made and it seemed like several parts had been sitting for a very long time. The veggie sausages were completely dried out/rubbery and the mushrooms had also clearly been sitting perhaps overnight. The point is, none of this was freshly prepared.
BAKED BEANS FROM A TIN
SAUSAGES FROM A PACKET

While the lady serving my food did seem quite polite, I went to this place to eat food, not to pay to see her. So i dont want the people running this place to think they are bad at their jobs, they just need to learn to serve freshly prepared food. I was really honestly horrified when i saw them scooping all this stuff from metal bins behind the counter. I may as well have gone to mcdonalds. Seriously. What is the point of running a restaurant like this [edited by staff-see tos]
So beware folks. That is all i'm saying, beware.

Pros: staff nice, pretty clean, good coffee
Cons: food not fresh, food was slop, food scooped
  • iydea iydea

I'm personally very sorry to here that your expectations of iydea were not met. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we now make all breakfast components in-house as we do with our lunch. We have also radically changed the way we serve breakfast. We now serve a pick and mix, point and get breakfast which has over 25 hot and cold housemade items to choose from. Once again thank you for the feedback but please be mindful that "scooping from metal bins" is actually what we are all about. Kind regards Seb (owner)

spaine
spaine

loved everything about it

Posted on 12 / 18 / 2008

I was impressed with the many deserts i could choose from. Amazing food, maybe could of had more main meals to choose from but not complaining cos i was happy with what was on offer. Very reasonably priced i could afford it and that means its not expensive! Great atmosphere, had place up stairs too. Easy to find and had friendly staff.

Pros: great desserts, fab atmopshere, tasty and filling food
Cons: can get easily crowded
Jellykones
Jellykones

Yummy

Posted on 11 / 12 / 2008

I had the veggie cooked breakfast. It was very nice, and the portion sizes were great (so much, I couldn't finish it all!). Staff were also pleasant.
The only down side was that I didn't have enough room to try the vegan choc fudge cake.

Pros: Yummy food, Very reasonably priced, Friendly staff
spud
spud

The Best in Brighton

Posted on 09 / 22 / 2008

I have lived here all my life and i would say this is the best veggie place in town. The food is always great with a good mix and selection at all times. Staff are always nice and friendly + i'd say it's good value for your money. i will be going back again... and again... and again.....

Pros: good selection, always tasty, good value
keithpp
keithpp
  • non-vegetarian

excellent

Posted on 03 / 11 / 2008

I first ate here summer 2006 when they had just opened.

I ate there several times summer 2007.

The food is excellent and offers good value for money.

I like to sit outside, relax and watch the world go by.

One of the places to eat in Brighton.

Also worth trying is Infinity Foods and Bom-Bane's (not veggie, but serves good veggie food).

Iydea is also a BookCrossing zone.

Pros: good food, good value, nice atmosphere
Guest
Guest

Good fresh and fast food

Posted on 01 / 06 / 2008

This is a little gem of a place. Although the vegan main dishes is normally limited to one dish the veg and salad to go with it are fantastic and really fresh. I had the Hickory pie with carrots and roatsed parsnips which were great and for a fiver. A good selection of vegan cakes and soya drinks. One of the best veggie places to eat in Brighton and well worth a visit.

Pros: Fresh, Wholesome, Well priced
Cons: Vegan option/mains
sussexbunny
sussexbunny

As good as it gets!

Posted on 08 / 30 / 2007

More veggie places to eat in brighton than you could shake a stick at (one of the reasons i have moved here from london!)
Iydea is a brilliant cafe that has got everything right. It has fast counter service for take away or eat in. Interesting dishes, different each day with lots of fresh veg & salad lovingly prepared.The staff are a joy, very welcoming and friendly and added to this lunch will cost you around £5.We really look forward to going there.

Pros: happy friendly staff, fresh crisp veg , amazing value

Dear Owner and Manager of Iydea Vegetarian Kitchen: