Indian Restaurant Shama

Soy meat tikkas, wheat gluten meat curries, and more. Recommend the eggplant Keema curry with minced gluten meat and Tikka with soy ham. They can convert many items to vegan if asked. This restaurant is NPO running an orphanage and school in Bihar, India so you can donate by eating here. Location is across the street from a Starbucks in Yotsubashi. Address in Japanese: Japan, 大阪府大阪市西区北堀江1-3-7 倉商ビルB1. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian
Kurasho Bldg, B1. 1-3-7, Kitahorie, Nishi-ku (Yotsubashi station (exit. 6))
Osaka, Japan 550-0014
06-6536-6669

Open daily.

First Review by David Ward
JesseD
JesseD

Vegans be careful

3 Posted on 05 / 10 / 2014

I've visited this restaurant on my last two visits to Osaka. I found the food delicious, and the owner friendly and very passionate about his cause (educating homeless children in India) so I was happy to eat there and support it. So I'm reluctant to write a somewhat negative review, but feel the need to warn vegans to watch what they eat there.

On my last visit, nearly two months ago, I was assured that their vege meat was vegan, and as such I ordered a set meal with it. Always mistrustful of fake meat (which usually contains milk, often egg and sometimes worse) I left the slither of fake meat on my plate. Otherwise the meal was delicious.

After my meal I explained to the owner that I have a vegan blog (true) and wanted to promote his restaurant on it, but first I needed to be absolutely sure that it was vegan, and that fake meat often isn't, so I asked if I could see the packet it came from. He quickly got it out of the fridge, and when I checked the ingredients it contained milk protein. The owner seemed genuinely surprised and apologetic, and explained that he had been assured by the supplier it was suitable for vegans (and he said he couldn't read the ingredients himself).

He asked for my email address, and said he would check with the supplier and let me know. It seemed a bit strange since the ingredients clearly stated it contained milk, but he seemed genuinely concerned so I gave it to him.

It's now been over a month, and I haven't heard from him. I also see soy ham still listed on their vegan menu, and another reviewer here saying he was served non-vegan food after ordering vegan within the last year. So I guess it's possible he's replaced it with another vegan soy meat (though I don't know of one in Japan), or there's some other explanation, but for now I just want to warn vegans to stay away from the fake meat (whatever you're told), and to be careful to ensure that your meal is vegan.

Pros: delicious Indian food, fairly priced and supports a good cause, convenient location
Cons: dubious vegan food, small, underground location
Hsin yu
Hsin yu

Delicious Indian food

5 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2014

Close to Shinsaibashi Station,very convenient.Many different types of menu.The Restaurant is smaller,but very Delicious. The boss is very kind.He can speak English and Japanes.

laminarflow027
laminarflow027

Definitely worth a visit!

5 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2014

As mentioned in the description, the soy-tikka and the eggplant (soy) keema curry are absolutely delicious. Totally worth it. There are a number of other innovative Indian-style soy dishes that were really tempting but we couldn't try them all. I'd definitely like to go there again and sample the rest of the items in the menu.

The place (like every other vegetarian/vegan restaurant in Japan) was hard to find. The sign in front of the restaurant is in Japanese and is also very small. The only way to recognize the place is to look for Indian decor, and walk downstairs to find the place. The owner is Indian, and speaks better English than Japanese.

Pros: Great food, Innovative recipes, Number of veggie/vegan options
Cons: Hard to find, Entrance is underground, Place is small
elena6324
elena6324

I'd Go Back!

5 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2014

I was so happy to eat here. Pretty easy to find, simple lunch menu (English), friendly staff, tasty food, great value. When I got here at 11:30 it was empty. By the time I left it was filling up. Notes: When you walk downstairs go straight. To the right is another restaurant. Also, the food here is not hot/spicy, which is great for me. But if you like it hot you may need to ask. them. Also, it's pretty small so plan accordingly.

Pros: Tasty Food, Large Quantity, Friendly
Cons: Small
rebeccalw21
rebeccalw21

Try the ladies set

4 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2013

I've been to this restaurant a few times. Its in the heart of Namba/Shinsaibashi so easy to get to and easy to find as it is on the corner of a main road. The ladies set is a really good deal, and there are plenty of vegan curries to choose from. The place is a little small, and can sometimes seem fairly quiet but don't let this distract you from the good food and the good prices.

Pros: Inexpensive, Plenty of choice, Good location
Cons: Bit quiet and small

jesse
jesse

Worth a try

3 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2013

This place was pretty good for what it is. After having spent too much time in India, I've gone off Indian food. But after having been in Japan for a while, I needed a break from all the delicious kabocha tempura. So I braved this Indian restaurant.

I requested a vegan thali, and they made me one. One of the curries had seitan in it which was pretty nice. As far as I could tell, it was all vegan except for the dessert - a halva which was *definitely* made with ghee.

Go here is you need a break from Japanese food -- but be adamant about your food being made vegan for you.

The location is easy to find: take Exit 6 from Yotsubashi station a previous reviewer has stated, make an immediate right and go to the end of the block - it's the last store on the right - on the corner before the intersection and says "Shama" on a small wooden sign. It's a couple stores after Family Mart.

Pros: Potentially vegan, easy enough to find, tasty food
Cons: Not cheap, Certain dishes possibly non-vegan
Jan Hicks
Jan Hicks

A Worthy Cause And Delicious Food

5 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2013

We ate dinner here tonight. It was easy to find - just one block from the Yotsubashi subway station exit 6 heading south. The food is delicious. We had baigan paneer and aloo ghobi with rice and naan plus two beers for 3500Yen. The Indian beer Golden Eagle is well worth a try. The staff are lovely, very friendly and attentive, but leave you alone while eating. They speak both English and Japanese. You can buy trinkets and publications to help support the building of the school. If you are in Osaka and like curry, I highly recommend it.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Good Value, Good Location
Suzbuster
Suzbuster

good food, nice small restaurant, good location

3 Posted on 04 / 03 / 2013

Good Indian food. Had the 'lady set' meal for Y1500 and a Malibu and pineapple juice for ¥500 (ie fairly standard drinks prices for Jp).

Asked for the meal to be made vegan as per what other reviewers had done here. Totally obliging they were, as though I hadn't asked anything fussy at all. The service was simple, unaffected, unobtrusive, yet polite and totally aware of when I was ready to order etc. I was however asked to leave at 10:15pm as they apparently closed at 10pm. But I didn't mind.

The food was mixed. The salad and soup starters were okay but lame. Ditto for the naan. However, the soya tikka, samosa and veggie curry were all great. The iced chai was okay but nothing special. My Malibu was of course totes oishi.

All in all I would go back...but I wouldn't rush back to ravage the menu like a half starved gourmand who'd missed lunch.

The place is also right near amerika mura.., and is hence convenient to many sightseeing locations in that area.

As a final note, no one in the place said a word to me about the work being done by the owner in India...perhaps they have toned that down?? However I probably would have actually liked to hear about it.

slo0go
slo0go

Great Indian Food with a bit of a Japanese Twist

5 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2012

A little difficult to find. The restaurant is located on the block catty corner from Starbucks. However, it isn't exactly across the street; you have to walk up the block, past the convenience store (Family Mart, I think).

The food is great, and the proprietor is very nice! He was rather chatty, but we didn't mind at all. We both ordered two dinner sets. The naan was a little unusual - it was crunchy. I liked it, but it's not like any other naan I had. I enjoyed this Indian meal because there were bits of Japanese flavor added, such as daikon and black sesame seeds. Also, there was a vegan bean dessert that was absolutely delicious, and vegan iced chai! I think I spent about 3000 yen for dinner for two. No credit cards - cash only.

Pros: Delicious!!!
Cons: Difficult to find (as usual in Japan), Cash Only
David Ward
David Ward

Enjoyable meal.

4 Posted on 12 / 20 / 2011

I went with family. A party of 5. Most had the A set banquet but I had the B. All meals were brought out timely and tasted terrific!

Owner spoke better English than Japanese. He also offered all meals can be made vegan without being asked about it which was great because my girlfriend and I are vegan.

Some people were annoyed with the constant mentioning of the owners charity and his efforts to employ peoples skills on his project. But the food was great in a nice secluded place.

Pros: Food, Vegan options, English speaking
Cons: Overly social

Dear Owner and Manager of Indian Restaurant Shama: