Vegetarian Indian restaurant themed on the British Raj of the 1920's. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Beer/Wine

Joocc
Joocc

Love The Indian Melody !

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2014

Enjoy the delights of the menu at Melody
All food is prepared in open kitchen from scratch using the freshest of ingredients
Love the Vegan Mysore Dosa
Saag Aloo (specially prepared) is a must !

Pros: Will prepare individual dishes, Excellent staff /service, Good information on all dishes
Cons: Not enough Vegan options, Limited opening times, Limited tea selection
Catmogg
Catmogg

Great authentic southern indian dining experience

4 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2012

The restaurant was relaxed and the owner came to our table to make recommendations. We had a really tasty starter followed by a main which included a dosa and side. Id never tried any of the food before and really enjoyed the subtle flavours! It flavours were great and all the food was subtly spiced and delicate. It was the perfect indian. As a vegan i was very well catered for and my dining partner who usually eats meat was very impressed. Excellent.

Pros: authentic, delicious , very reasonable price
Cons: decor
ceejay44
ceejay44

Delicious and vegan-friendly

5 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2012

I stumbled across this restaurant by accident when I was visiting Southampton and it turned out to be the best part of my visit! They serve authentic Indian cuisine, rather than the anglicised version of it that most Brits are more familiar with. The menu is very extensive, so luckily the owner is on hand to help make decisions and recommendations. A very large percentage of the menu is vegan (sorry I can't remember the figure), so for me it was very refreshing to find somewhere where I didn't have to worry about what I was eating. I can't express enough how helpful, friendly and knowledgeable the staff are. The decor and atmosphere is very homely and the food is cooked in an open kitchen (should you want to watch). The food was absolutely delicious and I wouldn't hesitate in returning if I am ever in the area again, or in recommending this restaurant to others.

Pros: Excellent food, Great service

poll
poll

A rare authentic treat for Soton & veggie to boot!

5 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2011

Southampton has lots of restaurants but few are really special or different so we'll definitely be going back to help make sure this one stays - if you're vegetarian you really must go as a) it's lovely and b) vege restaurants in Southampton don't always get enough support, but since this one should appeal to everyone, simply because the food is so good, I am optimistic! We reckon this is the best Indian food we've had in Southampton, and possibly in the UK - fresh, authentic & unusual, but also down to earth & unshowy. Extensive menu if you know your South Indian/Sri Lankan food but if not don't be baffled, the owner just brought us some recommendations we would probably never have picked but were delicious - we left feeling full but not bloated as we often do after a curry. Nice relaxed atmosphere - felt a bit like being on holiday. We spent £45 for 2 people - 3 courses inc side dishes and beer, but if you just want a simple meal you could get dosa and a pint for under £10 (it's on the edge of the shopping area for a quiet haven at lunch time).

Pros: Delicious, Authentic, Not too greasy!
naomiyoung
naomiyoung

delicious, fresh, excellent value, welcoming!

5 Posted on 03 / 13 / 2011

I visited this restaurant with my husband yesterday and we both enjoyed the meal and the venue immensely! For £5 per person we had the set meal (there is a choice of 5!) All of which included a dessert and coffee! The food was fresh, flavoursome and excellent value for money. The owner was very welcoming and the decor interesting, with lovely antique furniture. We will definitely return....and would recommend this charming vegetarian Indian restaurant to anyone!

Pros: excellent value, delicious, authentic cuisine, friendly, welcoming staff
NickTann
NickTann

Possibly the best food I have ever eaten

5 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2011

I also wrote this review for Trip Advisor

I was so impressed with my meal that I have have joined this site SPECIFICALY to give it a review.
I visited last week with my wife and 14 year old daughter, all of us vegetarians.
We were welcomed by a very friendly woman who explained the menu and recommended some starters for us, which we ordered. They were amazing! Fresh and tasty and not dripping in ghee, When we asked her how they were made she explained the whole process. The manager then came over to check on us and we asked hem to recommend out main courses, which he did. He got it exactly right even chosing something perfect for my often faddy 14 year old!
I can't recommend this place highly enough. The staff were friendly and enthusiastic and the food was out of this world. All fresh ingredients and freshly cooked. Marvelous!!

Pros: Great Food, Great Service , Very Friendly
abster76
abster76

You must try this restaurant!

5 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2010

I'd like to begin by saying that I concur that some of these reviews were clearly written by competitors, worried about their new competition. Ignore them and try it for yourself - we loved it!
I'm vegetarian and visited this restaurant with my vegetarian friend today. Both of us were thrilled to find a vegetarian Indian restaurant open during the day - with 156 savoury dishes to choose from! A wide range of vegetarian desserts (not your bog-standard indian restaurant fare of overly-sweet ice creams in pottery bowls) features on the menu and all the wines and beers are vegetarian as well. How marvellous is that?? The owners really care about the ethics of vegetarianism and their chefs do a wonderful job in the open kitchen.
We shared potato bajis (not found these anywhere since I was in Bradford years ago) and each had a thali, with a beautiful selection of dishes which included a dessert. Followed this up with a liqueur and a coffee and cannot praise the place highly enough. The food is clearly freshly prepared, bursting with flavour, and wonderful conversation can be had with the owners. I'll be going back as often as possible, and will take my partner and child next time (they're very family friendly). Try it!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, open daytimes
MLily16
MLily16
  • non-vegetarian

PERFECT

5 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2010

Firstly, I'd just like to say that i have just read Indian Melody's response to some of the not so nice reviews about their restaurant and i feel what they have written is very professional and respectable.
Indian Melody's food is simply amazing, I eat there at least once or twice a month, the food is unique and FRESH beyond measures, all the flavours explode on your took in a wonderful whirlwind of flavour.
I would definitely recommend this restaurant to everyone. It is amazing. And may I just add that I am a meat eater and I have no objection to the food, I love it!

Gez
Gez

Excellent Restaurant

5 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2010

I've eaten at this restaurant a couple of times since it opened, most recently in early September, and both times have found the food exceptionally good. It is clear everything has been cooked to order with fresh ingredients, the quality has been outstanding. The owner is very attentive, and extremely passionate about his business and vegetarianism. Talking to him is an experience not to be missed. I would definitely recommend dining here.

moonraker
moonraker

Excellent for vegans

5 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2010

Helpful owner and friendly staff. We mentioned that we were vegan and they made sure that the food we chose was vegan.
Sparklingly clean cutlery and antique furniture throughout make this restaurant look much more expensive than it actually is.

Pros: Helpful staff, Great ambiance, Reasonable prices
Cons: Difficult to park as on busy street.
rebecca burke
rebecca burke

brilliant restaurant

5 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2010

I am vegan and went to the Indian Melody restaurant in Southampton recently. It was lovely and the food was gorgeous, the best Indian food I have ever had! The service is great and the owner is very attentive and always happy to help. It is reassuring to know I can ask for dishes to be cooked the way I want them to be cooked and for it to never be a problem. Will be going again!

Pros: food, service, atmosphere
Cons: vegan items could be labelled on menu.
Petrina
Petrina

New Veg Indian

5 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2010

There are very few options in Southampton that are purely vegetarian and even fewer where vegans are completely understood. Indian Melody went out of their way to make sure all of our dishes were vegan and they were all brilliant! We've been there twice so far and will be visiting over and over again. The food is freshly prepared, the staff are very friendly, the atmosphere is just wonderful, and it's a very good location. (Their website isn't ready yet, but they told us they are working on that. They just opened a few weeks ago so hopefully that will be up soon, and that will be extremely helpful.)

Pros: vegan understanding, fresh, delicious food, lovely atmosphere
J Harrow
J Harrow

Indian Melody

5 Posted on 05 / 07 / 2010

Brilliant Indian Vegetarian food. Great atmosphere and staff. Open kitchen using fresh ingredients, no cans or pre packed stuff. Lots of Southern Indian dishes

Pros: Indian, Vegetarian, Fresh

Dear Owner and Manager of Indian Melody: