Serves meat, veg options available. More upscale, modern Indian restaurant with interesting takes on traditional food. Labels which items are vegan without ghee and gluten. Live sitar music on Fridays. Reservations suggested on weekend nights. Prices from moderate to slightly expensive. Price: Expensive more-less
Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Delivery, Non-veg
801 N Charles St
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
443-449-6483

Tue-Fri 11:30am-2:30pm, Tue-Thu 5:00pm-9:30pm, Fri-Sat 5:00pm-10:30pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-3:00pm, Sun 5:00pm-9:30pm

First Review by shanbogen
corvid
corvid

Best Indian buffet for vegans in Baltimore

Posted on 06 / 10 / 2015

Okay, so I avoided this place for a long time even knowing that they advertised as vegan-friendly (unusual for an Indian restaurant). The name put me off, and I got the impression it was kind of upscale. But one day my girlfriend and I decided to try the weekend buffet, figuring it would be more laid-back. Well, we were instant converts. This is a large buffet and everything that is vegan or vegetarian is labeled as such. I have been to most of the Indian buffets in the area and you cannot get this variety of vegan food at any other buffet. At most you are limited to one or two entrees. Here you can often find at least 3 times that many. And it's never the same tired old choices, either. They really make an effort to keep the buffet diverse and interesting from week to week.

There is also a separate raw salad and steamed vegetable bar that is always very fresh with seasonal vegetables. I have never seen spring mix on any other Indian buffet. "Salad" usually translates to iceberg lettuce with some tomato chunks and carrot discs. Not so here.

My one quibble is that the desserts are never marked as vegan or not. However, you can find out if you track down the right staff person. If you like sweets, this is worth doing because sometimes they are vegan!

The buffet is on the high end price-wise for the Baltimore area but it is worth it to have so many vegan options and a generally higher quality of food than found on other area buffets. If you want to go for dinner, you will probably pay more ordering from the menu, although the servings are more than sufficient. I recommend going on Tuesday night which is their half-price Thaali special. You get a choice of 8 items, which includes unlimited bread and a dessert (vegan mango ice cream, anyone?). Be sure to explain to the server that you are vegan, though, as not all the choices are vegan (including the bread! Another reviewer mentioned asking for unbuttered naan, but I'd like to point out that in general you should always assume that naan is NOT vegan, unless labeled as such. It is traditionally made with milk and/or yogurt. The naan at Indigma is *not* vegan, but they can bring you roti instead).

Anyway, I'm really glad I gave this place a chance because even though I do think it's a fancier place than I usually frequent, the quality of the buffet definitely makes it worthwhile. And when I was there for dinner on my birthday the owner (or manager?) gave me a gift card toward a future meal! How nice.

Pros: amazing food, very vegan friendly
Cons: formal atmosphere if that bothers you, service on buffet days can be spotty
DanielAmaral
DanielAmaral

I expected more.

Posted on 01 / 05 / 2015

Well, as a huge fan of indian food Ihad great expectations about this place, but the take out I ordered was kind of messy and with the spicies kind of messed up. Try to eatin the restaurant to have a better experience.

Pros: nice staff
Cons: messed up take-out, weird spices
shanbogen
shanbogen

Creative and tasty Indian food

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2014

First of all, I'll point out that Indigma has a separate vegan/gluten-free (don't ask why they're lumped together in one category, but they are) part of the menu. There is also an 'Earth' section which is vegetarian (has cheese & butter in most dishes though). Many of the appetizers are also vegan and your server will be happy to help you with any questions. I have always gotten great service here, very friendly and welcoming.

I'd recommend the Gobi Manchurian (spicy cauliflower), Avocado Pakoras (deep fried battered avocado) for appetizers. Anything off of the vegan menu is good for an entree. I think they can also bring you non-buttered naan but I'm not positive.

All in all everything here is delicious. Once in a while the fried dishes I order aren't as crisp as I'd like, maybe because they are just heating up the fryer for the first time that day. Pretty good cocktails. Everything is well seasoned. Expect dishes from a range of regions in India, not just the typical stuff you see on Indian menus.

Pros: Separate veg menus, Great service, Unique and delicious food
Cons: Food quality occasionally falls, Could have a bigger vegan selection.

Dear Owner and Manager of Indigma: