Island Naturals Market and...

Market with 4 locations on the Big Island. Large space stocking natural food and grocery. Has a deli. more-less
15-1403 Nanawale Homesteads (/on Big Island)
Pahoa, Hawaii 96778
808-965-8322

Open Mon-Sun til 8pm.

First Review by keepongrowing
Eviecus
Eviecus

Mixed feelings

2 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2013

I had previously been in the Kona and Hilo stores and thought they were brilliant. I was very disappointed to see that there were so many meat options here and there was very little vegan options. I found some items in the fridge that appeared vegan, they were marked as vegetarian... I read the ingredients and thought it was safe but now reading the previous posts I'm not so sure. I had very little choice and ended up eating mostly rice. It was better than nothing but this store isn't a patch on the other stores in Hilo and Kona.

savagejane
savagejane

Not VERY Vegetarian

2 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2010

I am surprised by the rave reviews this place has recieved.
The hotbar is a mix of vegan and full on carnivore fare with no real separation (spoons being dipped in all pots etc.). Most of the time they have around 50 to 100 sandwiches, I would say 15 to 20 are veggie friendly on an average day. I don't eat eggs but do eat dairy and was really very happy to find that the sister store in Pahoa had what appeared to be 5 to 7 different gourmet deserts (choco cake, tirimisu cupcakes etc) that were fantastic and did not list eggs in the ingredients. After buying these goodies for about 3 months I find out from the baker that "..oh yeah, all our cakes except ones with the vegan sticker, have eggs. We just don't always list all the ingredients on there. sorry!"
Anyway . Island Naturals is not what I would recomend for a vegetarian on the Big Island. However, Down To Earth Natural Foods has mooooved into the former I.N. location next to Borders in Hilo. This place is %100 VEGETARIAN. It is nice to be able to walk in and not have to worry what extras the food has in it. The hot bar and bakery items are delicious. But I guess that is another review. oops!

Pros: umm?
Cons: lottsa meat, incomplete ingred. listings, few veggie selections
spiceislandvegan
spiceislandvegan

This store is awesome!

5 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2009

We stayed at Kalani Honua Ocean retreat in a recent visit to Puna district, Hawaii and were not satisfied with what they provide for vegans and vegetarians. This store in Pahoa which is now named Island Natural Foods, a market and deli, saved us a lot of trouble for finding out delicious vegan meals. We found it by accident, actually. We just roamed around and decided to come in. During our visit to this area (Hilo and Puna district), I think, we went in this store for about 5 times to get vegan ready-made. Every time we shop from their del/hot and cold bars we got DELICIOUS stuff. They open at 7 am and at the hot bar, they provide warm baked vegan stuff such as vegan scones (pineapple vegan scone, lilikoi (passion fruit) vegan scone, almond, scone, etc.) that are so yummy. They have warm vegan blueberry muffins that are sooo goood. They have vegan breakfast burrito with potatoes and black beans. Their organic coffee is so delish. Come early or you'll not find any. For lunch they have vegan wrapped sandwiches and desserts that you can bring to a picnic on the beach or volcano national park. They also have hot deli for dinner (the deli is closed at 5 pm) such as chana masala, brown rice, quinoa, couscous, tofu curry, thai tofu, etc. that are all vegan and so yummy. We bought tofu teriyaki sushi rolls for trip back home (for in the plane). I love their pad thai with tofu that is even great at room temperature. They also have tasty vegan desserts (haupia with lilikoi), vegan choc chip cookies, vegan carrot cakes, etc. Amazing! We quit eating at Kalani and spend less bucks in this store and were very satisfied. The staff is friendly and helpful also. To us, this is a gem for travelers to find. We also visited their store in Hilo (located at the shopping center where Wal-mart is). If you are traveling in Hawaii, I really recommend that you stop by this market and deli and get a cooler to bring to the beaches.

Pros: Vegan bakery items, Vegan deli made to order items, Vegan grab n go items
Cons: No website, No advertisement

keepongrowing
keepongrowing

Great place for a vegetarian in Hawaii

5 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2007

This is now Island Market & Deli, sister store to the one in Hilo. seems to be a newer building, large gorcery selection, fantastic hot food bar and grab-n-go deli case. We went every morning for coffee and got many food items there. Interesting and unique little town, but we felt at home in this Market

Pros: Large selection, GREAT hot bar & deli item, good parking

Dear Owner and Manager of Island Naturals Market and Deli: