Island Taco

Serves meat, veg options available. Casual atmosphere. Has veg burritos, chimis, and tacos with these three options: bean and cheese, shoyu curry tofu, and cilantro lime tofu. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Mexican, American, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg
9643 Kaumualii Hwy (/on Kauai)
Waimea, Hawaii 96796

Leslie22124
Leslie22124

Yuck

1 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2014

My husband and I went to Island Taco because of the reviews here on Happy Cow. What a waste of money. They offer two varieties of vegan tacos; the difference is only the seasoning on the tofu. I tried cilantro lime, which is apparently their most popular flavor. The flavor itself was fine, but the overall taco was pretty awful...deep-fried tofu made the whole thing way too greasy. And cabbage instead of lettuce is just...odd. My husband, who eats fish, ordered the ahi taco, and was asked if he wanted that vegan. Huh? He didn't like his tacos, either, and neither of us finished lunch. Do yourself a favor and skip this place...go across the street to Coconut Corner and get some fruit instead.

Cons: Greasy, Expensive , Not like any taco I've ever had!
Joe_rev
Joe_rev

Best veg tacos ever!

4 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2012

Like the other post, I'd give this a 6 out of 5 if they didn't serve meat.

It was tough to find good veg food on Kauai, but this hit the spot. Moreover, the tofu and refried bean tacos (both vegan) turned out to be the best tacos I've ever had. They will not disappoint!

Pros: TACOS!, Pre-canyon local, Near Jo-Jo's
Cons: Serves meat
CatherineH
CatherineH

Best tofu tacos EVER!

4 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2011

Wow - this place was so good, we made the drive from the north shore an extra time just to have their tacos! We LOVED the cilantro lime tofu tacos so much, we may plan our next trip to Kauai completely around dining at Island Taco. We've dined at many, many restaurants throughout Kauai in the last couple years and these guys are hands-down the best. I also lived in Phoenix for years so have had a lot of great tacos and honestly, these beat everything I've tasted elsewhere. So fresh, flavors are just right, prices VERY reasonable (especially for the great portions) and the service so friendly.

You can use Waimea Canyon as an excuse to go here, but no matter what, you have to make this a part of your Kauai trip!!

The rating system on Happy Cow will only let me give 4 cows since they also serve fish, but secretly, we give them SIX cows!

Dear Owner and Manager of Island Taco: