Indian Veg Bhel Poori House

Snack foods, all-you-can-eat buffet, and drinks. Brown rice available. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Buffet, Indian

Mon-Sun 12:00pm-11:30pm

First Review by Jemima
MarkHelmy
MarkHelmy

Cheap, delicious all you can eat

Posted on 08 / 04 / 2014

I went here with a few friends recently and didn't know what to expect. Safe to say I was presently surprised. Its basically an Indian all you can eat buffet for around £5/6. There is a large selection of curries, a few rice options including brown, a salad cart, some sort of small nan bread things and something that is labeled as onion delicacies which were very tasty! NOTE NOT ALL CURRIES ARE VEGAN ASK WAITER.

The restaurant itself is decorated in a bizarre way with veg conscious posters covering every available wall space. You can also bring your own drinks so a quick stop to sainsburys next door is all that's required. Something else to consider is that the restaurant doesn't have air conditioning which when I went in July was almost un bearable. Overall very good!

Pros: Lots of choice, Bring your own drinks, Good location
Cons: No air con and restaurant gets hot
lironme3
lironme3

Value for money

Posted on 01 / 18 / 2014

We really enjoyed this buffet. The curries were made with a lot of oil but there were a good selection of salads and 2 dishes which were not oily that much. The price is now 5.50. We will definitely visit again.

Pros: cheap, good selection of salads
Cons: Some dishes were made with a lot of oil
AgaTrzak
AgaTrzak

Excellent

Posted on 12 / 18 / 2013

Everything was perfect. Very nice staff, prices are cheap and the food is the best. Lots of vegan options (only 1 dish and 1 sauce were vegetarian) and our non-veg friend loved it too. Amazing! om nom nom

Pros: nice staff, best food, good price

imogenmichel
imogenmichel

Very cheap, tasty Indian food

Posted on 01 / 24 / 2013

I enjoyed coming here for the first time this month, and was very pleased to learn on arrival that all the dishes out for the buffet that evening happened to be vegan, although I would have appreciated signs being out to say what the dishes were and whether or not they were vegan. I had a very filling and tasty dinner here with friends and will definitely be back!
Updated from previous review on Thursday January 24, 2013

Pros: Extremely cheap, Good vegan range, Relaxed setting
Cons: No signs indicating vegan dishes, Staff very rushed
bencamps
bencamps

Can be depended upon!

Posted on 01 / 10 / 2013

I've probably been going to Indian Veg Bhel Poori for around seven years now and always feel safe that I shall get a good meal (and likely leave feeling stuffed having over done it, again). It hasn't changed much over the years, there is more to read on the walls, the salad bar has expanded as has the range of soft drinks. You can't buy alcohol anymore but are welcome to bring your own for no charge. The thing that really remains the same is the high quality of the food on offer and the amazing value for money. It's now £4.99 but trust me this is the best bargain eats place in London for sure. I've often come here before going to a gig in Angel and it always works out a cheap night as after I've been Bhel Poori I'm always to full to drink any beer at the gig! Vegans just be careful of the Panneer that's in usually only one of the curries, it's best to ask.

Pros: Uber cheap, Tastes great, Healthy
Cons: Could be 100% vegan?, I actually like the propaganda...
xeroidchick
xeroidchick
  • non-vegetarian

Indian Veg Bhel Poori House

Posted on 12 / 19 / 2012

I go to this restaurant as many times as possible when I visit London. Without doubt it is my favourite restaurant. - I am a meat eater and not fond of much vegetarian food, but I actually found this food really tasty indeed and suits me... (It is the only vegetarian restaurant I go to.)
You can bring your own drinks BYOB along too, but I actually love their huge selection of good drinks, so I buy the drinks there, to support the place as well.

The proprietor sends money from the restaurant to India to help buy teaching materials for schools etc. (he has family who are school teachers there) - So not only do you have a yummy meal, but some of the proceeds go towards helping others. (see Youtube video link below) - It is an 'Eat all you want' Indian buffet for the very good price of £4.95 - I say good because London is expensive to eat out in on average... unless you go for buffets coated in M.S.G.

I have never been disappointed with the food every time I have been here... I am always satisfied with the choices/selection of food provided.

The staff are also very nice. I shall be going there for my early Christmas meal this Friday. - My friends emailed me to day with this video link for the place:

The video is nearly 10 minutes long so if you want to skip to the charities who have written to the proprietor, thanking him for his support and donations, then skip ahead to this time on the video: 5:56

Overall great value for money in my opinion!!

Pros: inexpensive, good value for money, great food
hrefna
hrefna

Cheap Healthy Food

Posted on 02 / 21 / 2012

Indian Veg is a star of London, they've been managing to create good, healthy, tasty food on a shoestring budget for more years than I can count. The curries are heavy on swede, cabbage, carrot and other standbys of budget cookery, the chefs use whatever is available cheap at the moment. And they use it very well, getting maximum flavour and enjoyment from their ingredients. And right outside the door is one of the remaining authentic markets of London, where you can get your own inexpensive food to cook at home. This is a very casual place, feel free to come in on your own & read as you eat.

Pros: Tasty, Healthy, Cheap
Cons: Maybe you wanted , yucky, unhealthy & expensive?
Nostoc
Nostoc

Good Buffet

Posted on 10 / 12 / 2011

All you can eat for £4.50. Good place tucked away down Islington's Chapel Market.

raphalla
raphalla

It is 4.50 pounds now :)

Posted on 10 / 11 / 2011

Went there on Tuesday evening at around 6pm with my family. It wasn't busy. The restaurant is easy to find. If you come from Angel underground, cross the road and Chapel Market street is just right at the corner of department store M&S. To get there, you will pass by Iceland supermarket. The restaurant is full with propaganda for vegetarianism. No complain about the decoration, i think it is just basic Indian style, like those that i had visited right in India. They had brown rice, white rice, briyani rice, 3-4 salads, 1-2 appetizers, 3-4 main dishes and a couple of Indian dried snacks. I think the main dishes were a bit too oily but my brother thought they just tasted so good! They 'encourage' their customers to bring they own wine at no extra charge, one can buy the soft drinks/ juice directly from the fridge. We had a sweet lassi, it was good. The down side for our visit was, they did not have high chair for my 22 months toddle.

Pros: Price, Location
Cons: No high chair, Food a bit oilly
beitme
beitme

Cheap

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2011

After studying late into the night, I often visited this place for a cheap evening meal. Emphasis is laid on 'cheap' for the saying "you get what you pay for" stands appropriate here. Not the best food, not much variety, and the hosts can assume a bit more consideration for their guests; but for the price of vegetarian food - in London - this spot wins merit. Some elegance in decor would be nice as well; it's not the coziest of restaurants.

Pros: cheap, open late
Cons: bland taste, poor atmosphere, inconsiderate staff
heywood100
heywood100

Excellent!

Posted on 01 / 10 / 2011

Astonishingly cheap all-you-can-eat buffet curry in the centre of London, and that in itself should be enough to get you down there. As a few of the other reviews say, it's not exactly a luxurious setting, but the food is tasty, filling and, perhaps most importantly in London, cheap!

Alyson
Alyson

Amazing value and great food

Posted on 12 / 06 / 2010

An all you can eat Indian vegetarian buffet, for only £3.95! Fantastic! When I was there last weekend all the dishes but one sauce were vegan. As the place filled up they changed the big pans of curries etc, meaning I kept on having to go up and get a little taste of the new dish. Word of warning - DO NOT OVER EAT! It is very easy to overeat. I also had a lovely soya mango lassi. It's a very relaxed place to be, and even if you go on your own (as I was), I didn't feel out of place. Definitely worth going. I think they also did take-aways.

Only downside, as someone else has said, is that the dishes aren't labelled with their names.

Pros: Great value, tasty, low key
Cons: dishes not named
captain_sensible
captain_sensible

It may not be posh - but it's PERFECT!

Posted on 11 / 22 / 2010

This place is wonderful.... starters bahjis and the like, big steaming tubs of hearty Indian nosh, 3 types of rice, and veggie propaganda all over the walls. Well, a big pic of Joanna Lumley is always going to go down well - as does the food itself which is delicious.

Vegetarians have to take care to eat enough protein so there's a pulse / bean based curry provided here as the owners are clearly on a mission to make visitors happy AND healthy.

It's not posh..... don't expect yourself to be sitting next to the Beckhams, but that's a plus in my book. They can have the overpriced meat emporiums, I prefer this excellent eaterie.

It's the perfect place to eat before attending a gig at the Islington Academy AND they have a nice selection of chilled bottled beers so all in all the place is just about perfect!

And I haven't even mentioned the fact that it's the best food deal in London!

Well, I have now. Not to be missed!

Pros: Tasty, Nutritious , Evangelistical vegetarian
piffelina
piffelina

what we needed

Posted on 02 / 28 / 2010

after an exhausting day out on the town, this place was exactly what we needed. the only complaint i have is that it was so good, that i had to take one portion more, and i shouldn't have, because it made me really full.

we were seated in the inner left corner next to a poster with "weird facts", which was quite amusing.

food was really great! only minus is that i thought it was a bit hard to tell the different curries apart. it would have been great if they were labeled (also in hotness, because one was much more hotter than the others) + non-vegan items also labeled.

Pros: cheap!, easy to find/close to tube, good food if you like indian
Cons: nonn-vegan foods not labeled
Caryne
Caryne

Great all you can eat indian buffet

Posted on 07 / 08 / 2009

I've gone here many, many times over the years and always really enjoy. Ok, it's not flash and not in the nicest area (it's about five minutes from the Angel tube, hardly the long walk others have implied!!) but for £3.95 for an all you can eat indian feast you can't go wrong. All the curries are vegan with the only non-vegan items being some salads (easily avoided). There are several types of rice, including brown, and lots of extras including bread, poppadoms, fried savouries etc. There are about five different curries and the pots are regularly replenished so they don't 'sit around' for long, which can happen in some of these 'all you can eat' places. The walls are covered in information and facts about vegetarians and the staff are friendly. There aren't really any desserts though there are lassi's (vegan and dairy) that are worth trying (sadly despite having several vegan lassi's on the menu they've only ever had the soya mango one available when I go...I wish they'd take the others off the menu).
Yes, the place isn't the smartest and could do with a bit of tidying up and redecorating but if you are a fan of good indian food and don't want to spend a fortune you should try this place.
Finally, for somewhere that is so proud, so it seems, of being 'cruelty-free' they do need a better understanding of vegetarian/vegan alcohol. I suspect the owners may not drink themselves but several of the alcoholic drinks available(ie Guiness) are not suitable for veggies...this needs addressing. That is my only real complaint though for this highly recommended place. I would have given it 5 stars if all the alcohol was vegetarian.

Pros: Very cheap, Lots for vegans, All you can eat style
Cons: Non-veg alcohol, Could do with a lick of paint
khb
khb

Very good value for money

Posted on 05 / 27 / 2008

My experience was similar to that of the reviewer just below. We went at around 8:00 on a Saturday evening, and while there were plenty of other customers, there were also plenty of empty tables, so we were seated right away. There were three types of rice (pilau, plain white rice, and brown rice), four curries (but two appeared to be the same and two others were similar) plus dal, fried bread, fried starters, plus sauces and salads. The food was all right. The curries all contained potatoes, but they were still flavorful and substantial. Fresh batches of several items were brought out during the hour or so that we were there. Everything on the buffet was dairy-free, from what I could tell.

There is a large refrigerated case containing canned and bottled soft drinks of many kinds. There's also a separate drinks menu for things like tea and lassi. The drinks are offered at normal restaurant prices, not the ridiculously cheap 3.95 buffet price, so if you have more than one or two, you'll be paying more for your drinks than for your food. But it's still a bargain.

Pros: Cheap, Vegan, Soya mango lassi
Cons: Nothing fancy
Jemima
Jemima

Poss Cheapest Meal in London

Posted on 03 / 24 / 2008

Once you get to Chapel Market from Angel station keep walking until you reach the restaurant, failry far down where it gets quieter, signboarded in green and white on the left hand side.
Cheap and cheery, yellow lighting, vegetarian propaganda on much of walls. Busy on a weeknight with many groups and pairs dropping in after work and sport for some judging by their appearance.
All you can eat buffet consisting of entrees pappadams and onion bhajis, five curries, about five types of rice, bread, pickles/salad. The drinks menu is quite extensive. Food was fair. Mango lassi was quite good.
Service was pleasant, prompt, knowledgeable and accomodating.
Great value!

Pros: Cheap and cheery
Guest
Guest

£3.95 buffet?

Posted on 06 / 14 / 2007

If this is the right restaurant, it is a treasure to know about. For £3.95 you can eat all you want, no dairy produce, about 5 different curries AND ...what a marvel and worth going for...BROWN RICE!!!
The drinks are extensive, the decor is interseting(posters about vegetarianism in India and health facts) and even though it's a bit of a walk from Angel, in not such a pretty area, this restaurant is well worth passing by. Maybe too many tempting fried foods, but it is still worth it, if you keep off those.

Pros: staff efficient, not too noisy, interesting customers
Cons: ugly area, in need of refurbishing

Dear Owner and Manager of Indian Veg Bhel Poori House: