This vegetarian restaurant in Tokyo features around 100 dishes on its menu, most items vegan. Reservation suggested. Directions: take a Sobu line train from Akihabara towards Chiba, Kinshicho is the third station, go out via the North exit, turn right and follow the railway tracks crossing the main road for about 1 minute, restaurant is on the right hand side under the tracks. Address in Japanese: 東京都墨田区錦糸4-1-9. With rest between lunch and dinner, closed Monday. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Taiwanese
4-1-9 Kinshi, Sumida-Ku (Yotsumeitori, 1 minute walk from J)
Tokyo, Japan

Dosto
Dosto

Best food in Tokyo

Posted on 01 / 12 / 2014

I visited this restaurant twice when I was in Tokyo in October 2013. Superb food, cozy atmosphere and a very friendly owner. One of the best vegetarian restaurants I have ever been to! Next time I go to Tokyo I will definitely eat here again!

Earthdiet
Earthdiet

good but strange

Posted on 10 / 30 / 2013

Strange little cafe. I liked the food a lot but found it strange to weigh my food. Small portions but tasty food and friendly staff. Really interesting vegan buffet at lunch.

Pros: tasty
Cons: weigh plate
Kristy01
Kristy01

Wonderful restaurant!

Posted on 06 / 18 / 2013

I just visited It's Vegetable for the first time with my boyfriend and I look very forward to another visit. We had a wonderful experience. Went for dinner and ordered the seasonal vegetable, which was one from Taiwan called kawa-nana. The very nice, friendly owner explained what it was and even showed pictures of the vegetable! We also ordered fried chicken, kimchi fried rice and hot and sour soup. All phenomenal! I had a fresh grapefruit sour to wash it all down. We were also given a mangosteen to enjoy at the end. We bought kimchi and 2 treats to go. Highly recommend!

Pros: worth every penny, healthy, fresh and tasty, very kind, sweet owners!!

hmscookie
hmscookie

terrible

Posted on 06 / 07 / 2013

This place is honestly the worst food I've eaten in a long time. They put no effort at all into it. I got a small plate of sweet and sour chicken and it came out not even close to the description. It was like eating pure sugar with tinned vegetables. And maybe MAYBE 3/4 of a cup of food on the entire plate. The spring rolls were just as bad. This place - avoid it at all costs. Plus the owner yelled at his employee the entire time.

Pros: none
Cons: food, owner , terrible
Aya
Aya

Many vegan dishes

Posted on 05 / 28 / 2013

The food was tasty and whenever I get a chance I will go there again.
The owner was friendly and spoke some English.

However, I fail to understand why they need such an annoying/complicated weighing system and why they can't sell the food simply by gram, without those strange weight limitations.

They have a small corner with packaged products (instant ramen, frozen soy meat, TVP etc) and there is a small health food store very close to the place (same owners, I believe).

Pros: Tasty food, easy to find, Very good value for money, One of its kind in Tokyo
Cons: Very strange weighing system
LucidDreams
LucidDreams

nice buffet

Posted on 04 / 08 / 2013

Nice restaurant with dishes from Taiwan. We tried the buffet. Most of the dishes were vegan. The system of weighing the food felt a bit complex but other than that the food was good.

Pros: good food, lots of vegan options
Cons: complex weighing system
untemperedhope
untemperedhope

My Favorite Restaurant!

Posted on 03 / 12 / 2013

It's Vegetable is an absolutely amazing restaurant. The food is delicious and varied, the restaurant intimate, and the staff very friendly! The owner recognized my friend and I each time we returned and would often send us off with gifts of vegan brownies or other treats. The fake meat is, by far, the best I've ever had. It gets very crowded in here around lunch time! The restaurant is very close to the station. Highly recommended!

Pawness
Pawness

Great Taiwanese Veg place

Posted on 05 / 30 / 2012

We went for the lunch "buffet" - it sort of is, tho' you must weigh you dish and the owner keeps an eye on you. Just tell him you will pay for anything over and he will relax. Having said that, the food was very good! Lots of tasty soy meat Chinese dishes, good number of choices, every dish was really tasty and satisfying. They also have lots of frozen food to go and veg ramen and soy meat bits to buy. Nice guy, good food, lots of English available. We will be back! By the way, exit 5 has now changed and if ou follow the escalators all the way up to street level (thru the Lotte building and past shops and restaurants) you will this this restaurant across the street as you leave the escalator on street level. Easy!

Pros: Great food and all vegetarian, Easy to find, Lots of choices and in English!
Cons: The weigh- it buffet at lunch
BrightSide01
BrightSide01

Good restaurant w/ lots of "veggie meat" options

Posted on 05 / 19 / 2012

This is my second all vegetarian/vegan restaurant I've visited since arriving to live in Tokyo. The staff was pretty friendly, and even spoke some English and Korean to me! (my two native languages)

I came for the lunch buffet, and there was indeed a wide variety of food, and most of it was really good. Like previous reviews say, the buffet is NOT "all you can eat". In fact, it is the OPPOSITE. They are VERY stingy with the amount of food you put on your plate, so be careful about that.

On the other hand, I suppose it's understandable they don't want you to take too much food, although some people may be frustrated about that. Still good food at a fair price.

Pros: Wide variety of good food, Close to the station
Cons: A bit pricey, Stingy w/ amount of food at buffet
Matabara Soaurus
Matabara Soaurus

lunch in Kinshicho

Posted on 08 / 17 / 2011

Kinshicho is interesting, old men gambling, right wing sound trucks, heaps of filipino hostesses wandering around. Its also good for thai and chinese massage, reasonably priced and good professional quality. there is also this great little restaurant called its vegetable. North side of JR entrance, turn right, cross the big road and its about 200 metres down on the right. Its an older building and is not sophiticated or trendy at all. I did lunch which is a buffet style, you pay for a plate and then fill it up with the things you fancy. they also have an a la carte in the evening. its fairly small, maybe seats about 20 all up. The owners were quiet but enjoyed chatting in japanese after initial introductions. the food was delicious, and I had arrived late, but it was still good. the soup in particular was heaven. You know you had good vege food when you eat a lot but dont feel full. This lady is a great cook.

Pros: kinshicho, taste, atmosphere
Cons: kinshicho
sweet potato
sweet potato

Won't be going back.

Posted on 06 / 24 / 2011

I was very disappointed with my dining experience at It's Vegetable. They used to be eat-all-you-can, then they changed to fill your plate up only once. Or so I thought. We went there and I ordered the medium plate since I was pretty hungry (there are 3 sizes to choose from: small, medium and large). I started to fill up my plate and I was not halfway through when the owner told me to weigh my plate. It exceeded the weight limit and he said I should pay for a large. I didn't want a large. I lost my appetite right there and then. They seem to be too kibishii about the portions. My friend got the small plate and she was not asked to weigh her plate but the amount of food she got was almost the same as my medium plate (small plate is 350 yen cheaper than the medium plate). I just felt that the owners were too concerned about profit and not about customer satisfaction. Extremely disappointed and won't be going back.

BPritt
BPritt

Best Ever

Posted on 11 / 21 / 2009

The food at this restaurant is Taiwanese Buddhist food, and almost all vegan. It was by far the best vegan food I had in all of Japan. The staff is most friendly, and hospitable. You will never regret your visit.

Pros: Healthy, Friendly staff, Delicoius
Jessqi
Jessqi

Great Place

Posted on 06 / 14 / 2009

I went here with my omni Japanese friend who'd never been to a vegetarian restaurant before and she was very impressed and planned to return with her sister.

The staff were super friendly and made a great attempt to convert my friend to vegetarianism. But in a very gentle and humorous way. They weren't at all pushy.

The food was divine. We asked for their recommendation and were very pleased with what we got. We ordered several different dishes. I don't remember their names but we both loved the eggplant dish and a creamy noodle soup.

The staff were very good at pointing out which things weren't vegan. Most of the dishes were vegan. I also picked up the super handy bilingual "Pocketguide to vegan resaurants in Japan" here.

It is also one of the few restaurants handy to Asakusa and east Tokyo where there are a lot of tourist sites and accommodation.

Pros: Yum!!, Very friendly staff, Great seletion of vegan food
Zwhale
Zwhale

Friendly

Posted on 05 / 11 / 2009

The staff were really friendly and spoke English. We were made to feel really welcome. They even took our photo outside! The decoration and atmosphere of the place was good too - very warm and down-to-earth.
The food was great - I loved the dish I had - deep friend mock meat in breadcrumbs - naughty but nice! Healthier dishes were on the menu too.
A good night out!!

Pros: Friendly, Food, Spoke English
cookiemonster
cookiemonster

Good, call ahead and make a reservation.

Posted on 12 / 29 / 2007

This restaurant was quite yummy and had a fair-sized menu. The directions are good and it is quite easy to find. However, I showed up by myself and although the restaurant was empty, they said I needed a reservation. As I was hungry and vegan food is hard to find in Japan, I ordered a couple of dishes for take-out and just ate them outside. It was good, not excellent, but good. The portions were on the smaller size (one person will need two dishes to make a supper) although that may have been because I was taking out.

Pros: vegan friendly
Cons: somewhat expensive, small portions, call ahead
bunjil
bunjil

Check this place out!

Posted on 10 / 28 / 2006

This place has great food. Great for vegetarians. Meat eaters could also be satisfied here as they have mock meats that look and taste a little like meat. All vegetarian though which is nice to see. The owner of the place is very friendly and explains how certain things there are made. The lunch buffet very reasonably priced at under 1000yen. Good selection of other food on the menu. And it's smoke free! So rare in smoker friendly Japan. Just wish they wouldn't use disposable plastic cups and spoons. Other than that, check it out!

Pros: great food, frienldy staff, non-smoking!
Cons: plastic disposable cups, plastic disposable spoons

Dear Owner and Manager of It's Vegetable: