Long-time operating vegetarian restaurant/cafe, established since 1981. Emphasizes farm-to-table cuisine, and many menu items could be ordered vegan upon request. Has vegan desserts. Sunday is brunch menu. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, American, Mexcian, International, Pizza, Kosher

vallonicka
vallonicka

Great but not Fanstic

4 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2014

Being a vegan in Michigan is tough, Inn Season is one of only a few places to find a decent prepared meal that is vegan, and even knows what vegans are. The opera cake, is fantastic, and most dishes are decent to really good (pizzas, botana, etc...)

Prices are bit high, but that's the area, and the service is always friendly and great.

Pros: Good selection, Great treats & drinks
Cons: Price
RLovesGreen
RLovesGreen

Always Good

5 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2013

I love Inn Season because it focuses on whole plant-based foods and they have some amazing desserts. It definitely is the place you can take people who are die-hard meat eaters as well. It's also a little packed but I assume that's because we need more vegan friendly places in the area and I wouldn't want them to expand. That's when places become mass produced and the quality of food drops. It might be little expensive to some but for me to be able to eat almost the entire menu, it's SO worth it. I would recommend a million times over.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Great Food, Good Value
Mariarosekicks
Mariarosekicks

delicious

4 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2013

Came in on a Friday night and it was pretty busy. This place is popular and they definitely earned it. Great food and great service. Had a delicious vegan pizza with portabella mushrooms and garlic walnuts and a vegan coconut cream cake for dessert. Very delicious

ashleyrust
ashleyrust

Must try!

5 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2012

For vegans and vegetarians alike, this menu can satisfy. It's fairly small place, which gives it an intimate and cozy vibe. I imagine it gets packed quickly though! Prices are a little high, but the portions are large, and the food is fresh and delicious. Definitely coming back!
Updated from previous review on Thursday August 30, 2012
Updated from previous review on Thursday August 30, 2012

Pros: yummy, menu variety, cozy
Cons: a bit pricey
rklaw
rklaw
  • herbivore

Outstanding!

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2012

I have never had a bad meal at Inn Season. My favorites are the tofu-chickpea omelette and the mushroom soup. I disagree with the reviewers who say the service is bad or slow: This is simply not the kind of restaurant you go to if you want to be in and out in 35 minutes.

Also, while I cannot speak to the accuracy of the claim that Inn Season offers few vegan and gluten free options at the time that review was posted, I can say that that is not the case now. This is one of the most Veg- and Celiac-friendly restaurants I have ever visited, with lots of choices for any dietary preference, except for perhaps someone who eats exclusively meat (lol.) I have to call BOGUS on the assertion that it is pointless to state that something is wheat free if it isn't gluten free: you can have a wheat allergy without being gluten intolerant, and more restaurants should strive to disclose common allergens to the degree that Inn Season does.

Pros: variety, freshness, specials
Cons: BUSY for Sun brunch (but worth wait!)
vegman444
vegman444

Simply one of the best Veg restaurants in the U.S.

5 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2012

It really doesn't get any better than Inn Season. Healthy, tasty, lots of bang for your buck, and a helpful, happy staff and owner who immediately make you feel like a member of their family, as if you've been going there for years. This place gets it. They know how to make healthy food taste interesting, even the salads and dressings/sauces were memorable. I was so torn as to what to get, we summoned the owner over to our table and he was a great help. I chose the special, which may only pop up once in a lifetime, so grab them specials! And save room...the desserts...oh my, the desserts are HUGE and aMAZING!

Pros: Tasty & Healthy, Service & Selection, Desserts!
Cons: Wish they'd open earlier for breakfast, Too far from my home!
Seitan_Nic
Seitan_Nic

A Go-To For Detroit Area Vegetarians

5 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2011

If I lived in the Detroit area, this place would be a staple choice for me. Mostly vegan and everything I've had here has been delicious. I really like the pizzas (available with the amazing Daiya cheese, of course!). I particularly like the Bistro pizza and the Portabella. They make good sandwiches and salads too.

Pros: Many vegan options, Good service, Pizza
Cons: --, --, --
veggieluv.r
veggieluv.r

Fabulous Food

5 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2011

We were introduced to Inn Season Cafe's food at a Wellness Seminar. Not only did the food all look fresh and appetizing, but everything we tried was absolutely delicious. We finally made it over to the restaurant and found the food to be just as wonderful. Thank you for giving us a wonderful place to snack and dine !!!

Pros: delicious, healthy, good value
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

The place to go in Detroit

5 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2010

The best in Detroit and it shows, apparently they've been in business for about 30 years (according to my friend). We both got burgers and they were both very tasty...my friend's meal was better than mine, but mine tasted even better the following day.

So here's the rundown of what we got:

1. Black bean avocado quesadilla (vegan) - I thought it was OK, wouldn't order again
2. Forth Street Burger (vegan) - totally good and even better the following day
3. The Big Baprawski (vegan) - pretty amazing
4. Hot fudge brownie (vegan) - very good and very rich

Overall, if you're vegan this is probably the place to go if you're in Detroit.

Keith_Thode
Keith_Thode

The Standard for All Others in SE Michigan.

5 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2010

This restaurant has survived all the others of its type in the metro Detroit area, and there's a reason. There's a varied selection of great mostly vegan food. Desserts to die for. Friendly staff.

THanks

5 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2010

absolutely tasty. i had the beggars banquet, chai, and some desserts to go. Everything was so great! and the server was greatly helpful and friendly. I am so happy I found this place.

Pros: great food , decor, friendly staff
medicinecat
medicinecat

Eureka! I have found it!

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2009

Yes, I have found it, the Holy Grail of vegan food! The food is wonderful and creatively prepared and presented, the cafe cheery and clean and bright, and the staff is friendly and confident and seem to know that they are providing a service to humanity! Which of course they are! I cheered when I found out that they are supplying their incredible vegan baked goods to The Detroit Film Theatre in the Detroit Institute of Arts. Now, when you see a movie at the DIA, go early and enjoy Inn Season's Cardomon Cake or their Opera Cake in the balcony level's Crystal Gallery!

Pros: creative menu , ultra fresh, great staff
animallawgal
animallawgal

Not fair to claim its been around over 20 years...

3 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2009

because this place has changed hands, chefs, etc. several times. Inn Season has not always been a vegetarian restaurant, and they seem to change whether or not they serve fish, etc. every couple years. Their standard menu is over priced and nothing special, but the current chef does create some wonderful specials. I always call ahead and listen to the recorded message listing their specials before deciding to go. Inn Season doesn't hold a candle to other vegetarian restaurants in Chicago, NYC, etc. in either their menu selections or value, but it is the best we have in the Detroit area. The brunch menu, however, offered on Sunday morns only, is my favorite thing about Inn Season. Both the regular menu items and specials for brunch are consistently yummy, but the service is sometimes horrid. I officially gave up on eating in for brunch after MULTIPLE Sunday mornings of watching the very young staff spend time sitting down at tables with their friends, ignore the tables they are supposed to be waiting on, and just all-around act clueless; fortunately for Inn Season I love their brunch enough to order it for take out instead. In sharp contrast, I have usually had great service when eating in for dinner. If the waitress with the long blond curly hair still works there (sorry I forget her name!) try to request her because she is the most knowledgeable, hardworking, and has worked there for a long time. Also, note they (pointlessly) list several items as wheat free, they are NOT gluten-free at all, if you have a co-diner with concerns about that. And yes, the opera cake (and other desserts) are the best! Order some dessert to go, you'll love it!

Pros: vegan friendly, smoke free, great desserts
Cons: no gluten-free options, tend to run out of the specials, horrible waitstaff on day shift
  • innseasoncafe innseasoncafe

"Not fair to claim its been around over 20 years..." because this place has changed hands, chefs, etc. several times. Inn Season has not always been a vegetarian restaurant, and they seem to change whether or not they serve fish, etc. every couple years."

The Inn Season Cafe was started in 1981, the chef at that time was George Vutetakis, who purchased it 4 years later. The current head chef, Thomas Lasher, has been there over two decades, working under Chef Vutetakis and then becoming head chef in 2002. This reviewers comments lack merit when it is considered that only TWO head chefs have been at the helm over a 28 year period.

In addition, the Inn Season Cafe was began as a macrobotic and vegetarian restaurant, and in the case of macrobotics, some fish are permitted in the diet. The Inn Season has not served fish in over a decade, and all the menu items save for ceaser salad dressing and a couple desserts are entirely VEGAN, although cheese may be added.

"Inn Season doesn't hold a candle to other vegetarian restaurants in Chicago, NYC, etc. in either their menu selections or value, but it is the best we have in the Detroit area."

In April 2008, Health Magazine named the Inn Season as one of the 6 best independent restaurants in the nation with a healthy menu, along with other notables as Chez Panisse in Califorina, the others in LA, NYC, Chicago, and Atlanta.

With regard to value, there is no other restaurant in Michigan that has the quality of incoming food as the Inn Season Cafe. Over 7 local and organic farmers supply the produce to the restaurant, and all grains, beans, and most other products are organic, far more that any other restaurant in the Midwest. We are also the only restaurant in Michigan that belongs supports Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) by purchasing shares in Maple Creek Farm of Yale, MI, one of the largest organic farms in Michigan.

• innseasoncafe innseasoncafe

We also have a gluten free menu.

• innseasoncafe innseasoncafe

Our organic tofu is made from Michigan grown organic soybeans, for example. Our organic grains and beans come from Hampshire Farms, an organic farm in Michigan, as much as they can provide. These are the behind-the-scenes effort that make a difference in how you feel when you eat the food. If you care about what you eat, consider the Inn Season Cafe.

SuzieQ
SuzieQ

Can't say enough good things...

5 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2009

Inn Season is hands down my favorite restaurant in the Metro Detroit area. I have never been disappointed in a meal there, and I'm finally able to enjoy eating brunch again (the oatmeal and dry doesn't cut it!). Order from their Specials menu...the unique flavor combinations are out of this world. They always offer fresh baked vegan desserts, too.

Pros: excellent food, reasonably priced, uses local and organic when possible
Cons: small, so wait can be long
Jim Bowman
Jim Bowman

My All-Time Favorite Vegetarian Restaurant

5 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2009

Inn Season was the first vegetarian restaurant I ever visited (as a child), and it's still my favorite. I really started to appreciate it when I started visiting other vegetarian restaurants and found out how far behind most of them are in terms of cuisine. The menu is superb, and there are specials that change regularly. Some of the dinner specials can be a little pricey (around $15-$20), but there are inexpensive sandwiches and Mexican options, too. Vegan options are clearly marked on the menu. All meals are served with fresh bread, butter, and honey, and the desserts are out of this world. (I personally recommend the chocolate hazlenut sandwich.) The service is very good overall. There can be a wait- sometimes a long wait - at dinner, but the food is worth it.

Pros: Excellent Menu, Good Service, Amazing Desserts
Cons: Very Busy Fri/Sat night
veganinvegas
veganinvegas

Oh to have such restaurants throughout the country

5 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2008

You know you are in a great restaurant when you don't have to explain your food preferences to servers. The Budapest Mushroom soup is FANTASTIC, ALL of the desserts are to die for, the specials are well.. special!. I only wish this was a franchise. :) I don't care how long the wait is for the food.. it is worth it just to be able to eat EVERYTHING on the menu.

Pros: can have anything off the menu, DESSERTS!, did I mention DESSERTS?
Cons: small & crowded, 2500 miles from my house :), wont ship food out West :(
DasTeufulNagatier
DasTeufulNagatier

Incredible!

5 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2008

This was the best vegan meal I've ever had! The other reviewers were right about the slow service, but it's worth it! The "opera" cake I had for dessert was unbelievable!

VeganismRocks!
VeganismRocks!

Inn Season Cafe ROCKS for Vegan Food - Scrumptious

5 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2008

Just tell them you are VEGAN and "Don't Worry, Be Happy!" The food is scrumptious, and the service is very personable and accommodating! The variety of salads, dishes, desserts, drinks, etc. is wonderful. The 4th Street Burger is FAB! The atmosphere has a quaint and homey feeling. My hubby is from Royal Oak, but we still only get there occasionally and I got really hungry just reading their menu again! Hope to get back there before too long. Nothing like this near Knoxville, TN or anywhere else we have lived!

Pros: friendly staff, excellent food, healthy cuisine
sallyshine01
sallyshine01

excellent

4 Posted on 03 / 13 / 2008

My boyfriend and I thought it was great food with a very quaint enviorment. Service was a little slow, but we were in no hurry

erbavore
erbavore

good food, great service

5 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2008

The food at the Inn Season Cafe is unique to its own class. It seems to be very Heavy European Cuisine. The pull off combinations of food that shouldn't go together, yet melt in your mouth.
In addition, the service is wonderful!!

I am always joyful when you walk into a veggie restaurant and have to wait for a table!!

Pros: service, taste of food, the place was packed with customers
Cons: price
lauriesny
lauriesny

Small But Mighty

5 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2007

Enjoyed brunch here on Sundays a few times. Creative foods, international flair, attractively prepared, delicious and healthful. Enjoyed enchiladas, prune cake, delicious vegan muffins, fruits in season, potato cakes, and new entrees each month.

Pros: creative, tasty, lots of variety
Cons: crowded, on street parking
Guest

There's a reason it has been around for 20 years!

5 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2007

This restaurant is always a joy, from the friendly staff, the inventive dishes (try the vegan cheesecake!), to the artwork decore. I have been here many times, but still get excited when someone suggests a meal at this establishment!

Dear Owner and Manager of Inn Season Cafe:

Thank you for being a Premium FRIEND supporter.

There's another way to promote your business on HappyCow:

Advertise your large, custom banner on the Royal Oak page, or any other regional page.

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2013/07/17