CLOSED: Indian Delight

South Indian vegetarian food. Buffet style dining in a food court. Confirmed closed, Sep 2014. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Fast food, Buffet, Indian, Take-out
1100 Pennsylvania Ave NW (Old Post Office Pavillion, Federal Triangle Metro station, Downtown Washington D.C.)
Washington, District Of Columbia 20004
202-371-2295

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by khb
sirhin
sirhin

Cheap & Delicious!

Posted on 12 / 28 / 2013

Oh, Indian food - you are my weak spot. We had a fun time finding the place (in the Old Post Office Pavilion) and getting to the food court. Once there, we almost missed it because it was located behind one of the stairways but out of all the places there, this one had the longest line. That was promising!

The lady owner was really nice and helpful. We don't eat onion or garlic and she was Jain (which means she follows the same diet, even though they serve food with onion/garlic) so she knew exactly what we could and couldn't eat. It was still pretty decent - 3 curries, the samosas, the bread and rices...

We ended up getting two orders of the 2 curry special which included, obviously, 2 curries, rice of choice, raita, and fried puri. We also got an order of the samosa. The curries weren't that spicy - it had a good amount of heat but nothing that had me scrambling at water - and perfect. I had the vegetable biryani and my husband had the plain basmati. The puri was oily, but what do you expect from deep fried bread (I wish they also offered a non-fried option with the meal)? Still good, though. The rice gave it something extra. The samosa had to number at a top favorite out of all the samosas I ever had the pleasure of eating. We also ordered a Salty Lassi and a Mango Lassi to go with.

It was DELICIOUS and if I lived in DC, I would definitely be a regular. It's not fine dining but it definitely hit the spot. However, I also overheard that they would be closing soon (by February) so get the goodness soon! I'm not sure if they're relocating or closing for good, but it must not be due to lack of business. :)

Pros: great food, very helpful staff, cheap/good value
Cons: may be moving soon
heywood100
heywood100

Worth a go - cheapest place in the area

Posted on 10 / 05 / 2013

I have to disagree a little with the other two reviews, I had a perfectly serviceable meal here - not exactly fine dining, but good for the price. It's located in the shopping mall where dreams come to die, on the lower level of the Old Post Office - maybe it was just my bad luck for being there during the shutdown, but the surroundings were gloomy as anything, and Indian Delight was one of about five places open in the entire building.

We were greeted in a very friendly manner, given little taster spoons of some of the options (of which there was about 7 or 8). I went for the $8 combo of two mains, rice and bread, and chose the aloo gobi and chana masala. Both of them were, as suggested above, perfectly fine - exactly what you'd expect from cheap Indian food, spicy and filling. The bread was my only complaint, being a rather over-fried thing. I guess a second complaint might be that there was literally too much food for the price, and I ended up having to give up on finishing it.

I also had a mango lassi which was thicker than expected - more like a mango yoghurt in a cup, but I don't consider that a complaint in the slightest, I almost bought a second one.

donovan1983
donovan1983

Cheap And Close To The Mall, But Not Very Good

Posted on 07 / 24 / 2013

Despite the reviews I decided to give this place a shot. I had had some sort of spinach and eggplant curry with bhyrani (not sure of spelling) rice and naan. The naan was decent and the best part of the meal. The rice didn't have much flavor beyond turmeric. The curry tasted like canned spinach and I had to dump the little container of sweet tamarind chutney on it just to eat it. The service was friendly at least but that's not enough for me to want to come back here.

Pros: Friendly Service, Inexpensive, Closer To The National Mall
Cons: Mediocre Flavors, Nothing Tasted Very Fresh

khb
khb

Not a stand-out

Posted on 05 / 04 / 2008

I've been here twice, once for a full meal and once to get a samosa for a snack. Both times the food left me feeling underwhelmed. It was perfectly edible, but something about the seasoning seemed a bit off. I probably will not go back.

Pros: fast counter service, central location, calories listed on menu
Cons: food is not great, cash only

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Indian Delight: