InSpiral Lounge

The vegan menu includes hot food, salads, sandwiches, raw food, smoothies, vegan organic cake, and raw truffle. All the main entrees are vegan, however, they offer cow's milk for drinks in addition to soya milk, so not fully vegan. Also sells large selection of soya-free sugar-free vegan ice cream. Organic licensed bar. DJs, film nights, talks in the evenings, wi-fi, local delivery scheme. Casual atmosphere. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Western, English, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Delivery
250 Camden High Street, Camden
North West London, England NW1 8QS
020-74285875

Open Mon-Thur 10am-10pm, Fri-Sat 10am-2am, Sun 10am-11:30pm.

First Review by Jemima
denizthecat
denizthecat

Mixed reviews - but still one of my favourites!

4 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2014

A visit to the UK (yes the UK!) Is not complete without a visit to Inspiral Lounge for me. A few years ago, I completely fell in love with their tiramisu and lasagne (the kind of food that comes back to you even in your dreams). Throughout the years, I have had bad and good visits to the place.

I obviously prefer it when it is not completely packed; but that is rare so I opt to go in the mornings. The vegan breakfast is one of the best ever. Do bare in mind, if you are like me not a big breakfast person, you might want to share your breakfast or plan to be completely full for the rest of the day when it comes to the full English breakfast at Inspiral.

My advice with Inspiral; if your first visit as enjoyable as you had hoped it to be, come back another time. You might be pleasantly surprised and somehow fall in love with the place!

(though as a vegan, I am disappointed to hear that they have cow's milk. Really? Come on, Inspiral, prove the world what you stand for!!!)

Pros: all vegan menu, full English breakfast, location
Cons: cow's milk???!!!, can be too busy and messy
nojvegan
nojvegan

great place

5 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2014

This place really does feel good, nice music, friendly staff , affordable food. (do they really have cow's milk? pity)

Pros: great location, value food
Cons: Serves cows milk?
magenticka
magenticka

A Vegan Restaurant Selling Cows Milk!?

2 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2014

Inspiral Lounge make a very clear statement by selling cows milk. They support the rape & torture of non-human animals. We are aware of the horrors behind the animal holocaust, and Inspiral Lounge have proved that they are a fake money making scheme. I will never set foot in there ever again, and we are launching a change.org petition against them. Do not go here!

Cons: Cows milk!, Exploiting animals!, Fake!
JonJon
JonJon

Breakfast here is just heaven

5 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2014

It was our first restaurant in London, just after a night in the bus from Paris. We really enjoyed the place (good vibe inside, original, Camden helps too!) and the view on the canal. We ordered their vegan english breakfast which was really delicious. They also offers different raw vegan options but we did not try them. Later in our stay, we've tried some of their sandwiches and we were not disappointed. Yummy! Only regret, the fact they use (even if ahimsa) cow milk, on request.

Pros: great food, yummy english breakfast, good vibes, view on the canal, friendly staff
Cons: not 100% vegan (why ahimsa milk!)
elrujo
elrujo

CAMDEN DOES NOT GO WITHOUT INSPIRAL & VICE VERSA

5 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2014

I mean both just belong together.Perfect place for inspiral to be in camden next to the lock.
Great food ,especially the vegan cakes and vegan ice cream.
Incredibly amazing. Also the chocolate&almond fudge delicious.Gotta go and visit before it is too full and all the good food is gone for the day.The earlier u go the better.This place gets full so quickly, especially weekends & when the weather is great. View across the canal just beautiful.I also suggest another inspiral in&around shoreditch has to open.Will suit the business i believe from the whole style.

Pros: Great food especially deserts, amazing location next to the lock, beautiful view across the canal
Cons: too small for so many people often times, variety can be bigger, another inspiral has to open somewhere

hokusai77
hokusai77

Nice location, good food, and healthy ice cream

4 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2014

Very nice location for this restaurant, offering good, healthy vegan food and nice desserts, pralines and ice cream.

Pros: excellent food , good soy-free ice cream
CLRtraveller
CLRtraveller

healthy fare - mostly

4 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2013

I had the Cooked Vegan Bake-up, a plate with small portions of scrambled tofu, home-baked beans, mushrooms, tomato, mixed-greens salad, one large vegan sausage and two small pieces of rye bread, for £7.95. Overlooking the canal is nice – it’s a sunny day, so many people are lounging by the canal and strolling the market booths.
Flyer says: Optimum nutrition, pure vegetarian menu, raw/living foods dishes, unique ‘free from’ hot mains, superfood salad range, seasonal soups and deli treats, all day breakfast bakepups, low GI raw vegan ice creams, gourmet nutrition raw cakes, organic juice bar, superfood smoothies, home-brewed kombucha, vegan milkshakes, medicinal mushroom chai, tonic herbal elixirs.
Wow. Wish it was totally vegan.

Pros: great vegan items
Cons: crowded
Mojie101
Mojie101

Great vibes but why do they serve cows milk !

5 Posted on 12 / 13 / 2013

Love this place, they have great music, super friendly staff, and absolutely amazing cakes. The peanut butter cake is hands down my fave vegan cake in London.

They have good parties on at the weekend, with a nice female friendly vibe.

My main problem with this place is that they serve cow's milk and for a vegan restaurant this is very disappointing..
Updated from previous review on Friday December 13, 2013

Pros: Nice staff, Great cakes, Good food
Cons: They serve cow's milk
kateborgo
kateborgo

Delicious Food

5 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2013

Sitting in Inspiral savouring the last of my vegan spanakopita. Honestly one of the best vegan meals I have ever had. Got the meal and salad deal. Salads were all so fresh and tasty and the servings very generous. Lovely warm staff too :). Thanks!!

Pros: fresh, so tasty, nice vibe
gen6
gen6

Twice I've been and found hair in food!

2 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2013

So I've eaten here a few times, but twice (including the last time!) I found hair within my food. I was very disappointed and therefore wont be going again - which is a shame as I think they have a good selection of food, particularly main meals and deserts

henj
henj

Awesome breakfast

4 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2013

we've read some recommendations on the vegan breakfast, and we totally not disappointed. the sausage looks so real my friend asked 3 times if it's vegan...it was super!
they had some problem in the kitchen so the service was a bit slow, and without saying anything they just compensate us with two cups of coffee.
please notice that if you choose something from the vitrine, you better ask what's fresh, because afternoon we came back to eat the Raw-banana we saw in the morning, and for it was there since morning (it's a morning thing so they don't make new ones) it wasn't so fresh. but they keep making fresh food al lasagnas etc. all day and it looked great

Pros: delicious, fair prices, good service
MissPennyLane
MissPennyLane

great vegan breakfast!

4 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2013

If you go to Camden Market and your hotel is not vegan-friendly, you can definitely get a great English Breakfast at In-Spiral. Very friendly staff, not expensive. would definitely recommend it

Pros: Great English Breakfast
KatieBatty
KatieBatty

Some nice options but could be better

3 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2013

My partner and I tried the raw crepe which tasted okay but it wasn't that amazing. Then my partner had the buffet which was okay. His choc mint milkshake and green smoothie were amazing though. They sell lots of great vegan ice-creams. My lasagna was only okay. It was cold at the bottom and some of the buffet food was cold too.

Pros: Good location, Nice ice-cream, milkshakes
Cons: Food not amazing
heliorodrigues
heliorodrigues

not impressed...

2 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2013

well this is definitely not a place i'd spend my money on eating. its alright to socialize and get together but food and drinks are expensive... atmosphere is touristic, superficial and wannabe-elitist. its in camden rite!! :-) i think this is exactly what it wants to be. not for me folks.

Pros: little outside space
Cons: expensive, touristic, superficial atmosphere
wildfang
wildfang

Ice cream smoothie and raw tiramisu cake...

4 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2013

Unfortunately we had already had lunch when we got there so we only tried an ice cream smoothie with oat milk and and a raw tiramisu cake which were both super tasty. We also got some raw pralines to take away which also turned out to be extremely delicious. The staff was very friendly and helpful.
The place was super-busy, though, so we had to wait to be served for quite a while and had to sit on high chairs which is a bit tricky with a toddler. Prices are not low but okay for London prices. I'd like to go there again when it's less crowded and enjoy the place a bit more.

DanielAmaral
DanielAmaral

Huge breakfast!

5 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2013

Ok, this place was so crowded that I almost gave up eating there. After trying to understand how to order the "lunch dishes", I opted for the traditional vegan breakfast.
That thing is HUGE. Burger, sausage, "egg salad", beans, toast, salad. Everything tasted very great. I have to come back to this place as soon as possible.

Pros: Huge portion, delicious
Azrayel
Azrayel

A favourite haunt

5 Posted on 06 / 11 / 2013

If I'm in or around Camden, I *have* to drop in! The main courses are delicious and filling, and the portions (once you add the sides such as roast veg) are very generous. The ice cream is wonderful, the smoothies and 'shakes to die for. I can't praise this place enough. I don't tend to try the raw offerings but I've heared very good things about them.

Pros: Delicious, Great location, Mostly vegan
Cons: Often very busy, Relatively expensive (London prices), Sell out of meals quite fast
OneNightStanzas
OneNightStanzas

InSpiring :)

4 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2013

I came here on a really hot sunny Saturday just as all the hungry vegans were heading out for dinner, so it was super busy. There were three of us in my party but we still managed to get squeezed in at a shared table, and we all got served pretty quick. I ate the delicious cheez-y lasagne, which was really great, and one of their salads, also lovely. We all treated ourselves to raw cake afterwards too, which was fab. Yep, it's a bit crowded and noisy and busy but that kind of adds to the cool atmosphere and as someone else here said, it's because it's such a great place! We all really liked it and plan to return next time we're in London :)

Pros: Great main courses, Delicious raw cakes, Cool buzz
Cons: Couldn't find the cutlery at first...?
cocoholic
cocoholic

Very nice raw food place

4 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2013

Very beautiful location, just a shame there are no outdoor seatings. All the food I tried was good and you'll get free samples of their own raw kale crisps. I liked their Green Queen Smoothie (very creamy) and I think the other smoothies they offer also sounds good. Fantastic raw cakes. My favourite was the passion fruit cake, because it was not so sweet as well as the vanilla berry cake. The blueberry cake was too sweet for me but okay - avoid the carrot cake which I didn't like at all.

Only negative thing is the organisation of the self service. I went there twice and each time I was waiting for about 5 - 10 minutes in the wrong location :-( It is really confusing they have three counters (one outdoors and two inside). Don't wait outdoors, beause they will ignore you. I think they could also do with more staff, because they were always busy, even on a Monday during lunch time.

Pros: fantastic raw cakes and food, cosy location, easy to find
Cons: confusing self-service system, sometimes long waiting times
turion
turion

Inspiring Lunch

4 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2013

Nice view, beautiful location and decoration (fantastic flower-like wall paintings). All salads and warm dishes we had were good, and quite a few were really, really great. The chocolate blackout cake is unbelievably good, and so is the mango lassi. Staff was busy, but we were still served very quickly.

Pros: Vegan For All Practical Purposes, Great Food, Nice Location
Cons: Not Exactly Cheap, Bit Small
alphawaves
alphawaves

I used to love this place... :(

2 Posted on 04 / 03 / 2013

I reviewed this place a couple of years ago, but sadly felt the need to do it again as my last two trips to Inspiral were awful.

The staff were incredibly busy, so busy that I had to wait 20 minutes for a coffee. It seems more staff and space are needed - there's usually no tables either.

The food I had was bland, too. I used to rave about this place, but I think I'll be avoiding it from now on.

Pros: Ice cream
Cons: Always busy, Not enough staff, No space
poohfriends
poohfriends

Best vegan milkshake ever!

5 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2013

After arriving in London by Eurostar we directly went to Inspiral. The food was delicious! We had a vegan cheesecake as dessert which was really good. And the best of Inspiral were the milkshakes. You can choose which milk you want to use and I choose oatmilk.

Cecilia B.
Cecilia B.

Vegan Cheesecake!

4 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2013

Nice atmosphere, amazing vegan cheesecake and vegan beer. Intrigued me the lasagna but the portion was too small for the excessive price.
Staff was not interested in who was on the other side of the bar counter. Thumbs down!

Pros: good food
Cons: bad staff
Nikki1801
Nikki1801

I love it here

5 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2013

A friend introduced me to InSpiral a couple years back, and since then we've always come back here whenever we head to this part of town.
The staff have always been lovely & the food has always been great. Sure, it can get really busy and it's quite cramped, but so what? I think they've done well with the space they've got and if it's busy then surely that means they're doing something right!? If they were all quiet and had no custom, they'd all go bust and we'd have nowhere to go!

The vegan lasagne is normally what I have, and the sides are normally yummy too! The hot drinks are decent and they also offer dairy for those who want it.

Pros: Great vegan food, friendly
Cons: can get busy at lunchtimes
Chefmattin
Chefmattin

• raw

worth the walk

5 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2012

I really wanted to try this place, I really enjoyed the food, we had the raw mushroom burger and vegan lasagna with a delicious raw pumpkin pie for dessert. Nice live music.

Ajolote
Ajolote

Tiny awesomeness!!

5 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2012

This place rocks! I just went tonight and asked the guy behind the counter to eplain the restaurant concept and he was super friendly. Everything is pre-made and seating at the counter waiting for someone to pick it up. I love being able to see my food before ordering it!!

I ordered the sweet onion quiche, raw carrot cake and a smoothies and I paid about 15 pounds, which was very reasonable. The food was excellent!

The location is great because is right in the middle of Camden Town. The restaurant is vegan except for the animal milk for the coffee drinks.

Pros: Location, Friendliness, Price
Cons: tiny
Robin Hiller
Robin Hiller

Inspired impressions

5 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2012

I took some old friends of mine to Camden the other day and ended up at inSpiral. I had heard about it but quite frankly mostly negative stuff. Like unfriendly staff and expensive dishes. One of my friends is a vegan so there was not much choice in Camden but quite frankly I am really glad I went. The food looked AND tasted amazing - and for £5.45 for a main course you can't really fault it! I tried one of their raw cakes as well and must say that in itself was an experience worth writing about. I even went as far as testing the staff and asked lots of annoying questions but got nothing but smiles and helpful responses! My Vegan friend was in total heaven and I must say I'll be back for another treat myself! Well done inSpiral!

apriltui
apriltui

Good food, bit disorganised

3 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2012

This small cafe has an interesting selection, and what we had was pretty good. The desserts were raw, lovely, very filling and there is a lot of these to choose from. The mains were tasty , although my lasagne was cold, but salads were average, nothing special and they should have more selection. Lots of thought has gone into the food but it was all a bit disorganised. The display was not very ordered and it was a bit annoying to try and figure out what was where. The seating is very uncomfortable. It probably suits Camden but because of the kind of food, a lot of raw and vegan, it is on the pricey side due to cost of ingredients, so its fair enough. However you don't expect a pricey meal and well, grubby surroundings. The windows need a clean and the seating needs sorting. With a bit more thought, planning and cleaning, it would be amazing.

Pros: desserts, raw food
Cons: seating uncomfortable, disorganised , bit unclean
  • DomSpiral DomSpiral

It seems you came to us just when we changed over our entire system. Only last week we got in a whole new counter display and with that we changed the way we serve our food. Rather than forcing our customers to have our main courses with sides they are now all available at £5.45 only and we have had some great responses so far. Sorry you experienced us a bit disorganised - it is probably true as at the time we had so much to change over - but things should have settled down now and we are back to our shiny self - if not better! So do come again and let us know how we are doing (-;

RafaelCardoso
RafaelCardoso

Perfect!

5 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2012

This is the perfect place for vegans in London. It has many options in the menu to choose, so many that I felt lost for some time. heheh
I got a delicious lasagna with currie, potatos, rice and salad for lunch. Then, an açai juice to drink and a magnificent chocolate and mint ice cream. The service was very good and kind. And the place.. the place was so cosy, beautiful and comfortable that was hard to leave.
It was the the best place I ever ate in my life, I can say this.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff
Cons: nothing, really
Amy1274
Amy1274

Great food, great atmosphere - not-so-great prices

5 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2012

This is a gorgeous little cafe/bar with live music in the evenings (I can recommend the open-mike night that takes place every Sunday). Vegans are spoiled for choice with main meals, soups, wraps, cakes and as many have mentioned, raw truffles, and I have always found the food to be of a high quality. The only problem is the prices are quite high (nearly £4 for a cake, for example) but reduced items can be found in the evening.

Pros: choice, qualitiy, atmosphere
Cons: price
physte3
physte3

Great food and atmosphere

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2012

I really like go to InSpiral in Camden Town because the food is fresh and tasty and the people is nice. I like the position close to the channel.

Pros: Vegan and raw food, Good vibes, Nice enviroment
Cons: Sometimes the music is too loud
lh1986
lh1986

• non-vegetarian

Best ice cream!

5 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2012

Whenever I am in London I try and go to InSpiral, their ice cream is the nicest (and healthiest) vegan one I have ever had. Great mix of flavours, my favourite is the mint one which is rare to find dairy free. The ice cream is made primarily from cashew nuts which gives it a very rich flavour.

There are plenty of vegan/wheat free/raw options so basically something for all diets. I tend to have something different everytime I go in and have never found any of my meals to be anything but delicious. The puddings are always made from the best ingredients and therefore a little pricey but they are very filling; I often share one with my partner.

Staff have always been friendly and happy to answer any questions, even when its been very busy I have never felt rushed.

The downsides would be that the seating is a little uncomfortable but this is probably so people do not linger - they can get very busy, especially in summer.

It is probably best I do not live in London as I would probably be bankrupted from going there all the time.

Pros: Healthy food, vegan options, vegan ice cream
Cons: uncomfortable chairs, busy
Sammo84
Sammo84

Good breakfast

4 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2012

Had the vegan all day breakfast. The sausage was absolutely amazing but the tofu scramble was pretty bland. (However, I appreciate that I'm a curry powder machine when it comes to my tofu scramble)

Really friendly, helpful staff and a really nice atmosphere.

Pros: Vegan sausage, Friendly staff, Good vibes
Cons: Tofu scramble
necropalice
necropalice

Bad reviews? Which Inspiral Lounge were YOU at?

5 Posted on 04 / 25 / 2012

I felt a bit unsure about InSpiral Lounge due to the negative reviews on here, but I'm newly vegan, curious about raw food and a Camden addict, so I had to check it out. I've now been four times in the last two months.

Firstly, the menu is awesome. I've tried the raw cheese tart, the aubergine parcel and the raw cheese ravioli (which blew my knickers off) along with a wide selection of their salads. My friends have rolled with less adventurous options like the soup and bagels, both of which were delicious (and good value). The raw vegan Caesar salad is fantastic and I'll be honest: I crave it constantly.

The staff have been nothing but lovely to me - they explain how their menu works, recommend dishes, are polite and patient with lots of uhmming and ahhing over the menu. The atmosphere is what I would expect from a busy lockside cafe - the chairs could be more comfortable, for example, but I've never struggled to find a seat at lunch time.

The toilets were fine - I honestly don't know what the problem could have been with the previous reviewers, but I'm guessing either a) they don't go to places anywhere near as skuzzy as the places I'm used to, or b) whatever it was has been fixed.

The best bit? I passed by late one night with a friend, and it was still open. When the sun sets, the tables are cleared to form a dance floor. Organic beer at a reasonable price, a different vibe every night... honestly? What's not to like?

Pros: amazing food, evening atmosphere rocks, big portions
Cons: expensive mains, uncomfy chairs
rjmehra
rjmehra

Vegan heaven in Camden

5 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2012

The real pulling power of this place for me is the range and the location. It's always slightly different and never ceases to surprise. The staff are lovely, despite it always being quite busy the times I've been.
The drink and dessert options are good, and there are some interesting vegan trinkets such as boutique chocolates.

Pros: Location, Range, Atmosphere
Cons: Busy at times
bencamps
bencamps

Rudest Staff in London

2 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2012

I've been to the Inspiral Lounge many times, usually before a gig or after work (I work in Camden). Whilst the food here is usually pretty good (hence return visits) the staff have to be the most up-their-own-arse people you are likely to meet. The service is rude, sloppy and extremely disorganised. The toilets are a disgrace and the [edit by staff] music far too loud. To top it off it is pricey for what it is. [edit by staff] I would give 1 cow but 2 is the lowest. I hope they can sort their act out as the location is good, despite all the tourists.

Pros: OK food
Cons: Rude staff, Filthy toilets, loud music
igreenery
igreenery

Overrated

2 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2012

Understaffed, no smoothies available, very poor selection of hot food (and cold!) and the food when I did get it was tasteless. Very poor.

Dula
Dula

Excellent and busy place

5 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2011

Very nice place with a view over canal in Camden, very tasty and good portion food. Vegan cakes and ic cream. Worth visiting. Quite busy at the lunchtime.

MrDavey
MrDavey

InSpiral Lounge

5 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2011

Expensive but very tasty food, good selection, mostly vegan. Nice view of the canal, very nice atmosphere inside with some cool places to sit.

Would recommend it but at the same time you do pay quite a lot.

Pros: Location, Quick food, Good selection
Cons: Expensive
Blueberries
Blueberries

Great take-away bagel

4 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2011

Stopped in for some lunch to take away during a recent day-trip to Camden. Most of their menu seemed to be raw, and everything was vegan except for the option of cow's milk for drinks. Not really wanting something raw, I went for a vegan cream cheese bagel, which was pretty good but not amazing (I'm not complaining, I love being able to get vegan cheese in cafes/restaurants!). The service was slow but that was probably because it was a busy weekend afternoon.

Pros: Central in Camden town, All food was vegan
Cons: Slow service, Emphasis on raw food
Bow
Bow

Over-rated

2 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2011

I went here for my birthday last year and have not been back. The food was quite tasty - not amazing, and expensive for what it was, but enjoyable enough. The view over the canal was agreeable. The music was too loud. The ice-cream was disappointing. The service wasn't great. The clincher was the toilets, which are absolutely disgusting. Shocking to see such poor hygiene in a place that sells food. Going to the toilet was the last thing I did before leaving - if it had been the first thing I did, I wouldn't have eaten there. If they can't maintain the most minimal standards of hygiene in the bits the public can see, I dread to think what their kitchen is like. Put me off completely. It was a bit of a trek from Camden station and frankly, it wasn't worth it. There are other, better places to eat in the area.

Pros: Vegan food, Quite tasty
Cons: Shocking toilets, Over-priced, Generally disappointing
pinkpineapples
pinkpineapples

AMAZING

5 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2011

As a vegan who loves raw foods there were a million options, all with generous serves, clearly marked as vegetarian, vegan, raw, etc and all really healthy. I'm still in awe of the fact they use local small businesses for suppliers and everything there is environmentally friendly (recycled serviettes, etc.).

There were so many amazing options. Good value and great tasting! I love the fact there were so many desserts available too. The staff were cheerful and friendly too! Great atmosphere and a lovely view.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, range of choices
Miggi
Miggi

amazing cake

5 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2011

We had chocolate mousse and berry vanilla chesecake, both vegan, gorgeous, creamy puddings. nice place overlooking canal near camden market.
Service a little slow but it was fairly busy.

Pros: vegan cake and pud, other vegan stuff on menu too
Cons: slow service
Lucylu
Lucylu

A mixed bag!

2 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2011

I visited InSpiral last Sat' night. It was very crowded and the system, well lack thereof, made it ridiculously arduous in getting a drink or ordering some food. It seemed to be a case of the louder you shouted the quicker you got served. They really need to sort out a system. Maybe one till for food and another if you just want a drink. The staff were really friendly, just useless at their jobs!

Good selection of vegan wine, although I really object to being served in a tacky old plastic wine "glass".

The loos are a disgrace and really need a bloody good clean!

The pud's are a delight, if you ever get served to have one.

Nice area outside on the canal.

Pros: Vegan wine, Vegan puddings, Friendly staff
Cons: Terrible service, Really dirty, BADLY organised
ecoman
ecoman

A nice surprise

4 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2011

I stumbled over this restaurant wisiting Camden markets, and I realised that I heard of it. The staff was helpful and the Raw nachos I had was i most parts a fine experience. Since Into rawfood, I tried only dishes that were completely Raw, and there were sometimes confusion on what was actually Raw (when asking questions it turned out that the main ingredient in a dish presented as raw was not raw at all). But I am not difficult, and the taste of what I got made up for it. The truffels after tha meal was also fine, but after tasting the works of Rawfoodhouse in Malmö I am very hard to convince here. This place is nice, and I understand that there are entertainment later wich I would love to experience.

Pros: Nice location, great view, well prepared meal, nice staff
Cons: not clrear what was raw and whats not
hippublican
hippublican

Fantastic.

5 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2011

This restaurant couldn't be any better unless it was in my backyard.
The location is perfect, right in Camden overlooking the lock.
The food is incredible. We visited a few times, first only getting the avocado (simple and wonderful) and a dessert (can't go wrong), then returning for the vegan breakfast. The vegan breakfast is great and a great value as well.
I can't recommend this restaurant enough!

AllieGraywords
AllieGraywords

Lovely place

5 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2011

I discovered Inspiral last summer, then I went there every time I had been in London.
It's a very nice place, with a great view of the Canal and a tasty menu.
I love their cakes, ice cream and smoothies, and my non-veg friends love them too!

Pros: great food, nice canal view, friendly staff
Cons: little noisy
dkinjer
dkinjer

Good food, disgusting place

2 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2011

We enjoyed the food that we ate, though it was not amazing, but the place itself was disgusting. Aside from the neighborhood seeming quite seedy, walking from the tube station, the restaurant itself was gross. The ceiling was moldy and peeling, the noise level from loud music and talking abominable, and the bathroom - absolutely disgusting. Though the desserts looked good, we decided that it is impossible to enjoy tea and dessert in such an atmosphere and we left.

Pros: good food
Cons: disgusting interior
NickNack1989
NickNack1989

Inspiral

5 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2010

I have quite often dined here, either for a quick snack or a small meal. The service is good, the staff are quite often friendly and the food is decent. It might be more expensive than other food in Camden, but its more trustworthy.
The ice cream is great, the wedges and lasagne are also worth a try. Its often quite busy, but you won't really notice you'll be too busy enjoying yourself. If you're around the area, it is definitely worth a visit.

Pros: Quality Food, Decent Portions, Friendly Staff
Cons: A bit Pricey, Quite Noisy
margypargy
margypargy

Tiramisu I miss you!

5 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2010

Go here, eat Tiramisu!!! Honestly, it's the most amazing pudding and you must try it before you die. If you do nothing else. Why isn't the whole world vegan?

Pros: Tiramisu!, By the canal + Camden vibe, Mostly vegan (95%)
Cons: Staff can be 'off' - so what's new?
amosuz
amosuz

might be a good location but

2 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2010

me and my wife ate there earlier this month, and found it to have a great location by the canal, but the food and staff awful. the food seemed very old and
the staff not very friendly,

Pros: good location
Cons: food terrible
Jamie Roberts
Jamie Roberts

Utterly delicious, mostly vegan food

5 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2010

Had our hotel been closer to Camden Town, we would have eaten here daily. From the spanikopita to the kofti, this place is delicious, friendly, priced well for London and full of creative vegetarian (and mostly vegan) delights. It's first on our list for any return trips to London.

Pros: Healthy, creative, delicious
Carlos Packer-Comyn
Carlos Packer-Comyn

What unfriendly service!!!!

2 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2010

Cool location and the food was ok, though hardly exceptional. The service however was absolutely abominable. We were served by this girl with a North American accent who was unbelievably unfriendly. One would expect for a place that wishes to be inspirational to at the very least offer friendly service. The waitress wins the award for the most unfriendly hospitality staff ever. We will never bother to go back to Inspiral Lounge.

hundert
hundert

next to all kinds of street food

4 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2010

... you can find this lovely place on your way to the camden lock market. the food is awesome, the price is still in the "ok-range".
thanks to a lot of category icons on the menu, it's very clear if the food fits your needs (marked as: gluten free, vegan, raw food, organic etc..).

it's self service and a little chaotic, but i would definitely go there again when i'm in the area.
first i thought i wouldn't need the quite loud music (too much input anyway in this area!), but after a time it changed to a very calm and chilled downtempo electro, which fitted perfectly.

the meals are very customizable (you can choose between a lot of (all vegan!) sides), what makes it almost too complicated for tourists with slight language barriers (my mom didn't understand all the questions of the staff).

Pros: very good ingredient informations, almost completely vegan
Cons: almost too customizeable meals
Courtnichka
Courtnichka

Wonderful Cafe

5 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2010

The first time I visited InSpiral Lounge I turned around and walked right out because the staff ignored me to help other customers who came in after me.
I'm glad I gave it a second chance because the next time I went in the service was great. The cashier was friendly and warm, she also helped me pick out the mushroom pastry. It was an excellent choice. I also tried the spinach salad and the edible flower side dishes. I didn't care for the edible flowers but both the spinach and the mushroom dishes were great. Next time I'm in London I will have to try out the ice cream and catch some of their events. Aside from being a little pricey (like everything in London) and the random bad service the day before, I love this little cafe. Hopefully I will be in town when they are having events next time.

Pros: great food, nice location, friendly service
Cons: can be pricey, random bad service
jamestyack
jamestyack

very cool!

5 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2010

I visited Camden at the weekend and headed straight to InSpiral. Great selection of healthy vegan meals and treats. The cheesecake was amazing. Friendly people and good atmosphere. Overlooks Camden lock for a great view. They had an open mike the evening I was there with live music and comedy. I love the way they make such great use of the space. Look forward to my next visit!

Pros: great atmosphere with lots going on, loads of vegan food, vegan treats
gemmer
gemmer

InSpiral Lounge- inspiring to say the least!

5 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2010

I love this place. So so much. I went last October (2009) and got as many scoops of their amazing raw ice creem as I could (mint chocolate chip was my fave, though one really could not go wrong with any of them!).
The second time I went back to London, I forgot where InSpiral was located and the name of the place itself! So I kind of had to make a trek through London to get there, but it was SO worth it. I took forever trying to figure out what I wanted to eat, because everything just looked so amazing and I knew it'd be a while again before I would get to go back. I ended up ordering the large plate of several different options- salad, potato wedges, yams, greens, dahl, quinoa... garlic cashew hummus (mmmmmmm!). It was all SO good! Now here is the truly special part...
While I was enjoying my delicious lunch, a very kind woman approached me saying, "This may be kind of a weird question but, do you like raw chocolate?" Thinking she just wanted my opinion on raw chocolate in general, I replied "Oh, yes, it is really, really good and flavourful." "Okay!" was her reply as she headed over toward the counter. She came back and asked me if I liked durian "Yes" I told her, but I wanted to add that not everyone does, so if it is her first time trying it, she may not like it too much. But she left too fast for me to say anything more. About 3 minutes later, she came back again- with a box of 12 raw chocolates. She placed them in front of me saying, "It's a present." and then left. I sat there for a good few minutes, completely stunned. How often does that happen in life?! What a wonderful, amazing experience! I am so grateful to this woman for her kind generosity. She completely made my day, if not entire experience in London (which... okay, was only a day this time).
Anyway, the rest of the story goes like this: I finished my delicious lunch, ordered a delicious bagel to go, had a very yummy vanilla cupcake... a couple of the chocolates, shared a couple of the chocolates with a couple sitting near me, had no choice but to go get a brownie for the road, and bid farewell to one of my favorite restaurants in the whole world. I am InSpiral-ed to do more random acts of kindness, too!
Until we meet again, InSpiral!

Pros: Amazing food., Beautiful setting., Kind staff.
Cons: Too far from my house., My stomach is too small., Dangrously addictive brownies...
kool_kitchen
kool_kitchen

Good vegan cafe style food

4 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2010

It's got some great vegan/veg food, smoothies, vegan cocktails, salad bar and juices. The best thing is the deleicious desserts that are nutritional and in most cases vegan.

What is on the menu is always well made and tasty. I go there a lot so the menu can be a bit samey. It is very limited for a la carte so there is a set amount of dishes and they do repeat frequently. Also it is a bit cafeteria buffet style and it's rather pricey for the limited dishes on offer and not very large portions.

The seating is okay, much nicer in the summer when you can sit outside downstairs on a nice day and have camden canal as your back drop.

Pros: lots of great vegan desserts, tasty healthy cuisine, vegan cocktails
Cons: bit pricey, portions could be bigger, needs bigger more varied menu
louis
louis

InSpiral Lounge Camden

4 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2009

Was really impressed with this place. As others have said, relaxed atmosphere and friendly staff. Good vegan selection, I enjoyed a hearty tofu and tarragon parcel with potato wedges, two types of vegan mayo then an amazing raw chocolate tart. Try the red cabbage with raisins. Loads of healthy juices available plus decent wine by the glass. My non vegan friends really enjoyed their food too and were especially impressed at the quality of the desserts made without egg, dairy etc. The ice cream looked good. This place is also a social hub for music and other cultural events, the listings looked interesting and if I lived in Camden I would be a regular for the food and some of the events. Reasonable prices too. Perhaps they could just improve a little bit on the hygiene score, I had to swap my cutlery but maybe they just had a bad dishwasher in the night I went.

Pros: good vegan choice, great desserts, lovely staff
Cons: had to swap cutlery
Niels Van Och
Niels Van Och

Lovely place, nice staff

5 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2009

My girlfriend and I had lunch here on a trip to London, and were delighted with this lovely little cafe.

The menu is limited, but the food is high quality. Vegetarian and vegan options, in a buffet with salads. The buffet comes in three sizes, and is available for take away as well.

Inspiral also has a juice bar. I tried a 'Ginger Ninja', which came with a nice chat and tasted quite nice. Furthermore, there is a vegan ice cream stand (ice cream made with cashews). We didn't order any, but got a free sample of some mocha and strawberry ice cream. It was different, but quite nice. Finally, there was dessert: my girlfriend had a slice of peanut butter pie, and she's still talking about it.

The price was quite reasonable: the menu was pretty cheap, the juice was the right price. Only the dessert was a bit expensive, but worth it.

A few notes: Inspiral has free Internet access (ask for a password at the counter), and features regular music performances, mostly electronic. The windows overlook the waterside, which is a nice view.

Pros: very friendly staff, great sweets, free Internet
Cons: little noisy
WildHeartedWoman
WildHeartedWoman

I Scream

5 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2009

I've visited this cafe a few times but last time there had been a revelation. I had a casual peer in the window, wondering if I'd remembered correctly the price of a cup of tea (I had and it's a single English pound) when a poster in the window informed me that if I stepped inside I could purchase a vegan ice cream made almost entirely of raw ingredients. Sugar free and with plenty of choice of flavours.
Confronted by information such as this, I have a tendency to become a giddy saucer-eyed childlike version of myself, and nothing will stand between me and the ice cream. I think my eagerness amused the friendly chap behind the counter who I noticed looking bemusedly at my facial expression as I was reading the poster. I tried samples of the vanilla and mint choc chip ice cream and opted for a scoop of the raw chocolate chunk (Well I had to try as many as possible, it might be a while before I was back!)
Would it be melodramatic to say that I nearly wept with joy upon recieving, and then with sorrow upon finishing my treat? Yes, it was that good. Go and try the ice cream.

Ah yes, they serve other things too. Extremely nice things, and you can get yourself a decent meal to take out or eat in for around £4. Curries, stews, little pizzas, tofu skewers, burgers.. all vegan and all looks enticing but I have yet to try anything savory from In Spiral. I find it difficult to get past the ice creams and stunningly rich, dark chocolate cookies.

Some of the desserts are expensive but this reflects the quality of the ingredients used (often raw, organic and unusual!)

The atmosphere in this place is fantastic. really chilled out thanks to the music, colour scheme and location (right by the canal with a conservatory and some outdoor seating.) There's internet access and a couple of sofas and nobody will rush you.
Stays open late and often there are live music or DJ events in the evenings, which you can enjoy while soaking up the lovely atmosphere, with an organic drink or two.

Pros: So chilled out!, Meals for a good price, THE ICE CREAM!
veganaurora
veganaurora

Fantastic ice-cream!

5 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2009

Visited Inspiral on a warm evening about two weeks ago and was delighted to see their new ice-cream counter. Like the ones they have everywhere but this time each container was filled with vegan, raw ice-cream of all kinds of lovely flavours: the usual like mint-choc-chip, chocolate and vanilla and then the unusual like mulberry and lavender. My friend and I shared a couple of different flavours and they were all creamy and delicious, you wouldn't have imagined they were vegan or raw! I can't wait to go back and try the other flavours. Apparently each flavour has also got some special 'superfood' in it, like wheatgrass in the mint-choc chip I think. Although, you wouldn't have realised. It just tasted like how I remember mint-choc chip before I became vegan! Mmmmm...
We did actually start with a plate of some very nice savoury food: some creamy cauliflour, spicy potato wedges, salad and pasta. And we were greedy enough to share a piece of raw lime cheesecake which was sweet and zesty.
Inspiral is in a very nice location on the canal in Camden so it still manages to have a feel of bustling Camden but you can relax in a veggie/vegan haven.

Pros: delicious dairy free ice-cream, relaxed atmosphere, cake
tinkerbell
tinkerbell

a great place to chill for an hour or two

5 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2009

This is a great place to be. From visiting there, when shopping with the children, for some great fruit smooties and homemade cookies for my two sons. To visiting there in the evening with my husband to enjoy the music and atmosphere.

Great food; whether it's going to be snacks or meals. Great drinks- home made smoothies & juices and the organic perry is fantastic.

A must place to go when visiting Camden

Pros: atmosphere, friendly staff, food & drink
halfpintpixie
halfpintpixie

Scrumptious food, relaxing surroundings

4 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2009

We had a very scrumptious meal here today, all the mains were vegan so we had a large plate each with a bit of everything on it including satay tofu skewers, the amazing cauliflower with cashew "cheese", sweet potato chips, massaman curry, red quinoa, salads and lots more with a topping of raw hummus. It sounds like a lot of food, but it was just the right amount! We followed the meal with a perfect vegan chocolate brownie and soy lattes.

It was busy enough, but nice and relaxed as the rain poured down outside. Our 2.5 year old loved it here, she had a vegan cream cheese bagel and tofu, and spent the meal playing and reading in the lovely children's corner.

Well worth a visit, we're adding it to our must-eat list for our next London trip :)

Pros: Children's corner, lots of vegan food, friendly staff
lysi
lysi

Great atomoshpere, chilled and yummie food

4 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2009

A regular visitor to the InspiralLounge in Camden, I particularly like their relaxed atmosphere, regular but varying events and their raw chocolate truffles and vegan cake selection. Food and cakes change frequently, so even repeat visitors get to try new things. Their raw burger (with humous and salsa) is not only very healthy but also very yummie. The cafe gets quite busy in the evenings, especially if you happen to drop in when there's an event on and service can be a little slow. To be fair, that's often because the staff explain what food is on offer, what's in particular dishes etc. After they have successfully applied for an alcohol license, one no longer needs to order food just to have one of the alcoholic drinks on offer. I would encourage anyone that happens to be in Camden or vicinity to drop by and support this business.

Pros: Chilled out atmosphere, Good cake and choc selection, Nice drinks selection

Lovin it

5 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2009

yep I dropped into the lounge the other day after a day of hectic shopping in camden and loved the place - the vibe was blissful, really chilled and friendly. I had some really adventurous food for pretty reasonable money and then I topped it all with their raw chocolate tart - yummy. I ended up going back the same night cause they had an event on - apparently they do events all the time - and loved it too. I managed to get there just before happy hour stopped at 8pm (every day 6-8pm 30% off) and met a whole bunch of really nice people. the buidling reaches over two floors and you can go out to the jetty by the canal for a smoke if you are so inclined. so yeah - having looked at the menu I am definitely going back there...

Pros: yummy food, reasonably priced, great atmosphere
niallmc
niallmc

Perfect

5 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2008

great food, the other reviews say it all. I just wanted to add my piece to say that this was a joy to visit. great atmosphere and lovely food. You can sit by the window and look out atthe peaceful camden lock on one side and then journey to the other side and see the bustle of camden town.

Pros: atmosphere, food great, good sounds

inSpiral Lounge

5 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2008

The inSpiral Lounge is neatly located right by the bridge overlooking Regents canal providing a perfect hideaway from the hustle and bustle of Camden High street. The Lounge, which is split over two floors with outside canal seating, serves only food prepared using purely organic ingredients.

Food lovers will delight at the wide, healthy and delicious, selection that's on offer. Great breakfast options served all day include; Hemp porridge, yoghurt, granola, toast, fairtrade coffee, hot chocolate, chai, large variety of herbal teas, and great sandwiches.

InSpiral lounge has a selection of hot main dishes, soup of the day and sides available to pick and mix from either to take away or to enjoy in the lounge. A live food department gives you a wide selection of inventive and tasty salads, patés, and raw treats to fully satisfy your needs.

All things on offer are vegetarian, mostly vegan, with a conscious catering towards food intolerants, straightforward labeling and choice, with knowledgeable and helpful staff always at hand to assist in your gourmet choice.

Also on offer are a large variety of snacks, vegan cakes, cheesecakes, brownies, flapjacks and healthy and delicious raw chocolates.

The Bar in the lounge offers Freshly squeezed fruit and root juices, Noni Juice, Wheat grass shots and dairy free smoothies packed full with superfoods and goodness, as well as a full range of organic and biodynamic wines, champagnes, liqueurs, beers, ciders and spirits. inSpiral lounge prides itself in being a 100% organic cocktail bar and carries a selection of classic cocktails as well as a few exclusive inSpiralled recipes. It's also the only cocktail bar in the UK to offer Sensatonics herbal elixirs.

In front of the bar, a prominent recycling area clues in customers on the values promoted at InSpiral Lounge, while besides it Superfoods, books and CDs are on sale. The same counter holds three computers free for customers to brows the internet; wifi connection is also provided. As is a small play area for kids in the downstairs room.

At night inSpiral lounge undergoes a transformation and becomes a magical glowing beacon on the high street and the canal, with full media and lighting installations. The lounge offer forward thinking events ranging from film nights, to inspiring workshops and musical journeys, from both acoustic artists and DJ's.

It's a great place and I go every time I am in Camden Town...

Pros: 100% Organic
  • JohnnySensible JohnnySensible

Nicely written - I want to visit soon !

Jemima
Jemima

Pretty much hits all major bases

4 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2008

Turn right when you get out of Camden Town tube station, stay on the same side of the road and you'll reach it just before the road goes over Camden Lock. I think it is a wheelchair friendly entrance. Just inside the entrance there are stairs going down to another restaurant, by the Lock I think.
Bright and light in white, lime green with some brown wood furniture/ fittings. There is a sort of media station on the right side from which music is transmitted. Music artists, mostly DJs play there fairly regularly I think. There is internet access. There is wireless too. Tables are placed around and the back of the cafe has full length windows which look out on to the lock. There are lots of benches around there, absent of tables proper...There are magazines and books on shelves about for sale, ranging from the New Internalionalist to new age. CDs are also around for sale.
I went at 12.30pm on a week day and there were probably about five other people/units of people in there. I wonder what it is like on the weekends. I wonder if it is heaving with people hanging around..

I was the first to be served lunch from the food bar. I had a medium bowl of vegetable bake, steamed/ boiled vegetables and salads. The vegetable bake was scrumptious. The broccoli was a bit overcooked. The salads were fresh and healthy with varied vegetables, sprouts and grains. The food is organic. They serve small and large bowls also. There was also a yummy looking desert section of the bar and there are loads of blocks of chocolate around which you can buy.
There is also a lunch fridge with drinks and salads and sandwiches which you can grab for lunch - or whenever I guess.

Service was fine, by a Camdenite or someone who feels he is one anyway, I presume - dressed in the clothing of the genre of his choosing.

Value was pretty good.

For me this is a superstrong four. I am just a bit hesitant due to not seen it on weekends when it might be hugely busy also did the server handle money then sprinkle smthg on someone's food omitting to wash his hands? One of the spots on the first piece of cutlery I took wasn't clean, the other spots were watermarks.

Pros: Organic and pretty good value, location - not far from tube, great view, wireless
Cons: Maybe hygiene could improve a bit

Dear Owner and Manager of InSpiral Lounge: